Should Nintendo make another Super Mario RPG?

I'm perfectly content with Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, but I wouldn't mind a sequel. Only problem though is Square since they're so uptight about the rights to the game's original content...

Count Mario said:
I'm perfectly content with Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, but I wouldn't mind a sequel. Only problem though is Square since they're so uptight about the rights to the game's original content...

I pretty much agree with this post. I'd love to see a sequel for SMRPG (it's one of my favorite Mario games), but since Square worked on it...

I made a game out of this. I think it's going well. As of now, it is not complete, but you can still enjoy what's currently on it. http://userwiki.thegamewiki.com/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG:_Smithy_Returns

I don't see why Square Enix retains the rights to characters it doesn't seem to be planning to use. Give them to Nintendo, and then we can see a proper sequel.

Byakuya Togami said:
I don't see why Square Enix retains the rights to characters it doesn't seem planning to use. Give them to Nintendo, and then we can see a proper sequel.
That's what we've been saying all of these years. However, Square simply wants to troll us.

Sunscreen said:
Super Mario RPG was a very fun game on the SNES. :mario: :bowser: :peach: (<--characters from the game.)
Mario, Bowser and Peach in the same game? Wow!

Squeenix and Ninty are cool right? They did Fortune Street and Mario Sports Mix and all that jazz together right? What's a couple of characters between buddies?

The Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series are enough, and long may they continue, bringing another Mario RPG into the mix would be oversaturating it. I'd however be open to Squeenix having some sort of involvement in the next Mario and Luigi game for the sake of Mallow, Geno and maybe even Smithy making a return. Oh, and the Axem Rangers too.

Tatanga said:
Sunscreen said:
Super Mario RPG was a very fun game on the SNES. :mario: :bowser: :peach: (<--characters from the game.)
Mario, Bowser and Peach in the same game? Wow!

Squeenix and Ninty are cool right? They did Fortune Street and Mario Sports Mix and all that jazz together right? What's a couple of characters between buddies?

The Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series are enough, and long may they continue, bringing another Mario RPG into the mix would be oversaturating it. I'd however be open to Squeenix having some sort of involvement in the next Mario and Luigi game for the sake of Mallow, Geno and maybe even Smithy making a return. Oh, and the Axem Rangers too.
Must you catch everything?
I was talking about how they were all partners.

The only reason I would want a new Super Mario RPG is to quiet Geno's fanbase

You might have to think what if we remake the old RPG in WiiU. If it's still using 3D artworks and maps, it would be very similar to 3D mainstream games even though the way of attacking minons might be different.

M&L is a simple handheld series, and Paper series have strong 2.5D artworks. Both two have different features while Super RPG was a game that directly made for RPG in SNES era.

Count Mario said:
That may be one answer, but we've never seen any other things about this game while SE still work with Nintendo in several spinoffs. (eg, Geno playable in Fortune Street) It might just be that they never think about it.

Sunscreen said:
Must you catch everything?
I was talking about how they were all partners.
I'm a nice guy really. I've phoned charity telethons many times to pledge donations, I even gave them MY credit card number once.

Would anyone sacrifice either the Paper Mario series or the Mario and Luigi series for the sake of a continuation of the Super Mario RPG series?

I want a RPG with Luigi as the protagonist and have partners similiar to the ones in Paper Mario (notable members).

Back