Characters and their 15 minutes of fame

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
I've noticed that Nintendo has a habit of using characters a lot one moment, but the next moment? GONE! It's happened to good characters, including:

Poochy
Toadsworth
E. Gadd (though they're bringing him back)
Petey Piranha

I fear this might happen to Rosalina, too. Any thoughts on this?

Cap'n Falcon said:
inb4 Dorayaki says something about Candy Kong.
No one likes Candy Kong

Plus, Petey had more than 15 minutes of fame, I mean he was just in Mario Sports Mix. I guess I agree with you on Poochy, but the other ones are either not that old or are going to be in a game or were previously in one

Oh poor E. Gadd... He could shine more if Nintendo had included him in Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7. :-\ The same for Toadsworth, but at least he appeared in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. You can add in this list a lot of characters from Paper Mario, but it is different since it is not part of the main series...

Bowser Jr. is a exception. ;)

I saw this a lot with Toadette. From 2003 onwards she made loads of appearances and then after Mario Super Sluggers (2008) she never appeared again.

What exactly happened here Nintendo.

Maybe Pauline is too. Commonly the characters all apear in several important games to show their useness of role in the story, but didn't really get to be in spinoffs, and their appearances decrease. Rather than those who only appear in spinoffs so far (Birdo, Daisy etc), they seem to need other support of main games.

in Bowser Jr.'s case, he still keeps outshining in both main games and spinoffs. If Rosalina can be a mentor in other games or release Galaxy 3, she might be safe.

New Super Mario said:
Cap'n Falcon said:
No one likes Candy Kong
is there any reply with person but not the topic? like or hate is totally personal thing.

Evil Magikrazy said:
I've noticed that Nintendo has a habit of using characters a lot one moment, but the next moment? GONE! It's happened to good characters, including:

Poochy
Toadsworth
Petey Piranha

I don't think it will hapen to Rosalina. She's just been in MK7

Exactly. I had my fears because she was suspiciously absent from a lot of recent games, but I think she´s safe now that she has been bought back for MK7. If anything, I´m more worried about Toadette who hasn´t showed up in a game since Mario Party DS and Super Sluggers (can´t remember which one came out last).

New Super Mario said:
Dr. Javelin said:
New Super Mario said:
Cap'n Falcon said:
No one likes Candy Kong
Stupid rude opinion.

Poochy should definitely get more time in the spotlight.

POOCHY POOCHY POOCHY
Poochy is an amazing character. He need to appear in more games. He's works great in some of the Mario spin-offs
Spoilered for strong opinion:
Poochy is so dumb, it's not even funny.

Toadette and the Baby Mario Bros. are victims of the last appearance in Super Sluggers syndrome. There are TONS of Mario characters whom Super Sluggers is their last appearance. Namely King K Rool, Toadsworth, Funky Kong, etc. It's unbelievable.

I blame it on horrible rosters Nintendo has been coming up with these days.

Also, the RPG characters are perfect examples of "Characters and their 15 minutes of fame". Any of them except for Baby Peach and Star Spirits.

Evil Magikrazy said:

Poochy
Toadsworth
Petey Piranha

Well Poochy was a fairly minor ally whose most important role was being playable in Tetris Attack, Toadsworth last appearance was 3 years ago so he doesn't count as being forgotten, E. Gadd is a character that can only play one specific role (crazy gibberish speaking Professor) and is more suited for RPGs and Mario Party games where he can be of use, and fuck Petey Piranha

These characters you're talking about? There's a word for them. Minor. Or rather, supporting.

Let's face it, Rosalina has no place out of Galaxy. Even in the sequel, she wasn't important; it was a last-second cameo.

Baby Luigi said:
Toadette and the Baby Mario Bros. are victims of the last appearance in Super Sluggers syndrome. There are TONS of Mario characters whom Super Sluggers is their last appearance. Namely King K Rool, Toadsworth, Funky Kong, etc. It's unbelievable.

Also, the RPG characters are perfect examples of "Characters and their 15 minutes of fame". Any of them except for Baby Peach and Star Spirits.
Baby Peach's last appearance was Mario Super Sluggers, which is what you were just talking about. The Star Spirits' last appearance was Mario Party 5 (quite a while back).

Yoshidude99 said:
I don't think it will hapen to Rosalina. She's just been in MK7
So we guess whether she will in the future.

Baby Luigi said:
Also, the RPG characters are perfect examples of "Characters and their 15 minutes of fame".
I think there are still some criteria for "recurring" character, one-game-only ones are not usable unless special factors (like those citizens in Mushroom, or maybe the species problem). RPG stories are usually temporary events, the characters can't maintain touch with the Mario as those who are regular in spinoffs do.

Babies are mostly refused due to same identities in a small roster, but in the bright side, it's impossible they'll fade out because they're the childhood of the protagonists.

Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man said:
Well Poochy was a fairly minor ally whose most important role was being playable in Tetris Attack, Toadsworth last appearance was 3 years ago so he doesn't count as being forgotten, E. Gadd is a character that can only play one specific role (crazy gibberish speaking Professor) and is more suited for RPGs and Mario Party games where he can be of use, and *bleep* Petey Piranha
In another topic I thought, Gadd or Toadsworth's problem is not playability but inenoguh appearances as an NPC. Poochy is cute but I'm not sure what's his existence now after Yoshi era, unless the staff reintroduce him.

Dr. Javelin said:
Cap'n Falcon said:
Poochy is so dumb, it's not even funny.
Calling all Poochy fans... Calling all Poochy fans...
I can't believe that character has a fandom. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Evil Magikrazy said:
Baby Luigi said:

Baby Peach's last appearance was Mario Super Sluggers, which is what you were just talking about. The Star Spirits' last appearance was Mario Party 5 (quite a while back).

Those are exceptions to the one time chance RPG character rule/only appearing in their own series rule

You remember the Star Spirits (last appearance: Mario Party 5), but not the Goomba King (last appearance: Mario Kart DS)?

*faceslap*

I forgot about him. And they're also several other characters that make a cameo throughout the Mario series, but they never play a role again

Baby Mario's last appearance was in 2008 that's for fucking years ago so i think you are mistaking being forgotten with not appearing in every fucking game

Discord said:
Let's face it, Rosalina has no place out of Galaxy. Even in the sequel, she wasn't important; it was a last-second cameo.

I didn't exactly like that Rosalina's role is completely minimal in Super Mario Galaxy 2. If Nintendo ever thinks about making a 3rd Super Mario Galaxy sequel, Rosalina should be a major character again.

Anyway, Rosalina's inclusion in the Mario Kart titles is good start for the spin-offs. However, I do wish that she'd be involved in other sports too; Tennis, Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Dodgeball, and even Olympic events. But whatever happens, DON'T involve Rosalina with the Mario Strikers series.

There's also Super Smash Bros. Wii U, but Rosalina being playable is somewhat doubtful at this point.

Back