New Super Mario Bros. U

No. The demos show a new tune, though we still don't know about songs like the desert and underground themes.

Legault said:
Is it true that they're reusing the NSMBWii music... again? I really, really hope this isn't the case.
So far we know that the grass Overworld, athletic theme are new but sound so much alike. The bonus area music is a remix of the NSMBW bonus area music but has a NSMBU feel to it. Also the world maps has new music. But it is likely most of it will be original

I'm excited to see what the Bowser Jr boss battles are like :)

YoshiGo99 said:
Legault said:
Is it true that they're reusing the NSMBWii music... again? I really, really hope this isn't the case.
So far we know that the grass Overworld, athletic theme are new but sound so much alike. The bonus area music is a remix of the NSMBW bonus area music but has a NSMBU feel to it. Also the world maps has new music. But it is likely most of it will be original

They're definitely re-using the ghost house, desert, castle, and boss themes, and the old athletic theme is making a return as well. Assuming 30-50% of the music is rehashed, that's simply unacceptable.

I wonder why the New Super Mario Bros. castle BGM is taking a back seat again. Lately it sounds more fitting than what we're getting now for the castle levels.

Legault said:
YoshiGo99 said:
Legault said:

They're definitely re-using the ghost house, desert, castle, and boss themes, and the old athletic theme is making a return as well. Assuming 30-50% of the music is rehashed, that's simply unacceptable.

Proof?

And like the other guy already stated there are way more original tracks than old ones.

And I doubt you even know the meaning of "placeholder".

DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
YoshiGo99 said:
Legault said:

Proof?

And like the other guy already stated there are way more original tracks than old ones.

And I doubt you even know the meaning of "placeholder".

Check the trailers; I believe you can hear the track during stages from the sky world. And I haven't used the word "placeholder," so I'm not sure what you're on about.

I can't think of the last time a AAA title used placeholder music this close to release, but I'd be thrilled if that was the case. There's little reason to be optimistic.

I really don't know why your being so pessimistic about it. It won't ruin the game entirely if they do recycle some tracks.

Crackin355 said:
I really don't know why your being so pessimistic about it. It won't ruin the game entirely if they do recycle some tracks.
I'm sorry, but after playing through New Super Mario Bros. 2 I was about ready to throw a knife in the wall, though that may have simply been the fact that there were about seven tracks in the entire game.

Crackin355 said:

Did anyone say it would ruin the game? It's just incredibly lazy and makes the game noticeably less polished. No need to settle for mediocrity.

Crackin355 said:

It's not pessimism, it's valid criticism

Michael Myers said:
Guys, just turn the volume off.

You don't like Superman 64? Stop complaining. Don't like it, don't play it.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm hardly comparing NSMBU- which is looking like the best in the subseries- to SM64. But implying that we shouldn't bother making criticisms is ridiculous.

alright the game will have new music there done. :) See new athletic music. Never heard the NSMBW version. Also I heard new snow themed music for the Glacier levels which was in Demo level 3.

Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

Did anyone say it would ruin the game? It's just incredibly lazy and makes the game noticeably less polished. No need to settle for mediocrity.

Yeah, a few tracks means that somehow the game is less polished.

Hell, if the game had absolutely no reused tracks, I bet you'd start to complain about the PHYSICS next.

DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

Hell, if the game had absolutely no reused tracks, I bet you'd start to complain about the PHYSICS next.

Yes, Nintendo re-using their musical properties a second time constitutes laziness and a lack of polish. And stop putting words in my mouth; the physics look just as crisp as ever.

Legault said:
DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

Yes, Nintendo re-using their musical properties a second time constitutes laziness and a lack of polish.

Then I guess Galaxy 2 is the most unpolished 3D Mario game ever, huh?

DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

Yes, Nintendo re-using their musical properties a second time constitutes laziness and a lack of polish.

You seem to have trouble using basic analytic skills. I simply stated that re-using old songs, a second time, for a substantial portion of your soundtrack- not to mention for a system selling launch title- demonstrates a laziness and lack of polish beneath a quality developer like Nintendo. What I did not say was that recycling some songs is necessarily a game-breaking problem, nor that a game with recycled music is necessarily a bad game in other respects.

All we know now, based on several trailers, is that it's looking like a large portion of the songs are recycled. That's a bad thing. If it turns out that some of those tracks are placeholders (unlikely) or that there are many more new songs waiting for us that make the recycled ones comprise a small percentage in comparison (more likely), then this speculative problem will go away entirely. But it stuns me that people would go to such lengths to defend what appears to be a supreme lack of effort on the musical department.

Even if every song in NSMBU was recycled, it'd still probably turn out to be a fantastic game. Does that excuse the music? Of course not.

DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
DonnyKD said:
Legault said:
Crackin355 said:

Only a few songs from Super Mario Galaxy 2 are taken directly from Super Mario Galaxy.

Crackin355 said:
I'd say it balances out the music problem if the gameplay and everything else is fantastic.

I don't know about "balances out"- music and gameplay are largely unrelated- but it certainly will lessen the impact. On the whole, I expect NSMBU to be a fantastic title, so I'm not hating on the game. Just a little concerned about some parts.

Back