So I just got RPG Maker.....

I got the trial version. And I got to say, it is pretty awesome. So why make a thread? Well, I was thinking of making a Userpedia game if I happen to buy it when my trial is over. Just want your input. It may not happen, it all depends if I buy it or not.

Which rpg maker? theres 95 and 2000 and 2003 and xp and vx and so on and so on.

Zae said:
Which rpg maker? theres 95 and 2000 and 2003 and xp and vx and so on and so on.
I tried the VX version. It seems pretty easy to use, which I like.

I started making a practice game. I got a castle and stuff

personally I feel XP is better, but whatever floats your boat

Quite a few good Mario fangames were made in RPG Maker. I'd recommend making one, but you could make a Userpedia game if you like. Not trying to derail the thread or anything, but what ever happened to Spirit Lies, another game made in RPG Maker?

Utsuchao Reiuji said:

Considering xp has no sprite limitation unlike VX, yeah it's a lot better.

But rpg maker programs are kinda meh compared to more powerful stuff like mmf2 and game maker.

Ultraluigi said:
Quite a few good Mario fangames were made in RPG Maker. I'd recommend making one, but you could make a Userpedia game if you like. Not trying to derail the thread or anything, but what ever happened to Spirit Lies, another game made in RPG Maker?
Various events led to the cancellation of the project. You could probably ask Stooben for the details.

Zae said:
Utsuchao Reiuji said:

But rpg maker programs are kinda meh compared to more powerful stuff like mmf2 and game maker.
I have Game Maker too, but I can only make novice games on it. I don't know what the other one is.

I am gonna start making a Mario one tomorrow. So what is different in XP anyway? And what kind of limitations?

I have 28 more days on my trial so I hope I can finish it by then. If not I will either consider buying it if I like it or what not.

So if anybody that has used it can help me, that'd be appreciative. I was trying to import Mario sprites today, but when I put them in the database and chose the graphic, it would cut off everything and wouldn't even select the whole thing. So is there a way to get rid of this?

EDIT: Nevermind I got it. I started my Mario RPG a bit too. All I got is a room and Mario and Toadbert programmed in. Also Mario walks weird because I left out some of his walking sprites... :P

This is interesting. What is RPG maker? I make sprites as well.

La Marionette said:
This is interesting. What is RPG maker? I make sprites as well.
www.rpgmakerweb.com

It's like Game Maker just easier. It's pretty cool.

So I got through a whole cutscene today where Peach got kidnapped. I tried fixing Mario's moving too (the only allow you to put three in for each direction) but I can't figure it out how to fix it. So now he kinda waddles and wiggles when he walks.

Ultraluigi said:
we hate you all

that's why it was cancelled

I'd be more than happy to revive the project, but I'm the only one in the team who does.

I would love to play Spirit Lies, but I'm not sure that I could blame anyone who doesn't want to put in the work to get it done. It is, after all, basically a userfic in game format. For the developers it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort that would be necessary to make it a complete, high-quality game.

I actually suggested converting it into an original game without any wiki users or whatever, but they just weren't interested.

New Super Mario said:
Zae said:
Utsuchao Reiuji said:

I have Game Maker too, but I can only make novice games on it. I don't know what the other one is.

I am gonna start making a Mario one tomorrow. So what is different in XP anyway? And what kind of limitations?

I have 28 more days on my trial so I hope I can finish it by then. If not I will either consider buying it if I like it or what not.

xp basically uses the same programming(varibles, event commands, and ruby script), difference tiles and char sprites have no limit, you could make a char have like 100x 100 sprite if you want to, which you cant do in vx, due to it using sprite sizes like rm2k and rm2k3.

However i dont think xp works with vista, which is the only draw back.

What are the requirements to have Game Maker, and where can you get it?

Zae said:
New Super Mario said:
Zae said:
Utsuchao Reiuji said:

xp basically uses the same programming(varibles, event commands, and ruby script), difference tiles and char sprites have no limit, you could make a char have like 100x 100 sprite if you want to, which you cant do in vx, due to it using sprite sizes like rm2k and rm2k3.

I've gotten XP to work with Vista. For games it's easy - just get rgss102e.dll (a file), put it in your game's folder, and change Library=RGSS100J.dll to Library=rgss102e.dll.

For the actual editing program I don't quite recall how I got it to stop crashing, but it's some kind of complicated balancing act dependant upon multiple programs being there. So I'm afraid I can't help with that.

La Marionette said:
What are the requirements to have Game Maker, and where can you get it?
On YoYo Games. I use Windows 7 and it works. Just type that in google.

Zae said:
New Super Mario said:
Zae said:
Utsuchao Reiuji said:

So, can you have 6 frames for characters in XP too? Cause I hate the three frames VX gots, I can't fix my character's walking and I have tried everything.

Utsuchao Reiuji said:
No, unfortunately, it's still the 1-2-3-2 pattern in Vista. In fact, I don't know of any RPG Maker that permits more than 3 sprites in a single direction.
Hm. They should make a version with no frame limit.

So basically, the walking sprites are walk frame, stop frame, other walk frame, stop frame, etc. That sounds like a primitive way to walk.

Back