Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Crackin355 said:
I feel like Paper Mario would be better off sticking off of handhelds.
Ha. Good one.

I sort of like the direction this game is taking. Entirely optional random encounters was done in one of my favorite games, Chrono Cross, rather well, and eliminating much of the traditional RPG nonsense could make for a more streamlined experience. That said, there's really no excuse for a lack of NPCs or proper item management options, and I'm still not sure why partners were removed.

I'm guessing that making the player rely upon stickers for every attack made partners redundant.

Mario4Ever said:
I'm guessing that making the player rely upon stickers for every attack made partners redundant.

This is probably the thinking. Still, the sticker mechanic could've been adjusted to incorporate partners in a non-sticker role, and given all the fan backlash, I'd say they made a mistake here. But like I said, I'm less critical of the new direction than others.

If I'm interpreting the eShop message correctly, I'll have this in about two hours, so I'll let you know how things go.

Uh, B-Birdo, you're being really awkward about now. Stop being on that swing!

So I've completed the first three or four levels, and I'm liking the game so far. The first twenty minutes or so is nothing but the Toad abuse (their dialogue is great). After that begins the quest for the Royal Stickers. Apparently, the goal of each level is to collect a piece of the Sticker Comet. The good thing about that is that you can return to the world map directly from levels you've beaten (it seems as though the stickers in the environment respawn with each entry into a level). I've found the Action Command to be very important, since with stickers that allow you to hit enemies multiple times, you get coins for every hit after the first. I can confirm that Kamek is in the game and that Bowser Jr. has more lines than NYARGLEBARGLE! and so forth. My one issue with the game so far is that it autosaves between levels but still includes Save Blocks. I think that the sticker mechanic is the game's best asset so far, as there is strategy involved in deciding which sticker to use at a given time (since they can be sorted in about five seconds, outside of battle, the reviewer complaint about them being unsorted in battle is pretty much a moot point).

Sounds like fun. But I think the main thing people are worried about is if battles are even worth battling.

Might end up getting this for Christmas, considering it comes out at the beginning of December here, it'll take a week to get mailed here and by then, it'll be 2 or 3 weeks away from Christmas.

Ghost Nappa said:
Looked this up on the wiki

Another fight with Giant Bowser at the end. So original.

dont know what you were expecting. He gets one of those crowns in the first few minutes and grows, so it was kind of obvious.

Crackin355 said:
Ghost Nappa said:
Looked this up on the wiki

Another fight with Giant Bowser at the end. So original.

dont know what you were expecting. He gets one of those crowns in the first few minutes and grows, so it was kind of obvious.
Sorry, I haven't watched the opening yet.

Crackin355 said:
Sounds like fun. But I think the main thing people are worried about is if battles are even worth battling.

Well, battling is an easy way to get coins used to buy stickers to replace those you use (assuming you want more than various Jump and Hammer stickers plastered in some levels), and you can sometimes get stickers for finishing them. I don't know if you'd consider that worth battling enemies, but I do. Besides, it's fun to see how each type and variation of sticker works.

I'll probably end up getting this for Christmas, if it's worth getting.

I mean, I liked all the Paper Marios so far, so I don't see how this game could be that bad.

So tell me Mario4Ever, how large is the sticker supply? Do you ever come in danger of having no stickers? Do stickers work as items (like mushrooms?)

You start out with one page in your album (Kersti gives that to you at some point), and it has a capacity of fifteen stickers. Right now, I have three pages. I got the second one after getting my first Thing Sticker (these take up more space than regular stickers because of their size), and a Toad dropped the third one. I'm not sure what the maximum number of pages is, but what I've got is working for me so far. I've had no issues with maintaining the supply. There are enough stickers in the levels to ensure you always have something to use (worst case scenario (which depends on how badly you suck at fighting a given enemy or group of enemies), you run low at the end of the level and go back to Decalburg for more, which isn't a big deal since coins are readily available. Alternatively, you can revisit earlier levels, since like I said, the stickers in the environment respawn whenever you enter a level). To answer your last question, stickers do work as items, but all I've found so far are Mushroom (standard and shiny) and Poison Mushroom stickers (on a related note, I accidentally poisoned myself once using the Battle Spinner).

Provided you have the right stickers, the enemies aren't that hard, but then, the enemies in PM games never are. For example, when you meet Bowser Jr. for the first time (no idea yet if he shows up again), a Toad gives you a certain sticker, and it turns out that if you don't use it, you can't beat Bowser Jr. because you have to beat him in one turn, you don't have the Battle Spinner yet, and he heals himself if you do anything less than his max HP damage-wise. Other than that, standard PM strategies apply (e.g. spiked enemies can't be jumped on with the regular Jump sticker). Once you get the Battle Spinner, things get interesting, since it allows you to use up to three stickers during your turn rather than one. You can stop the three slots manually, but you also can pay coins to guarantee at least one match and thus at least one additional sticker slot). Should you decide to use more than one slot (if you get more than one, you are not obligated to use them all), strategy comes into play when selecting stickers. Most stickers (at least that I've seen, of course) won't target more than one enemy at a time, and since the game doesn't allow you to select your target, it helps to select stickers which will take out your enemies as efficiently as possible (i.e. minimize your sticker usage. What's worked for me is to try and use a maximum of one more sticker than there are enemies), since you get coins if you can beat your enemies without taking damage.

They're large enough that you won't really feel as though you're working toward a goal in a certain location until you see the piece of the Sticker Comet, and once Paperization is introduced, you'll be able to solve puzzles (nothing too major yet, though I'm on what amounts to a fetch quest atm).

Nabber said:
Do stickers work as items (like mushrooms?)

In case I misinterpreted the question, I feel the need to mention that as far as I know, only Thing Stickers and Secret Doors can be used outside of battle, so while there is a Mushroom sticker, for example, you need to be in battle to use it.

Got it. I feel life pouring into me.

And Petey Piranha is the boss of World 5. I only know this because of that pesky spoiling strategy guide.

Also, to find the secret exit in 1-3, you have to drop below the waterfall.

Please spoil that stuff. If you don't want to know what the boss of World 5 is, then what makes you think I want to know?

Stop giving us hints! We want to figure the game out by ourselves!

Back