Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Meta Blastoise said:
I want a main series Mario game where you can play as Yoshi by himself like in SM64DS

thinking sabout it sm64ds was so weird

what did wario even do in there?
that and sml2 are like the only times hes appeared outside of warioland/world/ware and of course all the spinoffs

of course it isnt bad that wario gets more spotlight but still weird

President Madagascar said:
Meta Blastoise said:
I want a main series Mario game where you can play as Yoshi by himself like in SM64DS

thinking sabout it sm64ds was so weird

what did wario even do in there?
that and sml2 are like the only times hes appeared outside of warioland/world/ware and of course all the spinoffs

of course it isnt bad that wario gets more spotlight but still weird
I found Wario's inclusion tolerable as I consider him as a significant Mario character, but I found stranger that Yoshi was builded like a plumber when he was a dinosaur in Super Mario 64. If only reaching the castle had more meaning in Super Mario 64 Ds. Could had been good if you found dinosaur Yoshi in the roof in the original game and you could ride him to get more stars. Right now, I am talking about Super Mario 64.

Auburn S said:
Mario Kart 8 has the best character roster in the Mario Kart series.
I agree. Including a lot of dumb characters isn't bad, you just don't have to play as them. Excluding a lot of important characters, on the other hand...

Mario Kart 8's roster only loses to the one in MKwii imo

mario kart 8 had :pgp: which is a fabulous character, but on the other hand also baby rosalina which is just

ugh

mkwii has funky kong and dry bowser so all okay there.

mk7 is sorta meh because it had no real overkill characters except for metal mario

else double dash is the best example for a balanced mk roster imo

the rosters in all the other games suck (though ROB wasnt a bad addition in mkds)

We need more storied Mario games. Like an action RPG series.

And more Mario RPG games about the Mario lore.

I want Mario games to establish a lore and a story.

Lovely Shroomy said:
We need more storied Mario games. Like an action RPG series.

Yes

Lovely Shroomy said:
We need more storied Mario games.
THIS

Though I want to have a heavily-storied game that actually gets merchandising and promotion. Sadly I find the only way to do that is to make it either a platformer or a Mario Kart game, and of those a platformer makes more sense.

^If you're gonna do that you may as well replace Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina as well, considering they're far worse additions than the Koopalings.

Honestly MKWii and MKDD's rosters > MK8's roster. MK8 is missing important characters like Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Birdo, King Boo and Petey Piranha. And MK8 adds characters that make no sense like PGP (i still play as her for the lols), Baby Rosalina and the Koopalings.

I hate the Koopalings but I'm not that bothered by their appearance in Kart for some reason

still a major downgrade from the rosters of the last two console karts

while we're on the subject Mario Kart as a whole is pretty overrated

Nintendo have stop giving a fuck about rosters anyway.

Groose said:
Nintendo have stop giving a *bleep* about rosters anyway.

Eh not really

Mario Golf: World Tour has an ok roster aside that Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are missing. And I say Mario Kart 8 is pretty decent at best, really. It depends on how much you like a character who's in and how ambivalent you are to characters that are in and the ones you are cut.

Mario Party 10 has a far worse roster than Mario Kart 8.

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Party 10 has a far worse roster than Mario Kart 8.
It's more of an improvement over previous Mario Party rosters than MK8 was over previous Mario Kart rosters, as far as newcomers are concerned. The newcomers in Party 10 are not blatant clones of other characters, and are mostly more important to the series (especially Bowser and Rosalina)

It was, but it doesn't take much to top Mario Party 9's atrocious roster either.

I've never really had to worry about rosters.

There needs to be less OCs in future rpg games. I've always felt there are plenty of long lasting Mario characters that were just ripe for seeing in new situations in them. Like what you see in Mario Party and its NPCs

I wonder why characters like Wario, Waluigi, Toadette, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Daisy, (even Yoshi to an extent) etc find it hard to even be in those games

I mean yeah, Toadette was a teacher in one of them but she really doesn't interact with the characters in any other meaningful way.

They were generally more interested in creating new characters than using older ones. Which has its ups and downs. Many of the OCs they created were kinda redundant, filling roles that other characters already existed for.

Mcmadness said:
There needs to be less OCs in future rpg games. I've always felt there are plenty of long lasting Mario characters that were just ripe for seeing in new situations in them. Like what you see in Mario Party and its NPCs
Eh, after Sticker Star I take what I can get as far as original characters are concerned. Mario Party used to introduce new characters too, like Tumble, Brighton and Twila, MC Ballyhoo, etc. And as far as I know those characters are well-liked as well.

Back