The inclusion of Miis in the future Mario games.

Propeller Toad

Dislikes the amount of neglect Toad receives...
I understand that a few topics have already been made of people sharing their opinions about what they think of the Mii characters that have recently started appearing in multiple Mario games since their introduction in Mario Party 8. However, while this topic also covers opinions of the Miis, this is more of a discussion of how far the Miis will be implemented in the future Mario games.

During yesterday's e3, a "behind the scenes interview" was provided for the recently introduced game New Super Mario Bros. U. Within the interview, the developers provided the reason as to why the Miis were implemented in this game. See below:

"Well, it's something we actually talked about last year. I think it's the introduction of the Mii characters into the Mario universe. Traditionally you use Mario characters, and you haven't been able to use Mii characters. One thing we have noticed in multiplayer titles is that sometimes people have a hard time telling which character they're playing. I think with the introduction of Mii characters, we've solved that issue. You're able to easily identify who you are, and because it's your Mii. Some of the emotions that we try to evoke when we're making a game come across more easily because it's your Mii character in the game.

I really think the HD has made it possible to, again, make those Mii characters so easily recognizable. You're easily able to identify with that character on the screen. And of course, if you look at the game as a total package, the increase in the graphical fidelity, the power that we have now, is quite obvious. But where we make the best use of it, again, is in the Mii character presentation."


- Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/e3-2012-behind-the-scenes-of-new-super-mario-bros-u

We've already seen the Miis being forced into the Mario games as optional characters in the past; however, could the introduction of the Miis in the Mushroom Kingdom (as said in the interview) change the Mario series as whole? Could we truly be seeing more Miis as opposed to actual Mario characters in future platformers and Mario games if Nintendo does believe that the gamers have difficulty identifying the character that they are playing as?

I for one truly hope that the Miis do not get too heavily implemented in more of the Mario games like NSMBU seems to be making them. Spin-offs are fine; however, recently it seems that Nintendo has been focusing on them a lot considering the recent games including the above mentioned Mario title and even Mario Tennis Open. The Miis were fun at first and are by no doubt successful; however, I personally hope that they do not go too far with the idea.

Your thoughts? Discuss... :???:
 

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
Re: The Inclusion of Miis in the future Mario games..

Personally, I think Miis should be implemented, but only in a Mario Kart kind of way- completely optional. I don't want to have to deal with them, and there are opportunities for creative Mario series characters still out there.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
One thing we have noticed in multiplayer titles is that sometimes people have a hard time telling which character they're playing
Really? How are Mii characters any different? In fact, I think the Miis look more similar to each other than Mario is to Luigi. I don't know what kind of lame excuse they're making up of putting Miis in Mario games; NO ONE I KNEW had issues on who they are playing as.
 

Super Mario the Hedgehog

...I've been looking forward to it.
Baby Luigi said:
One thing we have noticed in multiplayer titles is that sometimes people have a hard time telling which character they're playing
Really? How are Mii characters any different? In fact, I think the Miis look more similar to each other than Mario is to Luigi. I don't know what kind of lame excuse they're making up of putting Miis in Mario games; NO ONE I KNEW had issues on who they are playing as.
"Hey, I can't decide whether I'm playing as the fat, red, and short Italian plumber, the green, skinny, and tall Italian plumber, the baby with a blue mushroom head and vest, or the bay with a yellow mushroom head and vest. They all look SO similar."
*Facepalm*
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
What's funny is that their decision to add two Toads might have been the source of this "confusion". If it causes so much confusion, why can't they replace the Toads with more distinguishable characters?

Even then, Blue Toad and Yellow Toad's colors are enough to tell them apart.

Why does Nintendo assume that the players are colorblind?
 

Zero777

Middle Eastern Federation
Hopefully when Miis are in future games I hope it isn't like Mario Super Sluggers where they are all just the same.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Xia Wang said:
Hopefully when Miis are in future games I hope it isn't like Mario Super Sluggers where they are all just the same.
You mean like Mario Kart where their stats get altered based on height and width?
 

