Adventure Time (spoilers)

Dracomon said:
Smashgoom asked me to post here. I didn't even know this Thread existed.I'm actually an Adventure Time fan, although at times the show frustrates me because I expect one thing, and they do the exact opposite.

I.e. Jake's pups. I thought they were going to be every episode characters and every episode they will steadily grow. I would've preferred that.
Funny, you posted on it before... I guess you just forgot about it. I guess I can understand, since I, too, feel the same way about some things. Sometimes you think the show's going to give you something interesting, then it doesn't... It's kind of like
making Princess Bubblegum a 13-year-old, then immediately changing her back in her very next appearance.
However, not ALL episodes turn out like this; some even lead up to what will undoubtably be big-time episodes. Hell, Holly Jolly Secrets lead to I Remember You and Simon & Marcy, two of the best episodes of the show!

...Actually, it's going to lead to another upcoming episode... One that has me crazy nervous and excited!

Betty:
http://tv.msn.com/tv/series-episodes/adventure-time.1/

Ice King is turned back into Simon, and seeks help from Finn, Jake and Marceline in bringing back Betty.

...Holy shit. Like, no, seriously, holy flipping shit. This is so big, it's indescribable. It almost sounds like fan fiction, but given the nature of the show, it sounds like it could happen... This actually hit me so hard I actually DREAMED about it last night! That's right, I dreamed about the Ice King turning back into Simon Petrikov! The dream PRETTY much involved him permanently changing back, while still having his long nose and big white beard, but doesn't wear the blue robe and doesn't act crazy anymore. Thinking about the dream, I realize that this probably isn't going to be the case, and I actually started to worry. Given how the Ice King gets people to do stuff for him to feed his strange mentality (getting Finn and Jake to throw him a "Man-lerette Party", forcing his Fionna and Cake fan fiction on other people, etc.), I get the feeling that this will somehow end with Simon reverting back to the Ice King, or the Ice King not really regaining his old memories... the other thing that adds suspicion is that he wants to "bring back" his fiancee, Betty... Well, how's he going to do that? Hell, WHY would he do that? I mean, maybe he gets back his memories, but he's still kind of insane? Seriously, this episode has so much going for it but also going against it, I'm incredible nervous about this one!

Oh, and BTW, some of the newer episodes were pretty good, too. Rattleballs might just be one of my new favorites!

Smashgoom202 said:
Dracomon said:
Smashgoom asked me to post here. I didn't even know this Thread existed.I'm actually an Adventure Time fan, although at times the show frustrates me because I expect one thing, and they do the exact opposite.

I.e. Jake's pups. I thought they were going to be every episode characters and every episode they will steadily grow. I would've preferred that.
Funny, you posted on it before... I guess you just forgot about it. I guess I can understand, since I, too, feel the same way about some things. Sometimes you think the show's going to give you something interesting, then it doesn't... It's kind of like
making Princess Bubblegum a 13-year-old, then immediately changing her back in her very next appearance.
However, not ALL episodes turn out like this; some even lead up to what will undoubtably be big-time episodes. Hell, Holly Jolly Secrets lead to I Remember You and Simon & Marcy, two of the best episodes of the show!
Yeah I did forget about posting here before. Understandable. I didn't feel like editing my post though. All those episodes up there are excellent. I think I watched Simon & Marcy about 20 times within that week. It just blew me away.

Smashgoom202 said:
Betty:

Ice King is turned back into Simon, and seeks help from Finn, Jake and Marceline in bringing back Betty.

...Holy shit. Like, no, seriously, holy flipping shit. This is so big, it's indescribable. It almost sounds like fan fiction, but given the nature of the show, it sounds like it could happen... This actually hit me so hard I actually DREAMED about it last night! That's right, I dreamed about the Ice King turning back into Simon Petrikov! The dream PRETTY much involved him permanently changing back, while still having his long nose and big white beard, but doesn't wear the blue robe and doesn't act crazy anymore. Thinking about the dream, I realize that this probably isn't going to be the case, and I actually started to worry. Given how the Ice King gets people to do stuff for him to feed his strange mentality (getting Finn and Jake to throw him a "Man-lerette Party", forcing his Fionna and Cake fan fiction on other people, etc.), I get the feeling that this will somehow end with Simon reverting back to the Ice King, or the Ice King not really regaining his old memories... the other thing that adds suspicion is that he wants to "bring back" his fiancee, Betty... Well, how's he going to do that? Hell, WHY would he do that? I mean, maybe he gets back his memories, but he's still kind of insane? Seriously, this episode has so much going for it but also going against it, I'm incredible nervous about this one!

