New Super Mario Bros. 2

It's nearly as easy as NSMB, in my opinion.
The main challenges, however, are the Special Worlds, and Coin Rush.

After seeing the first set of castle levels, you'd think that Nintendo would put more effort into making them. One area only castles seem way too boring for my tastes, but I'll still take the game as it is.

New Super Mario Bros 2 official review...

By Nick(SuperNick3DLand)

Hello everyone, Nick here, and its time for my review of the new game, New Super Mario Bros 2 for the 3DS. (Yeah I know what
your saying, ''but this game hasnt came out in America yet'', however it has released in Japan and we have found out most
information for the game)

Lets go into Catagories shall we, and give them a grade out of 10.

GRAPHICS

The cute and cartoony style of New Super Mario Bros 2 picks up from the previous New Super Mario Bros games, as all of the
New Super Mario Bros games have had basically similar graphics, there is not much I can say about it, no problems graphicwise
what so ever.

Score:10/10

CONCEPT

Coins, Coins, COINS! Nintendo puts in a new and never before seen concept in a Mario game, to collect tons and tons of coins.
A goal of the makers was for the player to reach 1,000,000 coins and to unlock some worlds, you have to get enough Star
Coins. Almost everything including Mario and Luigi can be turned into gold, if Wario saw this game, he would be PIIIIISED.
Other than the Coin/Gold concept, it is the story that we have heard of dozens of times, ''Peach gets kidnapped by the
Koopalings and/or Bowser and Mario and Luigi need to go through multiple worlds fighting off Bowsers minions to rescue her''.
The only problem I have with the coin concept is that I fear some people will have an addiction of coin collecting, besides,
we dont want a game INTENDED for kids to start to have a money problem or obsession. Not a big problem, but notable.

Score:9/10

GAMEPLAY

Welcome to another Mario game, where you jump, run, stomp on enemies, and reach for the top of the flagpole. New Super Mario
Bros 2 doesn't change that formula, however it adds another aspect, getting the gold. There are over 80 levels in this game
split into 9 worlds, 6 regular worlds, and 3 special worlds, filled with classic Mario enemies and power ups, and new ones as
well. The new power up, Golden Mario, lets you become a coin making machine, everything you touch turns in to gold and
nothing can stop in your way. Although we also get the return of a long forgot about power up by Nintendo that I LOVE, the
Super Leaves that turn you into Raccoon Mario/Luigi (or Fox Luigi) from Super Mario Bros 3 is back from its absence. The
bosses of this game are generally New Super Mario Bros Wii'ish in terms of how they progress, but there is still some
difference in them, another classic Boss returning is the Reznor fight from Super Mario World. Now for my opinions that I
need to get out, first off, I find some of the levels really SHORT (not complaining that there too easy though), like World
1-1 looks like you can complete it in about 25-30 seconds. I also am complaining that the Koopaling/Bowser battles are very
similar to New Super Mario Bros Wii, its like, change it up a little more please. I dont know how multiplayer is yet because
I got to experience it first. A new mode, called Coin Rush, is where you get 3 randomly selected levels and race against the
clock to see how much coins you can get before dying once. It is a nice addition and I like it.

Score:8.5/10

MUSIC

The music in this game is over half New Super Mario Bros Wii. ports, sucks that I got to hear the same music over and over
again, however I heard that for the Reznor fights, they remixed Super Mario Worlds boss fight theme, which is awesome. The
music is still great though, I dont like the fact that they didnt add much in the way of new tracks though.

Score:8/10

REPLAYABILITY

With at least 240 star coins and a Million of coins to collect, you will be playing this for at least a few weeks, AND the
fact that they are putting out downloadable content will keep players coming back, nice idea Nintendo.

Score:10/10

VERDICT

This is a great game, with some minor flaws, but I wouldnt get mad at them, I recommend Nintendo 3DS owners and Mario fans to
get this game, and best of all, we still got New Super Mario Bros U to look for.

OFFICIAL SCORE 8.8/10

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Is the download price identical to the retail price (I only ask because the eShop lists the price as TBD)?

