Colab - Adding Item Sections to Pages

Pyro

Power Star
There is a template on Bulbapedia that looks like this -

20996873.png

Obviously, it shows the location of all items. I was hoping we could add this template into the wiki and put it on pages for RPG locations and others.

There's three parts of this template.

I hope someone with advanced coding abilities could add something similar to this in the wiki.

My three sentences link to the three parts.

Re: Suggestion/Colab - Item Locations Template?

Hm, don't we already give item locations? Where would this template be? In a separate page? In the article?

Ornithologist Mario said:
Hm, don't we already give item locations? Where would this template be? In a separate page? In the article?
The article.

And no, not usually do we give item locations like:

Shooting Star - On one of the pedestals

We already (Badge) have lists like that (List of weapons in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars). I think a standardized list template would be a bad idea though. It's better to build raw templates that fit the use rather than have one template, given the amount of flexibility we have to allow the parameter names and design schemes.

I think that a standardized template might work but with a few differences from the ones on Bulbapedia. First the column with Games should be taken out since Mario games aren't released alongside a slightly modified version them. They also need to be in it's own section titled "Items" only in articles that fall under Category:Levels or Category:Places and their subcategories. For locations that appear in multiple games they should be in subsections in the "Items" section named by the respective game's title. Lastly, there needs to be a lot of 24x24 (or 32x32) images for these items, and in the case of platformer games, images that are half-and-half, for example for a ? Block that would release a Super Mushroom as Small Mario or a Fire Flower as Super Mario should be a half Super Mushroom half Fire Flower.

These are just some of my suggestions on this that I hope will work.

I agree with Knife on this one Pyro. I would prefer it if we had on full separate list of items for each game.

Knife said:
We already (Badge) have lists like that (List of weapons in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars). I think a standardized list template would be a bad idea though. It's better to build raw templates that fit the use rather than have one template, given the amount of flexibility we have to allow the parameter names and design schemes.
Oh, we already have this stuff?

headdesk.jpg

Can someone remove all my template pages, then?

Can someone remove all my template pages, then?

Aaaaand done.

I guess this thread can be locked, unless you want to refocus the discussion on what to do with the existing list coding or something.

Glowsquid said:
unless you want to refocus the discussion on what to do with the existing list coding
Well duh.

And also, I'm a bit stumped - I tried adding it to Goomba Village, but it showed up in the Names in Other Languages section rather than the Items section I attempted to create. Help?

I had no problem adding a very rough item "list" (ie: the one badge listed on that Badge list). Though I left the location blank because I don't own the game and thus have no idea where it is : p.

Pyro said:
Ah, thanks!

EDIT: I've added item sections to Goomba Village, Goomba Road, Keelhaul Key, and Rogueport.

They look good. Two things though:

1. The images aren't matching in size. This looks awkward when looking at tables since some tables are more elongated than others. I placed (|25px) next to all the images on the lists, but feel free to adjust that size to whatever you feel appropriate, as long as they all are the same size.

2. There's a bit of inconsistency when listing more than one item in an area. For example, Goomba Village uses the Star Piece image for each location description while Rogueport uses one Star Piece image for multiple locations. Whichever way you want to it to work, be consistent.

I'll claim responsibility for #2 there; I added some rowspans to Rogueport to improve what was a very cluttered entry for Star Pieces, and didn't think to check any other articles to see if they had the same issue. Been fixed now.

I hope this collab doesn't go to far as to add all the locations of coins in blocks or power-ups in the main-games.

I highly doubt that would happen. See also:

Pyro said:
on pages for RPG locations and others.

I believe this strongly implies that this would be used for that sort of thing only.

I might be able to help out a bit. I'll see if there's something I could do.

Back