A comparison between Melee and Brawl

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
Caution: Due to opinion related subject matter, reader discretion is advised.

No fanboy rants, please. I'm simply giving my comparison between Melee and Brawl.

Graphics
Without a doubt, Brawl wins in this category. The characters, attacks, stages, and everything just looks better than it does in Melee. Of course, it all depends if you like it more realistic or cartoony. But hey, this is my comparison and I like it a bit more realistic. However, Brawl is on a seventh gen. console and Melee is on a sixth gen, so I'll cut it some slack.

Adventure Mode
Okay. This is where the fanboys get mad. I have to give this category to Brawl also. There is so much more to it in Brawl. You can fight bosses, you're not restricted to using one character, and there's more to it. Adventure mode in Melee just feels like Classic Mode at times. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but Brawl just has a bigger and better adventure mode.

Sound
This is a tie. Both have great sound effects and music. Both games have a large soundtrack full of new music and great remixes of classics from Nintendo's franchises. I couldn't choose between Melee or Brawl for this part, so they both win. However, I like the My Music in Brawl, but we'll get to that later.

Gameplay
Please don't kill me as I discuss this. This was hard to choose from, but I have to go with Brawl. While wavedashing is impossible in Brawl and people dislike it for that, Brawl has smoother gameplay. It's hard to compare due to the new physics. Other nice additions are the ability to wall jump, the fact that every character can swim, and footstool jumps. However, I didn't like the fact that tether recoveries aren't as important. Brawl also has final smashes, which is a plus. Brawl wins again, but not by much.

Customization
Well, Melee doesn't really have it. So I guess Brawl wins be default. In Brawl, you can select what music plays on what stage, you can add stickers to a character to enhance their abilities, you can create names, and you can create custom stages. So, another win for Brawl.

Menus
Melee wins. I'll explain why. You see, Melee and Brawl were darker and more serious games compared to the original. The menus on Brawl are too colorful. Melee's menus have a cool look to them. So I have to say Melee wins. I just don't like the Brawl menu.

Characters
Now for the good stuff. This was very hard to choose from, but Brawl gets another win. First of all, it has more characters, which is a plus. Secondly, a lot of the clone characters from Melee are gone. Now, I know what you're thinking. "How dare you make fun of Roy." Well, he's a clone of Marth. His replacement, Ike, is not. Yes, I know there are still clones in Brawl, like Toon Link and Lucas, but Brawl still wins. My only complaint is that Brawl lacks Mewtwo. You know, if Meta Knight was in Melee, none of this would matter.

Game Modes
This is another win for Brawl. Both have many of the same modes. While Melee does offer the modes with the different camera angles. Brawl offers more. Such examples include Boss Battle, Rotation, Wi-fi, Masterpieces, and a shit ton of stuff in the Vault and data sections. Brawl wins again.

Difficulty
I give this part to Melee. Brawl wasn't much of a challenge for me. Challenge is a good thing, and Melee delivers. Unlike in Brawl, there were times when playing Melee that I just wanted to throw my Gamecube controller at the screen and yell. Melee wins in this category.

Fun
Anyone remember fun? This is a tie. Both these games are entertaining as hell and I highly recommend both of them. You need them in your game library.

Conclusion
In conclusion, Brawl comes out on top. There's just more to it. That's not to say Melee is bad. Melee is an outstanding game. Brawl is just better. But just remember, this is just my opinion. So don't try to bite my head off. If you think Melee is better, I respect your opinion. These are just my thoughts.

Pretty much all of this except for sound; I love all the music in Brawl.

I disagree on your opinion with Brawl's characters being better than Melee's. Melee added major characters to the Nintendo series that couldn't make it in the original, namely Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Ganondorf, etc. Brawl didn't do too much of that but they did add characters such as Olimar, Ike, etc. Also, cutting characters is atrocious, especially Mewtwo's removal

Second, the balance of the characters is heavily out of the whack. Meta Knight is immensely broken; so broken, tournaments banned him. He was the first and only character to be banned in tournaments. On the other hand, Ganondorf is without a doubt the worst character who doesn't have any positive or even neutral matchups. While Pichu is a terrible character in the game it appeared in, at least it has some more positive stuff to say about it than Ganondorf.

Actually I'd say Pichu is worse than Ganondorf. Not only is Pichu very light, all of his moves hurt him.

I almost forgot about Meta Knight. Yeah, he can go die in a hole (or at least be severely nerfed).

Baby Luigi said:
On the other hand, Ganondorf is without a doubt the worst character who doesn't have any positive or even neutral matchups. While Pichu is a terrible character in the game it appeared in, at least it has some more positive stuff to say about it than Ganondorf.

but Ganondorf is one of my best characters... :(

Baby Luigi said:
Melee added major characters to the Nintendo series that couldn't make it in the original, namely Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Ganondorf, etc. Brawl didn't do too much of that but they did add characters such as Olimar, Ike, etc.

While that is true, I believe Brawl had bette additions, such as characters for representation of other series that had little to none (Pikmin and DK) and obscure games (Mother 3). Or maybe I'm biased because I could play as Dedede, Olimar, and Lucas.

Red Barchetta said:
Baby Luigi said:
On the other hand, Ganondorf is without a doubt the worst character who doesn't have any positive or even neutral matchups. While Pichu is a terrible character in the game it appeared in, at least it has some more positive stuff to say about it than Ganondorf.

I like Ganondorf too, he's funny to play with, but according to the tier list, Ganondorf is indisputably the worst. It's sad, really.

Baby Luigi said:
Red Barchetta said:
Baby Luigi said:

I like Ganondorf too, he's funny to play with, but according to the tier list, Ganondorf is indisputably the worst. It's sad, really.
I didn't get that either until I looked it up. Apparently,

Pros:

Ganondorf has an above average range and has very powerful attacks (some of which can act as gimps, most notably his dair).
His high weight allows him to survive at high percentages.
His grab game, especially when combined with Flame Choke, is also decent.

Cons:

He's one of the slowest characters in the game, making him very easy to punish.
The removal of L-canceling makes his aerial approach considerably worse.
His lack of a projectile and his sluggishness also limits his ground approach.
The addition of a slow, predictable recovery and a bad defensive game brings him down even further, allowing many characters to outmanouevre him.

Lucas is not a clone of Ness. It's what is sometimes called a Luigification, or to say in more proper words, a semi-clone. BUT, Lucas happens to be better than Ness because:

-His attacks are faster.
-PK Freeze immobilizes foes for a few seconds and travels faster than PK Flash, which almost never gets to hit because it's too slow and Ness always gets hit before he can land the attack.
-Lucas's PK Thunder can go through foes, while Ness's can not.

I agree on everything else (how dare they remove Mewtwo). The only thing I would say is that Brawl's soundtrack does beat Melee's, because while both were excellent, Brawl's is more extense, and that's why it wins in my opinion.

Super Mario Sunshine VS. Super Mario Galaxy.
That would be good.

Super Mario Galaxy VS. NSMBW

I guess it would...
SMB3 VS. SMW

Back