Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

WolferLufe said:
Yoshi's Island > The first two Mario games

There are quite a number of people who agree with you. In fact, I think the first two Mario games are pretty damn primitive and mediocre compared to Yoshi's Island if comparing them to perspective instead of time frame.

Baby Luigi said:
WolferLufe said:
Yoshi's Island > The first two Mario games

There are quite a number of people who agree with you. In fact, I think the first two Mario games are pretty dang primitive and mediocre compared to Yoshi's Island if comparing them to perspective instead of time frame.

Well, under that logic, the Atari 2600 is the worst freaking console ever.

Exactly, which is always unfair to compare something like say, Rayman Legends, to Super Mario Bros. today. But saying stuff like "Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World is the best game of all time" is baloney. There's a clear cut difference between the quality of a game, while taking aging into account than revolutionizing gaming and setting a precedent for other games to follow.

No, I said they're two completely different views on how to see a game and that's that.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is looked upon with fondness mainly BECAUSE it was good for its time and it was a breakthrough. Today, calling it the best game of all time is stupid. It's like saying the Wright Flyer is much better than an F-35. The Wright Flyer WAS important, but it's not the best piece of technology we have today. In fact, to coin ANYTHING "the best game of all time" is really stupid because, first, not only technology is getting better along with games and second, you CAN'T compare a platformer to an MMORPG

Okay, I see your point. Interesting. Personally, I just judge games based on how much I enjoy them, regardless of age.

I personally think that a really good game should be fun to play no matter how old/new it is.

A really good music will still be good 20 years later, a good movie will still be good in 20 years, I think it is the same thing for a video game.

Eh, they still age though

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are all awful

Anser said:
Giovanni said:
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are all awful

Yes.
No.
And NO.

The point of your topic

Your head

The Mario Party series is amazing and is better than both Super Mario Galaxy games.

Mega said:
It is good for those who enjoy platformers. For me, the whole story is boring
all Mario games outside of the RPG's (excluding Sticker Star) have terrible stories

• Super Mario RPG still stands as the greatest Mario RPG to me.
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is one of my absolute favourites.
  • I'm not entirely comfortable with Mario talking so much.
  • I liked Luigi more as the mysterious and somewhat weird sidekick he was before. He is still an interesting character, but I think they make it way too clear that he's a coward.
But this is just me back-pedalling, I realise that franchises evolves over time.

Well Mario does not talk a whole lot, but I still personally, do not like that he talks as much as he currently do. I would rather have him as silent as Link.

In my opinion, EAD Tokyo seriously dropped the ball by not including the following features in 3D World;

• An experience system where you can, for example, progressively jump higher by filling up bars.
  • Embracing nerd culture with references to popular internet memes such as Youtube Poop, Fortran and Nyan Cat
  • Dolphin-based underwater combat featuring violent content.
  • A mature and gritty storyline embracing the franchise's darker elements.
  • A period piece soundtrack featuring popular artists such as Katy Perry, One Direction and Eminem.

It's not 1991 anymore, and I'm seriously dissapointed Nintendo is still bound to archaic 8-bits era principles. I understand that they primarily develop these games for childrens, but I wish the franchise grew up with me.

Glowsquid said:
In my opinion, EAD Tokyo seriously dropped the ball by not including the following features in 3D World;

• Embracing nerd culture with references to popular internet memes such as Youtube Poop, Fortran and Nyan Cat
  • A period piece soundtrack featuring popular artists such as Katy Perry, One Direction and Eminem.

I seriously hope you're kidding.

Back