Oh, and BTW, some of the newer episodes were pretty good, too. Rattleballs might just be one of my new favorites!
HOLY FREAKING JFKELAUIGASJGKQLUTIOEJAGAOISTHJEQEW8IGOJHASHGIO. MAKE IT HAPPEN CARTOON NETWORK. OH WAIT, YOU ARE!!!!!! That character development in that one episode......too much to handle. But somehow I have doubts that this will be permanent.

Dracomon said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Betty:

...Holy *bleep*. Like, no, seriously, holy flipping *bleep*. This is so big, it's indescribable. It almost sounds like fan fiction, but given the nature of the show, it sounds like it could happen... This actually hit me so hard I actually DREAMED about it last night! That's right, I dreamed about the Ice King turning back into Simon Petrikov! The dream PRETTY much involved him permanently changing back, while still having his long nose and big white beard, but doesn't wear the blue robe and doesn't act crazy anymore. Thinking about the dream, I realize that this probably isn't going to be the case, and I actually started to worry. Given how the Ice King gets people to do stuff for him to feed his strange mentality (getting Finn and Jake to throw him a "Man-lerette Party", forcing his Fionna and Cake fan fiction on other people, etc.), I get the feeling that this will somehow end with Simon reverting back to the Ice King, or the Ice King not really regaining his old memories... the other thing that adds suspicion is that he wants to "bring back" his fiancee, Betty... Well, how's he going to do that? Hell, WHY would he do that? I mean, maybe he gets back his memories, but he's still kind of insane? Seriously, this episode has so much going for it but also going against it, I'm incredible nervous about this one!

HOLY FREAKING JFKELAUIGASJGKQLUTIOEJAGAOISTHJEQEW8IGOJHASHGIO. MAKE IT HAPPEN CARTOON NETWORK. OH WAIT, YOU ARE!!!!!! That character development in that one episode......too much to handle. But somehow I have doubts that this will be permanent.
Same here... It's just so weird that I actually dreamed about it last night!

...Anyway, here are my thoughts on some of the latest episodes.

The Pit
Ah yes, the continuation of Play Date; I actually feel bad for putting this one off for so long, considering how much of a tease that cliffhanger was. Anyway, nice to get some closure on it. First off, I like how Kee-oth continues to call Jake "Joshua", but never bothers to correct him again... At least until halfway through the episode. And Kee-oth is just like "Oh... oops". Not sure if that's funny or not. Also, Jake seems okay with being stuck in a Pit, having everything he needs to survive booby-trapped, and having hsi freaking BLOOD sucked out of him! How he survived that, I don't know, nor should I really think about it too much... But the fact that he's essentially okay with all of this is incredible funny, considering that this ties into Jake's laid-back attitude, AND Kee-oth is desperate to make sure he's unhappy! XD Kee-oth's dimension is also rpetty cool, like a shattered mirror or something. Too bad the actual interior design is kind of boring, everything just looks like it's made of rocks. Finn seems relatively calm about Jake's abduction... I remember early on, Finn would flip out if ANY harm came to Jake, even implied harm. Here, he definitely seems worried, but just calls Lady Rainicorn and just sits and waits for her to arrive at his home... I would think Finn would be more active then this. Regardless, the scenes where they're watching those tapes were pretty funny. We also get some confirmations on things, such as Jake's dad definitely being dead (it was implied before, but never outright stated), and how Joshua got the sword in the first place. What's weird is that, seeing as it was a family heirdoom, I thought he got it a while back, but he seemed to have gotten it after he discovered Finn... at least that's what the episode implies. Samantha didn't do much for me, and much like that turtle thing that exploded and that floating leaf at the end, I felt like they were included to pad out the episode, which, because it's Adventure Time, they're allowed to get away with this kind of thing. Who knows, maybe she'll be back, unlike Kee-oth, who seems to be dead now... Speaking of which, the way they beat Kee-oth is kind of funny, especially since at first, I didn't know how Finn restored his sword, but it's actually pretty brilliant how they it was made from frozen grape juice... and apparently, Shelby is a Priest now. Also, MMM, CHECK PLEASE!!! There are a lot of other minor jokes that got me, too, like BMO asking to "rate this video" and junk, but that one stuck out the most to me!

