Do you think babies are their own characters?

Koopaul

Cheep Cheep
Honestly, I don't. They are just the younger versions of Mario, Luigi, Peach or whatever. They essentially have the same personality and most importantly, the babies will eventually will become the adults! So what the point?

When you were a baby, were you a different entity? No? So why would you consider Mario 20-or-so years ago a different being?

In Yoshi's Island, we knew that the baby on our back was the same hero we played as in other games. Right? Or was he some other baby? No of course not, they are the same person. Just a different time.

So then, why have a smaller younger Mario in a game when Mario is already here? It makes sense in PiT because the story focuses on time travel. But in a sports game, kart racer, or whatever, is it necessary to have them?

If developers want to have playable babies, they should make unique babies that aren't the characters that already exist. Maybe a character named Tulip who is Daisy's baby sister or something.

This is how I feel.

It just is really disappointing that in a universe full of so many colorful faces, that developers would just use a younger version of a character already on the roster, instead of some different individual. It's as annoying as seeing a metallic version of someone, instead of some new guy.

What about you guys?

I agree to a degree.

It's true that the babies are kind of alteregos, that decreases their appearances in face of adult form, if some other main characters do need appearance. And in a narrow sense, they're subseries characters from Yoshi series.

In the broad sense, they're "seperate characters" while the staff actually use the past to make young characters in Mario World, and in M&L2 they did the story that babies go with adults and show different roles.

There were no other natural baby characters in Mario members (BowserJr, young kongs and KatAna are "kids" instead of true babies). It's okay if creating Mario or Peach's baby sister or cousin, but another problem comes that how to make the babies announce their status in the Mario world. Their debuts have to be in mainstream games and RPG but the staff are scarcely willing to do it. The staff also have to make it clear of all Mario's family like The Super Mario Bros. Super Show does.

I don't mind if babies have more appearances in the future, just no excessive appearances. Maybe the staff thought about it, but I wonder if they think original baby characters are not appealing as baby alteregos?

They are just themeselves as babies this is confrimed by every game they've been in.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi sort of feel like separate characters to a degree but the rest don't.

They haven't been in a game for a while so its nice t see them in Tennis Open, even if it's baby peach (she almost feels like a more random but fits in well kind of choice)

Natsu "Salamander" Dragneel said:
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi sort of feel like separate characters to a degree but the rest don't.
Are there difference between other babies?
If you mean M&L2 in which baby Mario bros are the other protagonists, that's same with all main characters who need chances to be in RPG or mainstream games. At least we can only wait to see if the staff would love to make new Yoshi game.

Dorayaki said:
Natsu "Salamander" Dragneel said:
Are there difference between other babies?
If you mean M&L2 in which baby Mario bros are the other protagonists, that's same with all main characters who need chances to be in RPG or mainstream games. At least we can only wait to see if the staff would love to make new Yoshi game.

Those two were both in yoshis island way back, except Baby Luigi was captured.

I pretty much see them as the same individual, but at different points in his/her lifetime. I guess that makes it a yes and no.

From my perspective, I honestly think that they are their own characters. In video game terms, they have completely different polygons, bones, voices, and stats. If we were to describe the Marioverse as a world instead of a video game, they have slightly different personalities than their adult counterparts, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi being the most distinguishable (they're more comical, naive, and less stressed), thanks to Partners in Time and they have slightly different abilities (Baby Mario and Baby Luigi utilize hammers, hammer techniques, and chain chomps)

I completely feel like it is necessary to have a select few in the rosters. Because of Baby Mario's inclusion of playable in the Mario Tennis/Golf games, he gained several fans who totally prefer him over Mario. Because of Baby Luigi's inclusion of Mario Kart Double Dash, Baby Luigi is now my #1 favorite character of all time. Adding them playable would draw more fans' attentions (if they are open enough) like what Baby Luigi had done in Mario Kart Double Dash or Baby Peach did in Mario Kart Wii.

But I agree that there should be a limit on such. We honestly don't really need any baby characters outside of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are exception because of their earlier playability and debut than other babies and their starring role in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Baby Bowser looks too similar to Bowser Jr. so that's why he isn't considered.

In my opinion, I think Baby Luigi has less of a personality than Luigi. Not to say that Baby Luigi doesn't have one, but his personality is somewhat comparable to Baby Mario's. Basically they are both playful and childish... they're just being babies.

That's just the way I see it.

Koopaul said:
In my opinion, I think Baby Luigi has less of a personality than Luigi. Not to say that Baby Luigi doesn't have one, but his personality is somewhat comparable to Baby Mario's. Basically they are both playful and childish... they're just being babies.

Yeah, when i read baby Luigi having more personality than the original I kind of had to re-read it to see if I read right. But, it's a matter of opinion.

Baby Luigi said:
But I agree that there should be a limit on such. We honestly don't really need any baby characters outside of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are exception because of their earlier playability and debut than other babies and their starring role.
Babies are every main character's past, while Birdo, Waluigi or Rosalina must have their own babyhood, so you can't deny the other babies exist. At least I think baby kong and bowser face the dilemma that they looke like some other present characters, while the staff don't refuse to put baby princesses in spinoffs.

We don't like Baby Daisy who is created directly for spinoff, but they just seem like most main characters (Daisy, Birdo etc) who don't have any chance in mainstream games to date.
I think it depends on how the staff deal with them, perhaps by giving the babies they like more significance in the next Yoshi game.

Koopaul said:

I didn't say he has more of a personality than Luigi, I said he has a different one.

Back