Retsupurae

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Two guys from the Something Awful forums - including the bloke who pretty much created the Let's Play trend - make fun of really, really bad Youtube Let's Plays, really dumb video games, and other assorted game-related bullshit. Think Mystery Science Theater but more nerdy and less politically correct.

lately they haven't been doing too many LPs, since they've been tackling long, dreary games instead.

Their Youtube and Blip channel.

Also check out ChipCheezum's channel, since those two also do funny mockeries of bad Let's Plays.

I so badly want them to do an Other M wrongpurae.

I was actually playing Super Metroid the other day and got to Ridley. I could not stop laughing because all I could hear in my head was their Ridley voice.

I can't wait until they get over this whole Longplay thing. It's also been way too long since they've brought on a guest.

When was the last time they brought on a guest? I'm going to estimate two and a half years ago, because that's what it definitely feels like.

LesBeardly is another good riffer, though he hasn't posted new videos in a while.

A sampler:

oh wow that first one made me laugh

Also, related:
420147_10150603820348095_299808608094_8966713_694781052_n.jpg
64341_10150603819358095_299808608094_8966712_405733415_n.jpg

Not a huge fan, but I watched the one where they made fun of Sir Ron Lionheart because I was pissed at this dude who was obsessed with him and thought his voice was the best thing ever.

In that guy's defense SirRonLionheart is pretty much the best LPer ever.

I also watched part of their Nostalgia Critic video (out of curiosity) but couldn't finish it; I couldn't tell whether they were trying to be funny or just doing their best to offend anyone who happened to also like ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.

Probably because anyone who likes ThatGuyWiththeGlasses deserves to be offended. Hahaha, seriously tho, if you honestly think they weren't completely justified in bashing that piece of shit LP then you might want to re-evaluate your standards of quality.

Where did you stop? It really does become a slog to watch through by the third quarter.

I launched a missile at the do- oh wait it's over....

My God, it's beautiful.

hilarious youtube comment said:
I am Samus. I miss the baby. Engage sadness mode. Beep boop.

The first time I played through this game, I didn't think it was that bad. Watching this through again, though, makes me realize that I was just excited that it was a new Metroid game. I really wish this game had never happened.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Probably because anyone who likes ThatGuyWiththeGlasses deserves to be offended.

Someone should alert you-from-six-months-ago.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Hahaha, seriously tho, if you honestly think they weren't completely justified in bashing that piece of shit LP then you might want to re-evaluate your standards of quality.

Pfft, I'm not questioning that the LP was bad- it's that they weren't funny while bashing it. All I took away from it was "I think the Nostalgia Critic must have murdered their families" rather than "Ha ha, they're so good at this stuff that even I, a fan of thatguywiththeglasses.com, can laugh along with them."

Eh, that's just my take, anyway. Stuff like that's a matter of personal taste.

Nosferatu Man said:
The me that... was chatting with friends on IRC, just taking an interest in the 'Shroom again, and enjoying Retsupurae? What?

Pfft, I'm not questioning that the LP was bad- it's that they weren't funny while bashing it. All I took away from it was "I think the Nostalgia Critic must have murdered their families" rather than "Ha ha, they're so good at this stuff that even I, a fan of thatguywiththeglasses.com, can laugh along with them."
The reason for their sheer aggression is because it was legitimately the single worst LP they have ever made fun of. If you're a frequent viewer, it becomes apparent that that statement carries a tremendous deal of weight. They were legitimately pissed off with the LP and Nostalgia Critic himself for not only creating the worst LP they've ever seen, but also outright insulting their medium and hobby; aside from that, the fact of the matter is that much of his acting in that LP is reminiscent of his over-the-top acting in his "proper" videos, so I sincerely doubt they would've been any kinder had they a better understanding of ThatGuyWiththeGlasses' background.

Metroid Other M riff

I don't care much for the wrongpuraes, but this is great.

Crossposting something I said on another board: Never mind the storyline itself or the acting, the translation is unbelievable. How in hell can you write a sentence like "A common SOS with the urgency of a baby crying..." and have it end up in the final script? And I thought Lost Planet was a game where everyone sounded like autistic robots...

Crocodile Dippy said:
Nosferatu Man said:
The me that... was chatting with friends on IRC, just taking an interest in the 'Shroom again, and enjoying Retsupurae? What?

Back when you were MBV you seemed to really like the website, that's all I was saying.

Damn, that was way longer than six months ago, wasn't it? Time flies.

Crocodile Dippy said:
The reason for their sheer aggression is because it was legitimately the single worst LP they have ever made fun of. If you're a frequent viewer, it becomes apparent that that statement carries a tremendous deal of weight. They were legitimately pissed off with the LP and Nostalgia Critic himself for not only creating the worst LP they've ever seen, but also outright insulting their medium and hobby; aside from that, the fact of the matter is that much of his acting in that LP is reminiscent of his over-the-top acting in his "proper" videos, so I sincerely doubt they would've been any kinder had they a better understanding of ThatGuyWiththeGlasses' background.

1. Fair enough; I've never really watched many LPs so I don't really know how Nostalgia Critic's LP compares to other ones (other than it's bad, I guess).

2. They probably wouldn't have. I guess I was just kind of surprised at how harsh they were. Was it really necessary for the sake of their review or whatever to go on and trash his fanbase and everybody else on the site? They may be amazing riffers otherwise, but when they feel the need to add on fifteen minutes of raging at a popular website and insulting contributors, users, and fans alike to their review, they just come off as unpleasant dicks. I used to bash this very forum before I was active here; you got mad at me for it. How would you have reacted if I'd made a thirty-minute video over-analyzing a stupid thread and then going on a tirade about the entire user base?

Nosferatu Man said:
2. They probably wouldn't have. I guess I was just kind of surprised at how harsh they were. Was it really necessary for the sake of their review or whatever to go on and trash his fanbase and everybody else on the site? They may be amazing riffers otherwise, but when they feel the need to add on fifteen minutes of raging at a popular website and insulting contributors, users, and fans alike to their review, they just come off as unpleasant dicks. I used to bash this very forum before I was active here; you got mad at me for it. How would you have reacted if I'd made a thirty-minute video over-analyzing a stupid thread and then going on a tirade about the entire user base?
That depends; are any users here getting big bucks for screaming nonsensically into a camera, enough that they can do it full-time as a living? No? Well, there you go.

they may have gone a bit overboard, but I've already explained why they did that. It's only natural for people to get pissed off when someone is making a lot of money out of something they feel is completely stupid and takes not a single shred of talent. Considering Retsupurae's entire shtick is making fun of idiots via riffing, it'd be weird if they criticized ThatGuyWiththeGlasses any other way.

Back