James
Well, that was certainly an interesting episode... Again, I get the feeling that a LOT of these episodes this season are all set-ups for something bigger to happen down the line. James himself was pretty funny, though I get the feeling he could easily come off as annoying to some people (though not to the degree of Lemongrab). "I want to start colonizing this area..." ...Is Princess Bubblegum trying to take over the world or something? I mean, she seems like a reasonable authority figure, but she does a lot of... questionable actions. Hell, even cloning James at the end was questionable itself. So much so that it makes me question what PB was REALLY doing, or what really happened while they were all trapped... or what happened when Finn and Jake were knocked out. Those goop monsters look like the monsters that attacked Simon and Marcy almost 1000 years back... and what Shoko turned into after she landed in that green gunk! They're almost like the candy zombies, only more terrifying, as they're connected to the Mushroom War. And the fact that James turned into one, and that they escaped the ditch they were originally buried in spells bad news for the good guys! Once again, minor jokes totally stole the show for me, most of them are too specific really name off. The one that sticks out to me is when Jake said he had a wife and kids and he hoped that he'd "outlive at least one of them". XP

Root Beer Guy
OH HEY, it's that giant ogre from The Enchiridion! I guess he somehow ate some candy people... Wait, Finn and Jake were chasing that ogre with some swords... where did they get those?! Um, anyway, this episode was alright. I nice little one-off episode, MAYBE one that'll lead to more of Root Beer Guy. I kind of like him, AND he's been promoted to Captain of the Banana Guards, thus head of the Candy Kingdom security. Speaking of which, can I just point out who funny I find it that the Banana Guards are so flipping incompetent? Some people might be annoyed with this sort of "the authorities are useless" trope, but I honestly can't get enough of it, or at the very least, I find this example especially funny! It's weird, because at first, I didn't have that much to say about it, but I ended up liking it overall. ...Also, apparently candy people eat candy... I guess all that matters is that the candy isn't sentient?

Apple Wedding
Well, the big moment has finally arrived... Tree Trunks and Mr. Pig getting married, how sweet! ...Though admittedly, I was shocked to find out that Tree Trunks had 3 ex-husbands... But then again, Tree Trunk is a foxy little elephant thing! XP Also, Finn's on LSP duty, I like how everyone acknowledges how much of a drama queen and spotlight-stealer LSP is (and when she DOES show up, Holy Hell is it funny). Though I have to also admit, the fact that PB is on top of this wedding is surprising, considering I haven't seen her being that close with Tree Trunks, but whatever. Wait... "the king of Ooo"? Oh snap... This episode was more important then I originally thought it would be. Except not, because this guy came completely out of nowhere and we never get any clarification on who he is or what his deal is... Not to mention, PB locking up not only him but EVERYONE at the wedding really does NOT make her look good. Seriously, she's pretty messed up, especially in light of some of these recent episodes... I have a feeling, we're going to find out something big about her, and her supposed rule. Well, at least she released them all. The jokes are really funny, as usual, but I'm beginning to notice the more serious aspects of this show in addition to the comedic aspects, and it really emphasizes how much the show has changed since the beginning. Regardless, it's all funny. Also, I would expect Tree Trunks's mother to look more ancient then she does.

Blade of Grass
Finn finally gets a new sword... sort of... I have to wonder what the Hell those guys were at the beginning. Also, I get that Finn is attached to the family heirloom sword, but was he that attached to any of the other swords he used? Plus, what about that other sword he used in Root Beer Guy? And FINALLY Choose Goose comes back, it's been FOREVER since we last saw him! Too bad we don't see much of him, we just get a brief cameo, and a call-back to Blood Under Your Skin. Though he DID come back when Finn and Jake needed help, only for him to refuse to help at first since they did business with someone else. Regardless, awesome to see he's back... Say, whatever happened to that armor, again? Anyway, the sword in question... Yeah, a grass sword doesn't sound very practical. Even if it is deadly sharp, I can bet it'll catch on fire and thus Finn will need ANOTHER new sword! Also, it really does feel like a major down-grade compared to the family heirloom sword! I found it weird that slicing a pizza before it could hit Jake on the head is what they use to establish that it's a better sword then the previous ones... but I kind of get it, not only is it sharp, but it's also light-weight. I can only imagine how heavy a demon-blood embedded sword is. I also like how it still makes metallic noises when slicing and also putting it down, despite being made of grass... which Finn can bite off when he starts ripping it off his arm as it starts to take over his body. Still, the things that sword can do, it's pretty awesome! That Grass Wizard was pretty funny, too, though not funny enough to really go into all that much. Also, we don't see Mr. Pig when we see Tree Trunks, but Tree Trunks still has the ring from the wedding, so I'm assuming they're still married and he's just out for a while. Also, "it's the hooligans who love candles!" That made me laugh, probably because how stupidly specific that was!

