What do people hate on Super Mario Land?

IceShadow1199

NOPE, THE PARASOL ISN'T A KIRBY IDEA I SWEAR
Banned User
You know, in youtube and in my school, I've seen alot of people hating on Super Mario Land.

In the Gameboy era, games like Pokemon Red, Kirby's Dream Land had never got so much hate, but for this game, it was alot different. People talk about the music in this game being horrible. I pretty much respect their opinion, but I don't hate ALL of the music in this game, I think some were rather better than the ones in Super Mario Bros.

IceShadow1199 said:
You know, in youtube and in my school, I've seen alot of people hating on Super Mario Land.

In the Gameboy era, games like Pokemon Red, Kirby's Dream Land had never got so much hate, but for this game, it was alot different. People talk about the music in this game being horrible. I pretty much respect their opinion, but I don't hate ALL of the music in this game, I think some were rather better than the ones in Super Mario Bros.
I was never under the impression that anyone hated Mario Land.

It seems strange but it is. Super Mario Land is hated as Super Paper Mario.

Hate isn't really the word I would describe SML, but rather I'd say that it was forgotten. SML, while a rather decent game on its own right, did not receive the attention that phenomenal games such as Super Mario Bros. received. Additionally, games like SMB and SMB3 really overshadowed the later games due to their extreme popularity (one could say that SMB is heavily overrated though in all honesty, it does deserve to be popular due to its fantastic debut). It's easy to see why people would tend to ignore SML while they glorify SMB1, SMB3, etc..

I also think that Super Mario Land's debut on the Gameboy did not do it any justice. The Gameboy did not rise till the much later years (aside from the Tetris craze), and by that time SML was a bit outclassed by the later GB games. The NES and SNES really did justice to the Mario series games released on it (something that SML missed out on when the Game Boy was suddenly introduced).

I think SPM is disliked only due to its departure from the traditional gameplay methods of the first two Paper Mario games. Many loved the original and even more enjoyed Paper Mario: TTYD due to the gameplay the two games had; however, SPM removed some elements from it to make it more like a platformer. Still, it is not that hated in my opinion (hate is a strong word).

IceShadow1199 said:
It seems strange but it is. Super Mario Land is hated as Super Paper Mario.
I was never under the impression that anyone, meaning not that many people. I already knew that some peoplehated Super Paper Mario.

Wasn't really that great to me, ost was annoying, and didn't like most of the levels so w/e.

Although I didn't hate it, but it just wasn't very impressive.

I thought it was too short, but it was fun.

Miyamoto basically neglects everything he didn't create. Wario, Daisy, Tatanga, etc.

It's a big shame because some of these kingdoms are creative. The theme I liked the most was the Chai Kingdom

Baby Luigi said:
Miyamoto basically neglects everything he didn't create. Wario, Daisy, Tatanga, etc.

It's a big shame because some of these kingdoms are creative. The theme I liked the most was the Chai Kingdom
INCLUDING Luigi. Miyamoto did not create him, he was an accident, and unplanned birth. Were it not for MILLIONS loving Luigi, I'm sure he would have done anything in his power to get rid of him SOMEHOW. He's crazy. He's a weirdo. He's a megalomaniac. That's one thing I can't stand about him. He will not embrace all the things that I love like Wario and Luigi and Waluigi and everything BL mentioned and MOREEE. He hates Donkey Kong Country! God! What a weirdo! Instead of being happy a character he created and millions love spawned more characters that millions love, he hates it and tries to supress it! He's insane. He is the reason the villain is ALWAYS Bowser (besides the RPGs) because he is afraid to change even the slightest thing.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
INCLUDING Luigi. Miyamoto did not create him, he was an accident, and unplanned birth. Were it not for MILLIONS loving Luigi, I'm sure he would have done anything in his power to get rid of him SOMEHOW. He's crazy. He's a weirdo. He's a megalomaniac. That's one thing I can't stand about him. He will not embrace all the things that I love like Wario and Luigi and Waluigi and everything BL mentioned and MOREEE. He hates Donkey Kong Country! God! What a weirdo! Instead of being happy a character he created and millions love spawned more characters that millions love, he hates it and tries to supress it! He's insane. He is the reason the villain is ALWAYS Bowser (besides the RPGs) because he is afraid to change even the slightest thing.
So...

Miyamoto is evil, crazy, and a megalomaniac (look that word up btw, you're using it completely wrong) because he doesn't like Luigi? A supposition that you don't even know is true?

Excuse me for not understanding this at all. Would you mind explaining it?

I did think the game was quite hard and short but that's about it.

Back