Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
Mcmadness said:
PROVIDED he is used properly, no rehashed nonsense.
Let's see, Galaxy, arguably 3D World, and Sunshine. Maybe also the older 2D platformers (Bros. 1/3, World) because they didn't really have anything to rehash. Other than that every plot seems like a complete rehash.

Plot rehash is not what I was refering to.

Then what exactly are you referring to? Gameplay? Like that stupid reach-the-end of level obstacle course thing with Bowser?

Donatello said:
Mcmadness said:
Let's see, Galaxy, arguably 3D World, and Sunshine. Maybe also the older 2D platformers (Bros. 1/3, World) because they didn't really have anything to rehash. Other than that every plot seems like a complete rehash.

And 64.
64 is debatable, he did seal all the Toads in the walls but the whole plot was essentially him kidnapping Peach anyway. 64 can get away with that for being the first 3D Mario game though

Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:

Plot rehash is not what I was refering to.
Well rehashed plot may as well be no plot. And I like my plot in video games that aren't sports/party/kart/smash.

Dr. Mario said:
Then what exactly are you referring to? Gameplay? Like that stupid reach-the-end of level obstacle course thing with Bowser?

Obviously. The platformers have no real plot. What else would I be refering to?

Donatello said:
Mcmadness said:

And 64.
64 is debatable, he did seal all the Toads in the walls but the whole plot was essentially him kidnapping Peach anyway. 64 can get away with that for being the first 3D Mario game though

True, but this time the setting was entirely in Peach's Castle, so it was a hostile takeover rather than an actual kidnapping and I was referring to Bowser's boss fights.

Well rehashed plot may as well be no plot. And I like my plot in video games that aren't sports/party/kart/smash.

Well then you are playing the wrong series.

Mcmadness said:

I'm playing the series I grew up with. There's nothing wrong with a platformer having plot, from what I can tell Sonic games do it, so I don't see why Mario can't.

Mcmadness said:

I'm playing the series I grew up with. There's nothing wrong with a platformer having plot, from what I can tell Sonic games do it, so I don't see why Mario can't.

Ignoring the fact that most Sonic stories suck on pretty much every level, if you are still asking that question after all these years then you have failed to understand the most basic of design choices this series has (and for good reason) stuck to.

Mcmadness said:

I'd rather focus on the characters themselves than on the plot. Unlike plot, more personality is more versatile.

Dr. Mario said:
Mcmadness said:

I'd rather focus on the characters themselves than on the plot. Unlike plot, more personality is more versatile.

Personality is fine with me. But for the platformers the plot should be kept to a minimum.

I wouldn't mind something plot heavy if the platformer was, well, fun to play in too and that it doesn't compromise the game itself

TheFarmboy said:
Geno is my least favorite character in Super Mario RPG.

I think Geno is a boring character devoid of anything interesting to care about.

Mcmadness said:
TheFarmboy said:

I think Geno is a boring character devoid of anything interesting to care about.

Why does that character has a gospel following in the first place????

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:
TheFarmboy said:

Why does that character has a gospel following in the first place????

Other than being a walking armory I have NO idea.

There's one thing I do like about them...actually...

What he's made of illustrates his personality spot on...moreso than any other characters in the series. Why stop at acting wooden and bland?

Does that mean Mallow being a cloud accurately represent how vapid he is?

You could say that... :smug:

Hence why I said it works so well with geno, not so much with other Mario characters

Magikrazy said:
And Mario being made of flesh because he's...

...fleshed...out?

You're right. It doesn't work.
You can say, from the composition of his body and the color of his hat, Mario is... sanguine. :dk:

Back