New Super Mario Bros. U

Personally, after looking more into it, I think 60 dollars is a great price for this game.

I mean, it's only like 10 more than the usual 50, right? And there is plenty of new additions like taking the game to the gamepad, Coin Battle editor, and 5 player co-op (so excited for that!) to make this game worth it.

Got to try it out at Nintendoworld yesterday, and it's interesting. They only have those speed runs on display; not the whole game, though.
Nice graphics (including the 3D backgrounds). Basically, the typical modern NSMB with some new spins added. Had to take time getting used to the new controller and the new powerup. They didn't have the stylus feature, but it seems it will be difficult to be paying attention to the game and then using the little screen too.

I can see this will be hard (making up for the string of easy games we've had, at least on the DS), and then theme is collapsing surfaces (like the falling Easter Island heads, and the folding platforms in the castle). Did manage to beat the three packs that were available; but I'm sure that's the easiest sampling of the game.

It's too much like SMW for me (Especially with the named world concept); but that's just my thing (That's the game where I felt the series overdid the complexity and went a bit beyond what made the original great. I already felt the NSMB games retained a bit too much of the SMW stuff).

So I'll pass on this one. I'm not a very agile gamer, and NSMB2 is easy enough to be playable and fun enough for me. (Beat it completely; just collecting the coins now; up to 222,000). But I guess if I had more patience for the harder games; it would be great, if nothing more than for the graphics.

It's just a personal preference.

Crackin355 said:
It's just a personal preference.

But a questionable preference.

Lots of gameplay footage being uploaded by GameXplain, and- surprise surprise- the music is rehashed. Shameful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4YAwFVvcY&feature=youtu.be

I don't see how this game is bad, the 82% score by Nintendo Everything seems way too low, I think this is easily the best New Super Mario Bros game yet.

I defiantly have to agree with DonnyKD here, if you really think that this game looks like crap, then you have lost hope for Mario games.

SuperNick3DLand said:
I defiantly have to agree with DonnyKD here, if you really think that this game looks like crap, then you have lost hope for Mario games.

No need to double post but I think that's beyond an exaggeration, there are still plenty of more games to be released, and just because some people dont like the look of one game doesn't mean they'll hate of all them.

Plus this is exactly what people said to me when I disliked galaxy, yet I still want to play sm3dl, so.... yeah.

It's not questionable because he stated why it was he didn't like SMW.

For specific games in a series, I usually focus on one thing. For Zelda, I expect almost all of it to be pretty good. But for Mario Sidescrollers, all that I care about is the gameplay and level design. So really, I don't care about rehashed music. It's the least of my worries. Considering I don't have any, still looks fun.

SuperNick3DLand said:
I don't see how this game is bad, the 82% score by Nintendo Everything seems way too low, I think this is easily the best New Super Mario Bros game yet.

Just because its the best of the 4, doesn't mean it deserves a huge score. Plus, that's a good score. I don't see why people are beginning to think anything around 80 is a bad score and anything below it means the game is horrible. 82% is the same as 4/5 stars. Which makes it sound a lot better.

Also, double post, don't do it. Edit your post instead. Most of the people here have lost hope for Mario games. They have high expectations for some reason.

You're complaining a game should get a higher score than the already high score it has? And on top of it, you've never actually played the game?

Sir, do you know what a fanboy is?

Mario games are just about always in the 80%-100% rating area. I'd rate SMB3, SMW, SMG, and SMG2 around 100%, SMB, SMW2, SM64, and SM3DL around 90%, and SMB2, SMS, and the first 3 NSMB games around 80%, (maybe more like 70% for NSMB2 though). Honestly even the 'bad' super mario games are still very playable and give you at least a couple periods of fun and enjoyment. I just think that this game is better than the other NSMB games due to all it's new innovations and a much better overall feel of the classics. My rating for this game would be in the 90-95% area, if you don't have this for Wii U, your going to miss out. BTW I remember that Famitsu gave NSMB2 a 36/40 (90%), so this group thinks NSMB2 is better than NSMBU.

you literally just reviewed a game you've never played

Remind me exactly what "all it's [sic] new innovations" are?

Nabber said:
you literally just reviewed a game you've never played

Remind me exactly what "all it's [sic] new innovations" are?
Boost Rush Mode, Boost Mode (Another person can help you out, never done before), new power up, couple of "side missions" (Nabbit, etc), Mii's playable, and the ability to edit the layout of coins in levels using a editor in a mode.

Boost Rush mode - Used to replay levels, therefore not important
Boost mode - only able to use with friends, removes challenge from game
New power up - for crying out loud, this is hardly new anymore. We've gotten the propeller suit and the tanooki suit and the raccoon suit.
Side missions - already done in NSMBW (Toad)
Miis - What do I care who I play as? I'm not going to buy a game based off of its characters. They play exactly the same as Mario and co.
Edit layout of coins - again, only able to use with friends, I don't really think this will capture my interest for very long.

In other words, they have a whole bunch of things tacked on, but for the single player campaign they've done absolutely nothing.

Honestly, even though Im looking forward to this, I have to say that it doesn't have any big 'new' innovations. Don't get me wrong, it still looks like it'll be a blast to play, but it doesn't stray from the NSMB formula much. It's strayed more than the other games have, but the other games really didn't do much either. I still think it'll be the best of the 4, but I want to try it out myself.

Boost Rush mode is intended to let the player come back to an earlier stage and try to get through it in a fast fashion, big jump in replayability there. Boost mode will make it fun if you have friends playing with you, and lets you basically make your own speed run, the fact that you will be trying to set the blocks and killing enemies at the right time will make you keep wanting to try, and this is a big boost to Younger/New Mario players. Yes mini objectives were in NSMBW, but they weren't as fun there. Instead of just carefully carrying/directing a Toad to the end of the level, you will be chasing at top speed, likely taking a few tries to catch a Nabbit and get a Valuable prize (P-Acorn). Being able to play as Mii's makes it a lot funner, people will laugh and enjoy seeing there weirdest looking Mii playing in Mario's world. Being able to make your own coin locations in levels with friends will keep you coming back for a while due to its variability. This game is defiantly going to be better playing with friends though.

Crackin355 said:

I could tell you why I loved Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and it'd still be a questionable opinion. There's a reason SMW is considered among the definitive 2D sidescrollers.

Just because its the best of the 4, doesn't mean it deserves a huge score. Plus, that's a good score. I don't see why people are beginning to think anything around 80 is a bad score and anything below it means the game is horrible. 82% is the same as 4/5 stars. Which makes it sound a lot better.

Given the rampant score inflation in video game critical culture, an 82% is a rather poor score, especially for a system-pushing Super Mario title. Although I expect the average score to end up in the 85-89% range.

EDIT: And the magic purple tornado has me thinking that, yes, the final world will be a series of re-used lava tileset. Jesus.

Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

I could tell you why I loved Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and it'd still be a questionable opinion. There's a reason SMW is considered among the definitive 2D sidescrollers.

Big Rigs is probably the funniest game ever

Baby Luigi said:
Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

Big Rigs is probably the funniest game ever

Probably should've meant loved as a game, not as a hilarious mess of an experience. Seriously cannot believe that game was put on shelves.

I think Mario Bros. U is ridiculousness, for as already you have New Super Mario Bros. 2 out, so why another Mario game so soon?

Remember how the 3DS had no Mario launch titles, or really any big Nintendo franchise titles and sold horribly.

That is why they aren't making that mistake again.

Also, wasn't it said a while back that through the game your making your way back to Peach's castle? I think the final level will be Peach's castle itself.

I think they'll make a Pokemon game like Stadium for Wii U.

Back