Rattleballs
Boy did this start out awkward. I actually really don't like episodes that focus on Finn's relationship issues, they always turn out REALLY awkward and uncomfortable. Also, the fact that Finn took 3 weeks to milk a freaking MINK is just too disturbing to be funny. Anyway, Rattleballs, what a flipping badass! Way to make the sword Finn just got look completely ineffectual, BTW. Although it DID grow back... Hell, maybe that IS a better sword! But anyway, I like how the gumball sphere is on the bottom of Rattleballs instead of the top, like how you would expect of a gumball machine person (also, how can a gumball machine fart?). Finn really is insane, too, totally telling Rattleballs to bring it on when he threatened to pluck out his eyeballs! I find it strange that Finn asked for training, despite being a fairly decent sword-fighter before... not to mention, his cursed grass sword pretty much makes him instinctively slice stuff up, so seeing him flop about on occasion here is a little embarrassing... But then again, at least the episode didn't make him out to be all THAT bad, plus I can buy that Finn has the energy but not the skill to back up his fighting. Still, a lot of Rattleballs's training methods are a bit unorthodox, not to mention don't seem to have anything to do with sword fighting. I liked seeing Finn squat on hot coals without hesitation, though, he's so determined you don't even know! I was actually kind of hoping Finn would learn Rattleballs' technique, but then again, it seems a bit too intense for Finn to master in one go... maybe someday. You know, I have to wonder why PB went back to the ineffectual banana guards... I mean, even if the gumball robots were too violent, you'd think she'd find someone more adequate at the job. Plus, again, really nailing how morally questionable PB's actions are. I really do hope this is all learning do something... Then again, she DID spare Rattleballs... or rather, SIR Rattleballs! AND he's going to be a silent protector, AWESOME! I guess after she saw how similar he was to Finn (committed to her, 100%), she saw the light... Also, he hinted at her "bloodthirsty nature"... MAN, this is deep stuff! Also, Root Beer Guy again, yay! Also, Banana Guards have brown hair? Weird...

So yeah, that last episode was great! Though if I'm being honest, these quick thoughts don't compare to my other recaps on other shows, such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Wander Over Yonder. On the one hand, I wish I could have more to say, but on the other hand, I'm glad I could get my initial thoughts out just like that and not dwell too long on them. The series really is awesome, even if I appreciate it now for different reasons then I did before.

...Also, still anticipating "Betty"...

Yeah no, I do not have that many thoughts on those episodes. Although I did read them all.
I kind of wonder what this season will bring. The last major episodes were with the Lich, pretty much the big bad of the series, and he was defeated. I guess. In some way. I doubt he'll come back though. But now, I don't really know where the series is heading. I wouldn't call it directionless. It's going in some direction, I just don't know which way. My guess, is that this is leading all up to the Mushroom War. Please let it head that direction.

Dracomon said:
Yeah no, I do not have that many thoughts on those episodes. Although I did read them all.
I kind of wonder what this season will bring. The last major episodes were with the Lich, pretty much the big bad of the series, and he was defeated. I guess. In some way. I doubt he'll come back though. But now, I don't really know where the series is heading. I wouldn't call it directionless. It's going in some direction, I just don't know which way. My guess, is that this is leading all up to the Mushroom War. Please let it head that direction.
Well, no, he wasn't defeated, he was just left behind with Prismo... He could just as easily leave or try something else. So no, I highly doubt that's the last we'll see of him.

I actually like where the series is heading, it's going into full backstory mode, whereas previously, they've been just doing whatever, then bringing back old characters and stuff. It's a change I like, as it gives me more to think about with this show. Plus it still has it's funny moments.

I really think the Lich is done in the series. The way I see it, if the Lich could come back to Ooo he would've done so, and there would've been an episode about it. Of course, I've been wrong many times before, but the lack of seeing or mentioning the Lich doesn't seem too good for his return.

And yes, I agree with you, I love where this series is going. I just do not know where the destination is.

Dracomon said:
I really think the Lich is done in the series. The way I see it, if the Lich could come back to Ooo he would've done so, and there would've been an episode about it. Of course, I've been wrong many times before, but the lack of seeing or mentioning the Lich doesn't seem too good for his return.

