Why do some hardcore gamers hate Mario?

Do you not understand

I was saying you proved yourself guilty of being a terrible friend

Boidoh said:
I hate CoD. I HAVE played CoD Modern Warefare 3 at a friends house and i utterly hated it.... I actually had plans to break the disk at once but i never did it.

And this "Hardcore Gamer" name, If ANY of you actually use the useless junk channels on the Wii (i dont think they are junk) then you would realize on the Nintendo Channel, where you basically do a little servey on the games it says either "Hardcore Gamer" or "Casual Gamer". So someone appearantly now spread across the internet that Hardcore gaming is killing/violence games...

Quote from wikipedia "Hardcore gamers prefer to take significant time and practice on games, and tend to play more involved games that require larger amounts of time to complete or master." And the rest doesnt say anything about FPS.
until now, i thought you were lily

I'd say that "hardcore gamers" are just people who just play CoD, Halo, and Battlefield, so they think Mario(And Nintendo in general) are just for little kids, just because they're not bloody and they don't have constant cursing. Its rather dumb in my opinion to judge something like that.

Re: Why do some M-rated gamers hate Mario?

Awesome Koopa said:
I'd say that "hardcore gamers" are just people who just play CoD, Halo, and Battlefield, so they think Mario(And Nintendo in general) are just for little kids, just because they're not bloody and they don't have constant cursing. Its rather dumb in my opinion to judge something like that.
This is what I thought "hardcore gamer" meant.

It actually means "someone who strives to get 100% on every game they play" or something similar to that.

Therefore, the title should be something more like what I suggested at the top.

The titles of "hardcore gaming" and "casual gaming" are incredibly vague these days, to the point where they're essentially just meaningless in-community "cuss words" people throw around to justify their dislike for something in the gaming world. I've always felt there's something wrong with making any sort of distinction between those that are really into games and those that play just for quick and easy fun because that would be like saying "hardcore/casual movie-goer" or "hardcore/casual reader" which we don't do because it's dumb. Even so, just from this thread alone we can see several different interpretations for what a "hardcore gamer" is, so I may as well throw out mine.

A "casual game" is one specifically designed to be played in short bursts without any particular meaning behind it, such as Rush, Tetris or any number of iPhone games, all intended to be played 'casually' in your spare time. A "hardcore game" is more for dedicated gamers, typically with a story or distinct artistic or thematic design and are meant to be played for multiple hours at a time; this could apply to Half-Life or Call of Duty just as easily as it could to Mario or Sly Cooper. So we can conclude a casual gamer isn't seeking a particularly deep experience and is just playing games for a bit of fun, whereas a hardcore gamer is far more devoted to the adventure and is seeking to be immersed and engaged whilst playing games.

again I'd rather this distinction not really exist at all, but regardless of whether I got that spot on or not, the fact of the matter is that there is no "casual = kid-friendly, hardcore = blood and gore" distinction. There never was. Stop thinking there is, and stop using the term as an excuse to display how hypocritically closed-minded you yourselves are (you know who you are).

But you see, were not using that term for them, at least we didn't start. It's their fanboy mind-set that gives them the impression their hardcore gamers, which could just like you said realistically be applied to any series. We don't call them that because that's what they are, we call them that because that's what they think they are in their own little perspective of being superior.

But the people in this thread are also acting from a false pretense of superiority, insisting that anyone who plays these supposed "hardcore games" are mindless, violent, insignificant drones too stupid to realize the MAJESTY AND GLORY of a video game series you've grown attached to. The exact same mentality that fuels these supposed "hardcore gamers"' negative reactions to games and communities they dislike.

It's completely hypocritical. Of course some "hardcore gamers" are going to hate Mario. Many "casual gamers" will too. Not everyone likes it. Just because someone dislikes it, doesn't make them a gore-obsessed loon without any taste in quality.

Trust me, I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I don't apply that title to every single gamer that doesn't like Mario and I even have some friends who don't. I just don't like them flaming and making fun of us, those are the only people I'm talking about, not the other systems' community as whole. Opinions are opinions, that's why there are different game genres and systems. I just want them to respect our opinions.

yeah, cod is practically considered casual gaming material at this point, simply due to the fact that everyone and their mother plays it

Well, I actually thought Super Mario Galaxy ruined the Mario series but when I saw Rosalina I thought wrong. Well, a little of the COD fanbase are part of the Mario fanbase, so I guess things are the way they are.

For sure, Galaxy required a bit of skill so it is not casual (well 1 player that is), so I consider it as a bit of a hardcore game.

Hardcore gamer: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT MARIO HAS NO GUNSSSSSSS??????

Mario lover: Yes it doesnt

Hardcore gamer: den it sucks

Mario lover: bitch play it goddamit

Minuette said:
Pyro said:
Hardcore gamer: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT MARIO HAS NO GUNSSSSSSS??????
Yoshi's Safari
OF COURSE I KNOW ABOUT YOSHI'S SAFARI

it's just the new generation of Mario gamers don't exactly give a shit about classics like Yoshi's Safari.

IceShadow1199 said:
Well, I actually thought Super Mario Galaxy ruined the Mario series but when I saw Rosalina I thought wrong. Well, a little of the COD fanbase are part of the Mario fanbase, so I guess things are the way they are.

I feel a rant about galaxy in me..
Ok for starters... MARIO GALAXY GALAXIES ARENT GALAXIES!!! THEIR A BUNCH OF SMALL COLLECTION OF PLANETS!!!!! Ok, the ONLY stars that exist there are possibly the power stars, and that small amount barely makes 1% of a galaxy...

And then again all the stars with mario and luigi barely makes 10% of a galaxy. Thats not the only thing that I didnt like... WHY IS MARIO IN SPACE.. HE SHOULD STICK TO EARTH/MUSHROOM WORLD! I also dont understand their fanbase.

Super Mario Sunshine - "Black Sheep" - Takes place on Isle Delfino - Takes Place on the Mushroom World
Super Mario World - Considered one of the best mario games of all time - Takes place on Yoshi Island
Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 - Considered to be one of the GREATEST games of all time - TAKES PLACE IN DAMN SPACE!!!! AND WHAT MAKES WORST SENSE IS THAT THE TOWER OF RICCO HARBOUR LEADS TO SPACE!!!!! HOW IS THE INSIDE OF TOWER IN SPACE!?!?!?!

Also if jumping into a painting in Peaches Castle leads to "Throwback Galaxy" Mario could have simply skipped all the way to World 6.....
[/rant]

Rosalina made me like it.. I just played Galaxy 2 for rideable yoshi/sunshine/64 experience.

I don't really understand this whole thing with assuming certain gamers hate Mario. The closest thing I can think of is when I was playing Halo at the Teen Center when I was like 13 (mid 2004) and one of the guys responded "mario? that shit's oldschool, dawg!" When I told him there were still Mario games, he said something to the effect of "for rizzle?"

The thing I see more often than people actually hating Mario is... people insisting that people hate Mario. By no means am I saying that everyone likes Mario, but the idea that "hardcore gamers" automatically hate Mario is ridiculous.

Actually I just made this post so I could say this without spamming:

Hypnotoad said:
A true Mario lover would never say "bitch", lol.
yeah, we would say "abitcha!"

Back