If people want to see all of the Bosses:
Worlds 1-5, Mushroom, and Flower (Koopalings):
World 6 (Bowser):
World Star (Dry Bowser):

Yes, but Dry Bowser throws bones, instead of hammers.

I wish it was more like the SMB battles where he throws them like 10 at once. I would actually like it since it would be harder. But still at least Bowser throws hammers again.

YoshiGo99 said:
I wish it was more like the SMB battles where he throws them like 10 at once. I would actually like it since it would be harder. But still at least Bowser throws hammers again.

You can't safely jump over Bowser, so having him throw 10+ hammers in a row is pretty much overkill.

REQUEST:Please can someone upload a video of World Mushroom on YouTube.

Actually, I didn't Upload World Mushroom yet, because I'm still missing out 1 Level on it.
When that's done, I'll start recording.

Edit:
My Review: http://www.cw-games.org/forum/index.php?/reviews/content/18-not-much-new-who-cares/

When you get a million coins, the title screen will change and there will be a gold mario statue in it and a pile of coins

MKGirlism said:
Actually, I didn't Upload World Mushroom yet, because I'm still missing out 1 Level on it.
When that's done, I'll start recording.

Edit:
My Review: http://www.cw-games.org/forum/index.php?/reviews/content/18-not-much-new-who-cares/
They also made the Bowser and Dry Bowser battles in NSMB DS the same, I think its on par or a little better than that game, still Super Mario 3D Land is JUUUST better.

Is Dry Bowser still immune to fireballs? I do recall that he has that immunity in New Super Mario Bros..

Yami says coin rush is too easy.

Actually I have had enough of the difficulty in recent Mario games, Super Mario 3D Land main game was easy but the special worlds make up for it. Mario Sports Mix on normal diffculty is just a joke and it has to be cleared unless you want to get on to the harder difficulties, Mario Kart 7 had easier AI than the pervious Mario Kart games, (It is now unusual to lose against the 150cc AI for me) and now New Super Mario Bros. 2 And everyone's saying it's too easy. The original in my opinion was quite a challenge and so was the sequel, but when I try this out I hope they are all wrong but the chances are they won't. On the bright side however I already see New Super Mario Bros. U looking much harder than NSMB2 when I first saw it and I hope it is. I've had enough of this difficulty, please bring something as difficult as Donkey Kong Country Returns soon please.

Anyway how hard are the speaical worlds?

The bad thing is, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is just the same old shit. Sure, lol coins, but the first few Super Mario Bros. main games always hit the market with something new and innovative (Super Leaf, Yoshi, 3D platformer, F.L.U.D.D.). Sure, NSMB was great for its time and NSMBWii was more than decent, but this? Six worlds? Coins all over?

I mean, I'm not saying it looks terrible, but the Koopalings are fought in the most ridiculous order I've ever seen (Roy first? What? Iggy second? Shit!), the MUSIC IS REUSED, INCLUDING THE FINAL BOSS, the final boss is also almost exactly the same as NSMBWii, there's only 6 worlds, and other shit. I'll just say this right now.

This game makes me feel like Mario & Luigi aren't the only ones trying to get a million coins.

NSY said:
Yami says coin rush is too easy.

Actually I have had enough of the difficulty in recent Mario games, Super Mario 3D Land main game was easy but the special worlds make up for it. Mario Sports Mix on normal diffculty is just a joke and it has to be cleared unless you want to get on to the harder difficulties, Mario Kart 7 had easier AI than the pervious Mario Kart games, (It is now unusual to lose against the 150cc AI for me) and now New Super Mario Bros. 2 And everyone's saying it's too easy. The original in my opinion was quite a challenge and so was the sequel, but when I try this out I hope they are all wrong but the chances are they won't. On the bright side however I already see New Super Mario Bros. U looking much harder than NSMB2 when I first saw it and I hope it is. I've had enough of this difficulty, please bring something as difficult as Donkey Kong Country Returns soon please.

Anyway how hard are the speaical worlds?

I don't want anything like Donkey Kong Country Returns's Mirror Mode though. That's just major overkill with the difficulty; one hit and you're a goner, which makes bosses like Colonel Pluck a nightmare.

Back