And yes, I agree with you, I love where this series is going. I just do not know where the destination is.
Well, come on, he couldn't have gotten back to Ooo THAT easily... He doesn't have a device that can take him back there, so he'll likely have to wait for a wormhole to connect to there. Plus, he still needed a plan. If there's one thing the Lich is surprisingly good at, it's coming up with a plan to make sure he succeeds. Hell, it took 2 season for the Lich to go from possessing the snail to killing Billy and wearing his skin, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say he takes his time with these things.

I don't know the direction, either, but then again, that's kind of the fun, isn't it? In fact, that's ALWAYS been Adventure Time's core appeal, it never goes in a direction you expect (most of the time, anyway).

I've been missing a few episodes recently, have they done something about Lemongrab's kingdom. Last time I saw it, it was a mess and Lemongrab swallowed his twin

Pandapowah said:
I've been missing a few episodes recently, have they done something about Lemongrab's kingdom. Last time I saw it, it was a mess and Lemongrab swallowed his twin
Not yet... though I'd REALLY like to see how that turns out.

Pandapowah said:
Things gets worse and worse for Lemongrab every time he comes back
Honestly, I thought he was improving... at least until "Another Five More Short Graybles", then things took a sharp nosedive for him...

Yeah i hope they didn't forget about him. They probably won't, the creators always go back to clear things up. Like that ghost lady Finn encountered at the mansion. They cleared that WAAAAY later.

Pandapowah said:
Yeah i hope they didn't forget about him. They probably won't, the creators always go back to clear things up. Like that ghost lady Finn encountered at the mansion. They cleared that WAAAAY later.
If there's one thing that strikes me about season 5 (at least, the second half, which some people call "season 5.5", instead of season 6) it's that a lot of it feels like set-ups for bigger things down the line: Maja the Sky Witch, Finn and Flame Princess
breaking up, and Flame Princess becoming the new Flame King (though the original Flame King is supposedly breaking free in the next episode)
, Lemongrab
eating Lemongrab 2, and the Earldom of Lemongrab going to shit, plus Lemonhope finding a new home in the Candy Kingdom
, the constant hints at Princess Bubblegum's past in The Vault, James, and Rattleballs, Rattleballs himself, plus a whole bunch of other stuff that may or may not lead to anything...

i think i've watched about 3 or 4 episodes... off the top of my head, i think i've seen the one where finn and jake free the lich (i think it was the lich) by accident and it possesses princess bubblegum (iirc it was a two parter), i've seen one where jake dares finn into going inside a dungeon that princess bubblegum says not to go into, then there was one where the ice king paralyzes finn and jake and forces them to become friends, and gunter keeps trying to knock over the antidote for the paralysis, and i've also seen parts of the episode where they meet marceline, and the one with the gender swapped characters

Youve just named some of the best episodes of adventure time. Especially when they meet marceline. I love how it just happens that that cave was also hers.

Hotaru Tomoe said:
i think i've watched about 3 or 4 episodes... off the top of my head, i think i've seen the one where finn and jake free the lich (i think it was the lich) by accident and it possesses princess bubblegum (iirc it was a two parter), i've seen one where jake dares finn into going inside a dungeon that princess bubblegum says not to go into, then there was one where the ice king paralyzes finn and jake and forces them to become friends, and gunter keeps trying to knock over the antidote for the paralysis, and i've also seen parts of the episode where they meet marceline, and the one with the gender swapped characters
What do you think of the series?

well, it's ok, i guess... i mostly just watched it because that was what was on tv at the time. i don't think i'd go out of my way to watch it all, but it's a decent series from what i've seen, although the humour isn't always to my taste

Hotaru Tomoe said:
well, it's ok, i guess... i mostly just watched it because that was what was on tv at the time. i don't think i'd go out of my way to watch it all, but it's a decent series from what i've seen, although the humour isn't always to my taste
That's cool, I can understand that there's a lot to take in with Adventure Time, and it can be a bit too... "out there".

Pandapowah said:
http://rabalogy.tumblr.com/post/74013983772

Oh so the grass sword is still bad news
Yeah, someone pointed that out on another forum I go to... It'd be interesting if the series actually gets to the point where Finn actually DOES lose his arm! Considering what they've done so far in the show, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Pandapowah said:
http://rabalogy.tumblr.com/post/74013983772

Oh so the grass sword is still bad news

I just noticed that too!

I was going to mention the farmworld finn.

Back