Wii U Specs Leaked?

Crocodile Dippy said:
Travis Touchdown said:
I imagine porting over Steam's entire library would be no trouble at all
are you serious
It's using DirectX 11, the latest of the same sets of graphical standards that're used with all Windows PCs.

It'd be much easier to port than the Mac titles were.

Admittedly, entire library is stretching it out, but due to the system's power, porting of most titles wouldn't be too much of a hassle- and with that in mind, it'll basically have Nintendo already covered for an entire generation of HD titles they missed.

Travis Touchdown said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
Travis Touchdown said:
are you serious
It's using DirectX 11, the latest of the same sets of graphical standards that're used with all Windows PCs.

Admittedly, entire library is stretching it out, but due to the system's power, porting of most titles wouldn't be too much of a hassle- and with that in mind, it'll basically have Nintendo already covered for an entire generation of HD titles they missed.
you do realize the massive amounts of licensing and such that that would require right?

Guildenstern said:
Travis Touchdown said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
Travis Touchdown said:
are you serious

you do realize the massive amounts of licensing and such that that would require right?
Now that's not something that came to mind.

The games are already licensed to be distributed on the Steam platform, though. If Steam was made available on the Wii U, how would that bring up any licensing issues?

because it would be Nintendo they're answering to now, not just Valve. Why do you think the Steam feature on the PlayStation 3 is just cross-platform co-op with Portal 2? This is why I doubt either company is at all interested in a collaboration like this.

Hm. I suppose you're right there.

Valve overlooking a software distribution platform would be great, though.

also, Steam itself coming to the WiiU was solely my speculation- nothing said in the article.

As the Wii U Blog has stated, Nintendo doesn't really have any interest in achievements, so I doubt they're actually putting them in suddenly.

Travis Touchdown said:

also, Steam itself coming to the WiiU was solely my speculation- nothing said in the article.
Also, why would Nintendo want to put Steam on the Wii U?

From a legal point of view, if they simply use the existing tech (i.e. virtual console) they could just make their own digital distribution service. This would make contracts simpler as they could directly deal with game providers, and would also eliminate the various fees that they would have to pay to Valve.

Nabber said:
As the Wii U Blog has stated, Nintendo doesn't really have any interest in achievements, so I doubt they're actually putting them in suddenly.
They...had achievements in Kid Icarus Uprising, and they've integrated them in 3DS' Mii Plaza. And remember- Nintendo wants hardcore appeal back- they're going to pull out all stops.

Guildenstern said:
Travis Touchdown said:

Also, why would Nintendo want to put Steam on the Wii U?

From a legal point of view, if they simply use the existing tech (i.e. virtual console) they could just make their own digital distribution service. This would make contracts simpler as they could directly deal with game providers, and would also eliminate the various fees that they would have to pay to Valve.
Their digital distribution service would be independent of the one Valve would be making, and if it's still going along Virtual Console lines...well, yeah. Virtual Console.

Valve, on the other hand, would likely be releasing Steamworks titles like TF2 and Portal and the such- and retail Wii U titles through the downloadable service. Nintendo has made it clear that they're going to do everything they can to bring hardcore gamers back to their platform- a collaboration with Valve sounds like something that would undoubtedly cause that to happen.

Guildenstern said:
Travis Touchdown said:

Not to mention that even when when it's on similar platforms (such as Xbox 360/PC), porting (as opposed to emulation, which essentialy is what the the Virtual Console does) is a complicated process that take time and money. Nobody's going to waste ressources porting Clive Barker's Jericho or Dogfighter.

Back