Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Plain Ol Giga12 said:
ernesth100 said:
I've kinda heard 50/50 about this. But I've heard some people say.

"Another Super Mario Movie wouldnt work."

I believe with the right director and supervision it could totally work.

The real problem is that Mario doesn't really have a story. It's hard to make a story out of something that hasn't got one, Doom never had much plot, and the film sucked because of it.
*cough*mario rpgs*cough*

Then again, the stories still aren't movie quality... maybe SPM, but you'd have to do a lot of work...

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Plain Ol Giga12 said:
ernesth100 said:
I've kinda heard 50/50 about this. But I've heard some people say.

"Another Super Mario Movie wouldnt work."

I believe with the right director and supervision it could totally work.

The real problem is that Mario doesn't really have a story. It's hard to make a story out of something that hasn't got one, Doom never had much plot, and the film sucked because of it.
*cough*mario rpgs*cough*

and they're still not that great

certainly not the thing that defines the rpg series

Lumastar said:
Freakworld said:
Flareon said:
There was a Doom movie?

It even had the BFG

the Big Fucking Gun.
It was actually called the Bio Force Gun for some reason. Maybe it had to do with the movie's plot?

Okay, I get the point now.

no when it was first shown one of the main characters was like "thats a big fucking gun"

i remember it, of course the movie still sucked, but ya know.

I think Mario's better for a TV show, but I earnestly believe that Mario can work well in a movie. You just need some creative license to invent your own plots and develop your Mario characters. The Mario characters have more depth, but their personalities are still recognizable. That's what I'd want to achieve. I think the biggest problem with video game movie directors is that they don't take the source material seriously, and they don't build on it appropriately.

Dr. Mario said:
I think Mario's better for a TV show, but I earnestly believe that Mario can work well in a movie. You just need some creative license to invent your own plots and develop your Mario characters. The Mario characters have more depth, but their personalities are still recognizable. That's what I'd want to achieve. I think the biggest problem with video game movie directors is that they don't take the source material seriously, and they don't build on it appropriately.
This so much!

I don't think this is really an unpopular opinion, but I'd love a Mario comic book series. Movies and tv series I'm a bit shaky on, but a comic series like the Archie Sonic one would be awesome in my opinion. A chance to develop characters (and introduce new ones) and flesh out aspects of the Mario universe. I'd love that.

Also, I'd like to see Waluigi and Daisy appear in a game that's not a spin-off. Waluigi in a WarioWare game would make me so happy.

Turret said:
I don't think this is really an unpopular opinion, but I'd love a Mario comic book series. Movies and tv series I'm a bit shaky on, but a comic series like the Archie Sonic one would be awesome in my opinion. A chance to develop characters (and introduce new ones) and flesh out aspects of the Mario universe. I'd love that.

Also, I'd like to see Waluigi and Daisy appear in a game that's not a spin-off. Waluigi in a WarioWare game would make me so happy.
I'd like any good Mario non-video game media that isn't Super Mario-Kun (and even then that needs to be translated).

Dr. Mario said:
Turret said:

I'd like any good Mario non-video game media that isn't Super Mario-Kun (and even then that needs to be translated).
Super Mario Adventures.

I need to add, "nowadays" and "long-running". Super Mario Adventures is fairly old, lol.

I didn't read Super Mario Adventures, but I'd like to.

Dr. Mario said:

I haven't read Super Mario-Kun, so I can't really comment on that. But then again I'm not a fan of manga at all.

Lumastar said:
Super Mario Adventures.

Super Mario Adventures is a "each comic is its own silly adventure" (at least I'm pretty sure it is. I haven't read it either). I was thinking more along the lines of a long storyline connected by each of the issues with character development and different story arcs and stuff like that.

We aren't manga fans either yet we find the imagery in the Super Mario-Kun very enjoyable

Actually Super Mario adventures is all one long storyline.

Turret said:
This. While I'm not super familiar with their Sonic series, I really enjoy what they've been doing with Mega Man. I 'm also aware that there are people out there who don't want to hear Mario or whoever else talk for extended periods of time so a comic adaptation would be an excellent way for the characters to say what they have to say. I could see key games getting their own arcs; SMB1 could get a few issues to set up the characters and the way the world works, and so on.

then again i love comics so i want this to happen

ThreeThousand said:
Turret said:
This. While I'm not super familiar with their Sonic series, I really enjoy what they've been doing with Mega Man. I 'm also aware that there are people out there who don't want to hear Mario or whoever else talk for extended periods of time so a comic adaptation would be an excellent way for the characters to say what they have to say. I could see key games getting their own arcs; SMB1 could get a few issues to set up the characters and the way the world works, and so on.

Mario sounds fantastic without a script. I like to think of those vines and instagrams playing out in my head. :>

No one ever suggests making Mario shorts.

If Mario isn't long enough for an 11 minute show, how about a 5 minute one or something?

Baby Luigi said:
We aren't manga fans either yet we find the imagery in the Super Mario-Kun very enjoyable

Hm. I'm slightly more interested in it now.

Mcmadness said:
Actually Super Mario adventures is all one long storyline.

Ah, really? My mistake.

A modern revival of it would be awesome, then. Or it may just be my inner comic fangirl coming out.

ThreeThousand said:

I agree 100% with your post, ThreeThousand.

Baby Luigi said:
No one ever suggests making Mario shorts.

If Mario isn't long enough for an 11 minute show, how about a 5 minute one or something?

Oh, I like this idea. Kind of like what they did with the Pikmin shorts.

Freakworld said:
Mario sucks in Smash Bros.

Like more than most people already think.

people agree he sucked in brawl though

Freakworld said:
Mario sucks in Smash Bros.

Like more than most people already think.
He doesn't suck. There's a difference between being unpopular and just making things up.

He's not uber tier, but he's not terrible. It's only in Brawl where he's truly terrible. If you look at tier lists, he stands in the mid-high tier in 64, mid tier in Melee, and bottom tier in Brawl. I hate tier lists a lot, but they're telling. He has amazing combo potential in 64, has simple potential in Melee, and in Brawl... eh.... his advantages are his quick moves and his amazing off-ledge game (cape, FLUDD, b-air, wall-jump, so many freaking options); his downfalls are his lame recovery and lack of range and aerial kill moves.

Another problem is that there is a sore lack of dedicated Mario mains. While you can argue that it's because he's a bad character, there aren't any Mario main equivalents of the likes of Gimpyfish (Bowser) or Taj (Mewtwo). It's a vicious cycle: he's deemed a bad character, nobody uses him, and since nobody uses him his potential can possibly be left unrealized.

Of course I'm biased for Mario. I'm not hiding it. <3 :fancy: <3

Back