Your Mario Power-Up Ideas

MikeyO11

Microgamer Extordinair
What Mario power-ups would you like to see? I would like to see a power-up that gives Mario a genderswap, Mariette. It would give "her" Peach's ability in Super Paper Mario to use her dress or skirt to glide through the air.

...Okaaaay. I'm not saying that's wrong or anything, but I don't see Nintendo going for that.

I personally want to see a Thunder Flower that can allow you to shoot lightning bolts which paralyze enemies on contact, rendering them immobile even in midair.

Count Mario said:
...Okaaaay. I'm not saying that's wrong or anything, but I don't see Nintendo going for that.

I personally want to see a Thunder Flower that can allow you to shoot lightning bolts which paralyze enemies on contact, rendering them immobile even in midair.

You stole my idea D: I'd also like to see Mario obtain telekinetic powers and the ability to levitate, but somehow else, different from a mushroom or flower.

Edit: Before someone says it, flying =/= levitating. I mean levitating as in Mario being able to float above spikes, lava, acid, whatever.

Anser said:
Count Mario said:

You stole my idea D: I'd also like to see Mario obtain telekinetic powers and the ability to levitate, but somehow else, different from a mushroom or flower.

Edit: Before someone says it, flying =/= levitating. I mean levitating as in Mario being able to float above spikes, lava, acid, whatever.
Actually I've had this idea for years, in fact even when I first played Mario Bros. by wondering what other elements would be like with flowers like the Fire Flower.

Anyways, Telekinetic Mario sounds awesome! The item could be an orb or something now that I think about it.

I would also like to see Mario wear a Bob-omb Suit which allows him to explode at any time and charge his explosions. However, you have to wait for the suit to charge up again after exploding to prevent spamming.

How about a Fish Mario? The best way I could describe it is this line from the DK Rap: "He may move slow, he can't jump high. But underwater, he's one heck of a guy!"

About a year ago I posted an idea at Newgrounds.
Hyper Shroom: Makes Mario run super fast like crazy, even faster than Sonic!

Downside: He can't stop, so he might fall off ledges.
ngbbs4dd382409c0ef.gif

Anser said:
I'd also like to see Mario obtain telekinetic powers and the ability to levitate, but somehow else, different from a mushroom or flower.
Telekinesis... that's a paranormal feature I like. (Don't think anyone knew that. I once want to be able to do that myself... I once had dreams about it ... *buzzer*)
Think about a floating mushroom.

Ok, just going to take my list here (these assume some sort of status effects has been added into Mario)

Zapp Ball (Like the ones seen in lightning cup, a black ball with a lightning in it): Mario throws bolts which go straight and paralyze enemies.

Mud Flower (A brown flower): Mario lobs mud, making enemies dizzy and stuck. They are slowed when they start moving again. In multiplayer on handhelds, this goops up other peoples screens like a blooper in MK7.

Retro Flower (This is a modern version of the Flower from SMW): You can get this after a fire flower, making mario orange-suited. Mario's fir balls do a bit more damage (bosses) and are a bit bigger, and if he gets hit he reverts to normal fire flower instead of becoming super mario.

Sumo-bro suit: We've got the others, so this would allow you to throw big hammers (you need to wait a bit to charge them, so you can't do many at once), and when you jump enemies are stunned for a bit.

Spearbit: Gives Mario a spear-guy suit. This, in 3D games, shows a target allowing him to aim the spear he lobs. He can also use it close-range, as well.

Yoshi Egg Throwing in NSMB games: Exactly what it sounds like. And in the island games, there should be different types of eggs such as bomb eggs (explode destroying a larger area) and heat-seeking eggs.

Dragon Yoshi: Like riding the Yoshi from SSBB when he gets the Smash Ball but in SMB.

Bomb suit: Mario can throw bombs.

I've come up with these all before seeing this except for the sumo-bro suit, so I know other people have said some of these. They're my ideas as well.

I'd like to see a power-up that gives Mario Whomp like powers, so he can crash down on enemies sorta like the Tanooki Suits statue ability. Also a swimming upgrade would be cool, like the old frog suit from SMB3.

Since it's Kirby's 20th anniversary, what about a Kirby suit? You use it to suck enemies up and then shoot them out as stars, or swallow them and take their powers.

A sword ability like in the Kirby games.

Heck, any ability from the Kirby games would make a great ability for Mario.

I've always wanted to see a Mario power-up that allowed him to physically manipulate the level.

And I don't mean like the Mega Mushroom, which just destroys everything, I mean like actually messing with the shape and form of the level.

I don't know if something similar has been posted but maybe a thundercloud Mario powerup?

He could make noises that sound like thunder to scare enemies and shoot lightning at enemies to temporarly paralyze them!!!

In a pinch, a Bob-Omb Mario that could be used to hit hard on bosses only but has a slight chance of hitting Mario hard, as well, which could result in a "Game Over". It would appear somewhat like the White Super Leaf in SM3DL.

Also, a Tornado Mario when he does some massive spinning.

•1½ Super Mario. Inbetween small Mario and Super Mario; requires two or more hits to break blocks. When damaged, becomes mini Mario.

•Little Firey Mario, from a bug/cheat in the original 8 bit games. Damage turns him into a large "vulnerable" Mario (looks "super", but one hit kills him).

SKmarioman said:
About a year ago I posted an idea at Newgrounds.
Hyper Shroom: Makes Mario run super fast like crazy, even faster than Sonic!

Downside: He can't stop, so he might fall off ledges.
That's basically the Dash Pepper in SMG2, (though that's actually Yoshi eating it; still, same exact effect).

Anser said:

Sounds awesome! Now my ideas

Poison Flower: Makes Mario purple, but also gives him venomous powers.

Ice Cape: When Mario swings this cape, a blizzard would come out of it, freezing enemies.

Lakitu Cloud: Mario gets to ride in a cloud, he can also toss Spiny Eggs.

Boomerang Mario: Similiar to the Hammer Mario powerup but Mario can toss a boomerang at enemies.

Minuette said:
What about a Sword powerup?
Like Link in Zelda games?

Anyways, there could be a wizard powerup. I was gonna say Boo Mario, but that's in SMG. There could also be a water Mario thing. He could drown enemies, and swim better!

I've always wanted to have a Kirby powerup in Mario games, Copy Mario. One-use only. He can copy anything (even bosses, but they become the miniature version of themselves, i.e. Goomboss = goomba, Bowser = koopa, etc.) and use that power until he decides to stop. Once Mario stops, he must get a Copy Mushroom or Copy Flower to regain his power. Bob-Ombs can only be used once, and with slight damage to Mario himself.

Baja said:
I've always wanted to have a Kirby powerup in Mario games, Copy Mario. One-use only. He can copy anything (even bosses, but they become the miniature version of themselves, i.e. Goomboss = goomba, Bowser = koopa, etc.) and use that power until he decides to stop. Once Mario stops, he must get a Copy Mushroom or Copy Flower to regain his power. Bob-Ombs can only be used once, and with slight damage to Mario himself.

That's more like the Ghost ability, not the Copy ability.

A brick flower that gives mario the ability to throw bricks

A bone flower that gives Mario the ability to throw bones
the downside is if Mario lands from a great hight Mario will break a bone and if Mario breaks all the bones he will lose the power up

Last edited:
Back