So, nobody knows when SMB came out.

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
Long story short, a writer of Gamasutra did a ridiculously in-depth investigation to find what is the "true" release date of the original Super Mario Bros., as it seems every sources say something different. SPOILER: Other than proving it was available on store shelves before 1986, he doesn't.

More than a spergy fluff piece, the article makes a very good point about the state of video game history preservation, the blind trust the press gives to "first-hand" info and give some insight in the attitude video game executives have toward the legacy of the products they helped publish. And overall, it's just a very good read.

I thought everybody knew that it was released in 1985. But I guess I'm wrong about the release date.

I love it when I see Mario doing his victory sign (that looks like a peace sign) on T-Shirts and it says "Down Since '85" on the shirt. But the people wearing them don't even look 25, let alone old enough to remember those times.

It first release was on September 13, 1985. He forgot about the Super Mario Wiki. :mad:

...preservation of our prominent media and all the finer details that go with them for future generations is very important, mate. Don't treat the issue so lightly.

...he's gay?

New Super Yoshi said:
It first release was on September 13, 1985. He forgot about the Super Mario Wiki. :mad:

But is that right?

New Super Yoshi said:
Given the fact that we didn't actually provide a source for the release date we have there, I'd much sooner check Wikipedia or some other source for that date.

(also lol Glowsquid forgetting about the wiki)

Miyamoto himself said it was September 13th, 1985 (he said he'd remember it because it was a Friday the 13th) in Japan. The issue here (and the point of the investigation detailed in the article) is that we don't know the exact release date in the States.

Back