Video Games In School (school project)

AirMario64

Starting MS-DOS...
Do you think we should be allowed to have video games in school?
Not when we are learning something but when we are doing nothing but sitting...like dismisal! etc
Do you thind we should be able to have video games in school?
Please answer "yes" or "no" and please come up with reasons to back up your response!
thanks!
[move] :mario: :luigi: :yoshi:
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
My school is already neutral on handheld systems.

Consoles, however, are out of the question, as we don't have any TVs.
 

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
I'd say yes in study halls, on the bus, and other times when you're not learning something, but not when you are or when you have time to do work.

Video games, I think, could be used as a reward for doing all of your work, but you shouldn't play them just whenever.
 

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
No. The regulated apportionment of time is not conducive to the playing and enjoyment of video games. In any case, I think that schools should be, first and foremost, learning environments, and video games can only serve as distractions except when they are implemented as part of the general or a specific curriculum.
 

OJ Toad

Erectin' a INTERNAL ERROR, BOOTING DOS V672.S82
Mario4Ever said:
No. The regulated apportionment of time is not conducive to the playing and enjoyment of video games. In any case, I think that schools should be, first and foremost, learning environments, and video games can only serve as distractions except when they are implemented as part of the general or a specific curriculum.
Well put.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
My school is fine with bringing electronics if it's during the free time. I even brought my Wii there several times!

There's nothing wrong with bringing video games as long as you don't use it in class time.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Yes, wires and all. I brought it into a classroom that was open and where I usually go to in my free time.
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
Baby Luigi said:
Yes, wires and all. I brought it into a classroom that was open and where I usually go to in my free time.
See, I couldn't do that because my school doesn't have any TVs.
 

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Baby Luigi said:
Yes, wires and all. I brought it into a classroom that was open and where I usually go to in my free time.
We did that twice in sixth grade. Played Guitar Hero and all.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
I brought my Wii in mainly to show-off my hacks :P
 

NintendoQueen814

Gengar ♥
I am a proponent of bringing video games to school, as long as they are kept in backpacks and lockers during class time; and were to only be brought out during free time.

Technology in the classroom is becoming more and more prevalent nowadays. I was in a 1st grade classroom last year and the school had iPod touches they could use for school purposes [typing up their words for the week, then playing the games available on the iPod--they were all educational of course].

Also, maybe have a sign up at the beginning of the week, and with parent/family approval, the child can bring in a bigger console to share with the class during designated class time [this has to be okay with the teacher, principal, and families involved].

I know when I am a teacher in the future, I'd love to bring video games for my students to play. Video games are educational in so many ways [problem solving skills, hand-eye coordination, etc.].
 

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
NintendoQueen said:
I am a proponent of bringing video games to school, as long as they are kept in backpacks and lockers during class time; and were to only be brought out during free time.

Technology in the classroom is becoming more and more prevalent nowadays. I was in a 1st grade classroom last year and the school had iPod touches they could use for school purposes [typing up their words for the week, then playing the games available on the iPod--they were all educational of course].

Also, maybe have a sign up at the beginning of the week, and with parent/family approval, the child can bring in a bigger console to share with the class during designated class time [this has to be okay with the teacher, principal, and families involved].

I know when I am a teacher in the future, I'd love to bring video games for my students to play. Video games are educational in so many ways [problem solving skills, hand-eye coordination, etc.].
Yes. CoD is so educational.

Not being serious. Yet there are games solely designed for education. So you won't have all the kids playing mindless raacing games.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Hey, some edutainment games are good, don't get me wrong. It's just that most of them are pretty corny or cheesey
 

NintendoQueen814

Gengar ♥
I know the Paper Mario series offers a lot of problem solving issues. I love how you have to figure something out in order for it to happen.

Also, when I was really little, and I played Yoshi's Island, it took me a long time to figure out how to do the ground pound. [Yes I know I could have just looked it up in the manual, but I still never look at those things to this day.]

Problem Solving, baby!
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Video games also taught me vocabulary subconsciously too! :eek:

I have a question: does smartphone gaming count towards video games in school? Because I see kids around me do it all the time
 

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
People are annoyed by me because I insist on reading the instruction booklet before playing any new game.
 

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
I love reading the instruction booklets. I hate it how they basically dumbed down the Mario instruction booklets over the years. No character bios, no descriptions of courses or items, basically nothing.
 

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
Anyone else find it odd that as far as 3DS cartridge games are concerned, we basically have two manuals now?
 
Top