Should We Continue to Drill Oil?

NintendoQueen814

Gengar ♥
I have to write a paper for my Environmental Science class, and we need to discuss whether or not we should continue drilling oil.

I am not very well informed when it comes to this sort of thing, so I am asking for everyone's thoughts on this matter. I will read through them all, and see if I can come up with my own opinion on this, so be as honest as you can. Thank you so much for your help!

Once again:
Should we continue to drill oil?

As in the United States of America or humanity in general?

Yes, freaking yes.

Although I do believe we should at least consider alternative energy, oil is mucho importante to the economies of coastal states. Oil drilling accounts for a large percentage of jobs in coastal states.

We should stop relying on foreign oil sources, and while domestic oil works in the short-term, we need to focus on acquiring and efficiently using alternative sources of energy so that we can maintain our standard of living after the oil is either gone or becomes incredibly difficult to obtain.

NintendoQueen said:
I'm seeing a lot of mention about alternative energy. What do you guys think that constitutes?

Solar power, wind power, water (hydroelectricity), biomass, etc.

Mario4Ever said:
NintendoQueen said:
I'm seeing a lot of mention about alternative energy. What do you guys think that constitutes?

Solar power, wind power, water (hydroelectricity), biomass, etc.

And nuclear. Nuclear would be awesome if it wasn't, y'know, radioactive for hundreds of years.

Probably. I mean if we use it up until there is a limited supply, gas will be so expensive anyway, we will have to switch to solar power and wind power and things. Of course you also have to take into account of how much pollution that will create because global warming isn't very good either....

These ideas and thoughts are great you guys. Thanks!

Also, I do believe these alternative forms of energy really need to be brought out more. Water and wind are renewable. I know that water isn't so renewable in other countries, but the USA is lucky enough to have water as a renewable resource.

I honestly do not know how gas prices work and why they are so darn expensive; and that one day gas here is $3.97 and the next day it is $4.16.

Fuck no. IMO, we've had the technology to power cars with alternative methods for decades. The big oil companies prevent it.

Just like the big energy companies prevent alternative source of electricity. In fact the US department of energy admitted in 2007 that if we harvested wind energy to its fullest extent in just three states, it could provide all our power. And that's WIND ENERGY. Said to be one of the least-powerful renewable resources. IN THREE STATES. And don't even get me started on Nicola Tesla.

Okay, sorry about going off on a tangent on energy in general, but the thought that we "need" oil at all for our vehicles is despicable.

Bottom line: we don't need oil to power cars, but the oil companies are rich and powerful enough to make us. (We don't need to harvest electricity in environmentally harmful ways, but the big energy companies are rich powerful enough to make us.)

PS: Don't just take and believe anything I said. Cite any piece of information you find. (I should have in this post but I'm lazy and this is a Mario forum.[/totally not an excuse])

The statements about alternative energy sources for cars were just general statements. I can't do your paper for you, but I can tell you that it's a bad idea to cite from Wikipedia. HOWEVER - you might be able to get by following citation links on Wikipedia articles. (Especially if the links lead to official websites or .gov links) But I won't recommend it. You'd better know how to research if you're doing a research paper.

(Wind could power the USA 10 times over: http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/10-wind-power-facts10.htm (Article links to an AWEA source.) Couldn't find a reliable source about the 2007 statement.)

Thank you very much Mason. This is much appreciated. This isn't a research paper, per se. It's more of a commentary paper. I am just going to write about how I feel about this, but before I do, I want to see a well-rounded POV about this subject, so I don't sound ignorant in my paper. And what you guys are providing is great. Thank you so much, again.

It would be nice to provide evidence. I strongly suggest that you cite your work so people can see that your opinion is based on valid evidence.

And yes, we should continue drilling oil. However, we should focus on researching and developing renewable technology as well. We artificially make oil cheap, and large oil reserves distract us from seeking alternate sources.

We should continue to drill oil while also slowly weaning America off of oil. Although I'm not an environmentalist by any means, I do feel that government legislation should be enacted that slowly moves America in the direction of hybrid and eventually electric cars, which could in turn be powered by alternative energy sources such as solar, hydroelectric, wind, and nuclear power.

I couldn't care less about the environment, but our dependence on oil (and Europe's, actually) is the only reason the Middle East is rich, powerful, and dangerous. We stop our oil dependency and presto! Middle East problems suddenly become less of a problem.

What the governent should not do is mandate hybrids or electrics, but rather make them either cheaper or more accessible and appealing to the public.

Yes Kill the planet what has that ever done for us (we need to actually stop drilling oil and get to work on an alternative energy source like Solar or electric)

It mades us rich and helped society move, for one thing.

But yes, I do support alternative energy because it directly profits us, rather than abstracts of "oh hey it will benefit us in the future because, uh, uh, it just will guyz".

I'm not going to argue the merits of what about 80% of Scientists believe because it's a pointless argument. Also of course it will help the future generations fun fact oil is a limited resource so are trees and fish (not as much fish but when you just go around catching and killing everything even the stuff you don't need or want)

Everything is a limited resource. It's just that oil is nonrenewable and that trees and fish are renewable, provided you don't overdo it with the fishing or the deforestation

Baby Luigi said:
Everything is a limited resource. It's just that oil is nonrenewable

That reminds me...what are we going to do when the Middle East runs out of oil? They may have a decent supply now, but even they're gonna run out of oil eventually.

Buster Baxter said:
Baby Luigi said:
Everything is a limited resource. It's just that oil is nonrenewable

That reminds me...what are we going to do when the Middle East runs out of oil? They may have a decent supply now, but even they're gonna run out of oil eventually.
Either
A: Ignore it
B: Conquer it
C: Destroy it
D: All of the above but in the order of B, C, A

Back