Zero777

Middle Eastern Federation
Baby Luigi said:
Xia Wang said:
Hopefully when Miis are in future games I hope it isn't like Mario Super Sluggers where they are all just the same.
You mean like Mario Kart where their stats get altered based on height and width?
Yes, that was a good stepping stone, but now they need to take it a bit further without making them look ridiculous like the Miis in Mario Tennis Open.
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
Actually, my cousins had a hard time remembering whether they were Blue or Yellow Toad. I had to remind them at times (of course, they had no trouble with KRTDR).
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Minuette said:
Actually, my cousins had a hard time remembering whether they were Blue or Yellow Toad. I had to remind them at times (of course, they had no trouble with KRTDR).
So why Nintendo add the Toads in the first place to arise confusion?

So they can find an excuse to put Miis in the Marioverse?
 

Zero777

Middle Eastern Federation
They should actually have a complete backstory in the Miis in the Mushroom Kingdom, like origins, and make them official residence of the marioverse.
 

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
Xia Wang said:
Baby Luigi said:
Xia Wang said:
Hopefully when Miis are in future games I hope it isn't like Mario Super Sluggers where they are all just the same.
You mean like Mario Kart where their stats get altered based on height and width?
Yes, that was a good stepping stone, but now they need to take it a bit further without making them look ridiculous like the Miis in Mario Tennis Open.
I got an idea, similar to Career Mode in MLB11 The Show.

When you play as a Mii for the first time in a game, you're given 24 rating "stars" you gan give to your Mii, and customize it for the optimal character to match your skills.

Like in Mario Kart, you can give your Mii a 4/10 in weight, 7/10 in speed, 10/10 in acceleration, and 3/10 in handling; or in Baseball, you can make a 8/10 pitcher, 6/10 hitter, 5/10 runner, and 5/10 fielder.
 

Dorayaki

King Bowser
Re: The Inclusion of Miis in the future Mario games..

Toad85 said:
I don't want to have to deal with them, and there are opportunities for creative Mario series characters still out there.
It's only decide by whethr we are really forced to play as Mii in those Mario titles. Those games we can't be Mario main character are only Fortune Street games and maybe Camelot sport clubs to date.

We don't have evidence that the staff only devote to Miis and don't stress on original characters (according to the record that the staff always make bad rosters). In NSMB seris, the only problem I can think of is Toad and it shows the staff pay attention to other wrong things.
 

Zero777

Middle Eastern Federation
Toad85 said:
Xia Wang said:
Baby Luigi said:
Xia Wang said:
Hopefully when Miis are in future games I hope it isn't like Mario Super Sluggers where they are all just the same.
You mean like Mario Kart where their stats get altered based on height and width?
Yes, that was a good stepping stone, but now they need to take it a bit further without making them look ridiculous like the Miis in Mario Tennis Open.
I got an idea, similar to Career Mode in MLB11 The Show.

When you play as a Mii for the first time in a game, you're given 24 rating "stars" you gan give to your Mii, and customize it for the optimal character to match your skills.

Like in Mario Kart, you can give your Mii a 4/10 in weight, 7/10 in speed, 10/10 in acceleration, and 3/10 in handling; or in Baseball, you can make a 8/10 pitcher, 6/10 hitter, 5/10 runner, and 5/10 fielder.
That's a pretty great idea, that's the kind of thinking I was thinking of.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Koopaul said:
Nintendo's excuse is that they think everyone is an idiot.
Or they're just dying to add Miis in Mario games. Because it looks like a desperate attempt to find a pathetic excuse
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
Baby Luigi said:
Koopaul said:
Nintendo's excuse is that they think everyone is an idiot.
Or they're just dying to add Miis in Mario games. Because it looks like a desperate attempt to find a pathetic excuse
I think their excuse was something about casual gamers that like playing as themselves.
 

