Super Paper Mario

UltraMario said:
One word: underrated.

To quote GalacticPetey, "I agree".

I like the cutscenes (specifically the one where Dimentio sends Mario, Peach, and Bowser to the Underwhere), music, and the concept of Catch Cards.

inb4ra-oh wow someone already did that.

I'm somewhere on chapter 4, I think. Fun game, I should add it to the list of games I should play again and beat*.

*but probably never will get around to doing so

I guess it's not as adorable as previous Paper games, as most fans can't be used to that kind of innovation. In truth, I think it's still a nice game in its own way.

lttp: Super Paper Mario

so I've finally rented Super Paper Mario, in part because I needed my paper mario fix and in part because of the amusing vitriol that's sometimes levelled at it on this very board, and after having played up to the end of chapter 2-1, can't say I'm impressed.

Now I know TTYD is a tough act to follow and I should appreciate Super Paper Mario as its own thing and blablabla ,but it's hard. Even as a stand-alone game, SPM (or err, what I have played of it so far) is unrelentingly mediocre and when you factor in that it's supposed to be a sequel to an excellent game, well...

mechanics complaints:

*TTYD had a great opening. Short (for a jrpg), to the point, and introduced the basics of combat well. Now, you'd expect a platform game (albeit one with heavy jrpg elements) to be even more concice. Instead, you get half-an-hour of inane dialogues and cutscenes with barely any interactivity.
*There's no tension or challenge. Enemies are slow and passive, obstacles are sparce and don't do much damage, the RPG elements mean you can take ton of punishment and recover easily... ect.
*The 3D gimmick. Nearly every puzzles so far consist of "Flip to 3D when the room looks empty and jump to hidden platform/hit object". Not very interesting.
*The bosses I've fought so far are inane. O'Chunk's an easy button-mashing fest and Fracktail is boring and weird - most of the battle is spent watching him flying in the background not doing anything, the few attacks he *does* have are very easy to avoid, and the one sorta-clever thing he does (attacking you from sideway), Tippy tells you exactly how to avoid it every time he does it. Lol.

story/script complaints:

*The script doesn't feel as inspired or self-aware as its predecessor. Villains explain their eeeeeeevil plan outloud BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!, Merlon tells Mario he is THE GREAT HERO OF LEGEND AS FORETOLD IN THE BOOK OF PROPHECIES with little traces of humour and it seems they didn't really know how to write the NPCs and just gave them weird gimmick and that's it. Now I know TTYD also had some pretty cringeworthy lines (like the final boss cutscene or every times Grodus open his trap) and weird one-note NPCs, but not as much has here. Like, in chapter 1, you meet the Mayor guy and the "joke" is that he says "Watch it" a lot. Okay?
*The flavour text is lacking. Tippy is nowhere near as witty or loquacious as Goombella and whereas nearly every tattle in TTYD is unique, a lot of them here are mad-lipped.

Now I understand it's silly to bash the game for having a slow and unchallenging start, but all the other Mario RPGs I own (TTYD, SMRPG and Partners in Time) weren't such yawners at the beginning (well, maybe PiT). So the question is, does it become substantially better?

I like Super Paper Mario. I just didn't like the pixl idea instead of using enemies as partners.

I also didn't like the NPCs, and the way that you can only attack by jumping.

Actually, things improve a bit in Chapter 3 (though you'll probably have to put up with mostly using 3D and listening to Tippi for the rest of the game).

Super Paper Mario's music is slightly disturbing. River Twygz Bed and World of Nothing music for example.

Yoshidude99 said:
Smg2daisy said:
A story with true love ! It lets me cry.
I almost cried in the ending.
Oh my god, that must have set the record for most cliche'd love story.

Also, edit:
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=10245.msg309886#msg309886 (locked for a good reason)
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=3760.msg116225#msg116225
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=302.msg4440#msg4440
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=12005.msg403460#msg403460
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=8799.msg249245#msg249245

IceShadow1195 said:
Super Paper Mario's music is slightly disturbing. River Twygz Bed and World of Nothing music for example.
River Twgz isn't creepy or disturbing on any way. Why do people think that? World of Nothing is though.

Nabber said:
Yoshidude99 said:
Smg2daisy said:
A story with true love ! It lets me cry.
I almost cried in the ending.
Oh my god, that must have set the record for most cliche'd love story.
...still a better love story than Twilight

Anyways, I thought this game was okay, but I really would have liked it to be like the predecessors.

Yoshidude99 said:
IceShadow1195 said:
River Twygz Bed is creepy
Why do people think that?

Maybe Alvin and the Chipmunks' voice whimpering or the Giygas-like voice saying "Apples and Shit" doing it. Maybe both along with the creepy bass noises.

Yoshibaker said:
...still a better love story than Twilight

Which means nothing, since Twilight probably holds the record for shittiest love story, unless the myth of Narcissus counts.

I thought it was a good game, but it didn't have the touch the previous Paper Mario games had thus it is my least favorite. I liked it turn-based since there was a lot of strategy in that and I'm pretty good at strategy. XP

I'm going to say it, and those people like Ralph will just have to deal with it.

The game's plot is so much more complex, emotional, and interesting than TYYD. I seriously love the whole plot of the game, and how at first it's so random but as the game progresses the pieces fall in place. Mainly it's the love story between Bluimere and Timpani and how it blossoms that makes it better than save-Peach-who-got-kidnapped-again.

However, the gameplay was just sad, since it wasn't really an RPG. Because of the simple jump on enemy style, the game was 10x easier and 20x faster to beat than the prequels. They made it to simple and it was a little boring to play through. Good thing the plot makes up for much of that slumps.

Back