Propeller Toad

Dislikes the amount of neglect Toad receives...
Minuette said:
Baby Luigi said:
Koopaul said:
Nintendo's excuse is that they think everyone is an idiot.
Or they're just dying to add Miis in Mario games. Because it looks like a desperate attempt to find a pathetic excuse
I think their excuse was something about casual gamers that like playing as themselves.
It does seem like that. To expect that people would get confused over playing a specific character is somewhat unbelievable. Sure, things may get hectic during a multi-player match; however, adding the Miis really did not provide much more help. In the screenshots, they appear even more identical to each other than the actual Mario characters playable in the game. Even Blue Toad and Yellow Toad share a distinct colour differentiation (though I understand it might be possible for younger gamers to confuse these two despite having distinct colourations).

I'm guessing that Nintendo is still going on the path to promote their Mii characters to the fullest. Miis do represent a strong selling point for them in terms of casuals. I usually do not mind the Miis, but I just feel that stuffing them into a mainstream Mario title just wasn't the right thing to do. Of course, it isn't called NSMB Mii, but there's still something about their forced presence that somewhat bothers me (though I can still handle it for this game based off the info we have so far).
 

Dorayaki

King Bowser
Propeller Toad said:
It does seem like that. To expect that people would get confused over playing a specific character is somewhat unbelievable. Sure, things may get hectic during a multi-player match; however, adding the Miis really did not provide much more help. Even Blue Toad and Yellow Toad share a distinct colour differentiation.
Toad and Toadette do have much more differentiation :???:.

The move and model of Miis has to be individually desinged by each game. In Kart the staff classified Miis with three types, two genders and two clothes, so it does help diversity. However, the information of NSMBU seems that all Miis share the same move and model, which makes them all very similar.

Are Miis used for diversity? It's becoming a common option in all games whether characters are enoguh or not. In Sport Mix example, the staff got rid of some characters from Hoops and add Mii in Wii version, which means original specific characters and Mii are two different things.
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
But still, grilled. As long as they are color blind or does not dim, you can tell the difference between blue and yellow toad toad yet, someone.
 

Propeller Toad

Dislikes the amount of neglect Toad receives...
Dorayaki said:
Propeller Toad said:
It does seem like that. To expect that people would get confused over playing a specific character is somewhat unbelievable. Sure, things may get hectic during a multi-player match; however, adding the Miis really did not provide much more help. Even Blue Toad and Yellow Toad share a distinct colour differentiation.
Toad and Toadette do have much more differentiation :???:.

The move and model of Miis has to be individually desinged by each game. In Kart the staff classified Miis with three types, two genders and two clothes, so it does help diversity. However, the information of NSMBU seems that all Miis share the same move and model, which makes them all very similar.

Are Miis used for diversity? It's becoming a common option in all games whether characters are enoguh or not. In Sport Mix example, the staff got rid of some characters from Hoops and add Mii in Wii version, which means original specific characters and Mii are two different things.
I do have to agree that Nintendo's biggest mistake was to not let Toad and Toadette be the playable Toads in this and NSMB Wii. They'd have quite some differentiation in comparison to Blue and Yellow.

It's true that in Mario Kart, the Miis are somewhat different; however, so far they seem to share the same models here (just different shades of darker colours).

Minuette said:
But still, grilled. As long as they are color blind or does not dim, you can tell the difference between blue and yellow toad toad yet, someone.
It is true that being colour blind could stir a confusion among the Toads though I do wonder why Nintendo kept the Toads if this was the case (Toad + Toadette would have been better fits). Though of course, I'd imagine that it was the 4 colour wheel (red, green, yellow, blue) that prevented Nintendo from using the more notable Toad characters.
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
so i click on this thread to talk about how lame miis are but they're okay i guess

then i see more toad fight or something

whaddahek
 
Top