Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra

If you could choose what kind of Bender you'd be. What element would you choose?

• Waterbender

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Earthbender

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Firebender

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Airbender

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Non-Bender

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
The technology is getting so advanced! SO ADVANCED. In the future the next avatar will probably simply have a laser canon since the already have mech robots and cars. Or maybe humanity will become lazy from technology and loose their connection with the spirits thus severing the avatars Raava spirit and with that the Avatar Cycle and they'll all become lazy and dependant on technology...like we are in real life.

"Well, I'm really only productive for about fifteen minutes a day, usually in the afternoon around 3:45."
Other than that, Zaofu unsurprisingly fell, Bolin can't do the thing, and Korra still has issues to work out.

oh right i totally forgot there was an episode tonight

oh well too late to watch it now

This episode was fun. Bolin and Varrick make the greatest team and Bataar Jr's face when the train exploded was hilarious. Also very nice to see that Korra still hasn't gotten over her PTSD. Hope for some more development with that.

The whole Korra fight thing was pretty predictable, but that's not what the episode was about, so it's all cool.

Yeah, it was obvious Korra was going to lose. I'm not sure what they're going to do from here, though.

And I've been enjoying Varrick and Bolin's sub-plot. They actually made Bolin useful.

Yeah, the Varrick and Bolin plot was the best aspect of the episode, although I also really like how you still can't tell what Zhu Li's really up to and I was glad the one artist brother at least had enough backbone not to bow down at the end: I'd love to see him amount to more than comedic relief, but that's just me. I also found it surprising that Kuvira looked like she was going to go for the kill even though she'd clearly bested Korra - if all she wants is for the other nations to leave her alone while she forcibly unites the Earth Empire, killing the Avatar, beloved of the Air Nomads, friend of the Fire Nation, patron of Republic City, and daughter of the Chief of the Southern Water Tribe, seems like a rather poor tactical choice.

New episode.

Loving how Varrick continues to prove himself to be a useful member of the extended Team Avatar. The return of the spirit vine powers was cool too, and whoo boy, Kuvira's in the swamp, slicing up the roots of the big tree that's been there forever and really aught not to be meddled with. Really hoping Toph shows up and opens a can of whup ass on the Idiot Uniter at some point. As for the other half of the main cast, the part where Mako found out Korra wrote to Asami and not to him or Bolin was good, but Korra and Asami's little spat felt really forced - Kotta's comment was dumb and Asami overreacted, and the moral of the story is they're totally in love there's growing pains when you get reunited with your girlfriend. Of course, the fact that it WAS dripping with Korrasami vibes means I'm gonna complain TOO much... Also, Wu is hilarious; I love that guy, srsly.

My Korrasami sense is tingling. Another great episode. I love the dynamic of Bolin and Varrick. Also, I hope Toph absolutely wrecks Kuvira's shit but I sadly don't see that happening.

is wu supposed to get character development or is he just here for comic relief

because i can't stand him

also can someone please explain why zhao fu couldn't just close their metal shields around the city or something to keep kovira out? i feel like they said something about this but i totally forgot it

Nabber said:
also can someone please explain why zhao fu couldn't just close their metal shields around the city or something to keep kovira out? i feel like they said something about this but i totally forgot it
Hard to keep metalbenders out with metal. Especially if there is an army of metalbenders trying to get in - an army that also has robots and tanks and whatnot, while by contrast, most of your metalbenders are innocent, frightened civilian families.

Great episode. I never thought about it, but the fight scenes this episode were really well choreographed.

Anyway, Wu doesn't seem to have any character development yet. Varrick's been getting the character development, and I like that. Who would have thought Varrick/Bolin would work so well? They finally found a way to make Bolin his own character, and not just comic relief.

I thought kidnapping Wu was kinda stupid, though. Kuvira has basically won, why does she need to support kidnappings? And pulling down the tree in the swamp. That is in no way going to horribly backfire *sarcasm*. Honestly, it reminds me of that scene in Avatar (the James Cameron movie). It's just there to say "Hey, guys, Kuvira's evil! She doesn't care about nature!"

Purple Yoshi said:
Honestly, it reminds me of that scene in Avatar (the James Cameron movie). It's just there to say "Hey, guys, Kuvira's evil! She doesn't care about nature!"
Yeah, that was exactly what I thought when I saw that scene.

also mako is a shit bodyguard

Nabber said:
so that was a huge waste of an episode

varrick's part was funny though
This is why:

Bryan said:
In a couple hours the eighth chapter of Korra Book 4 will be released online, and I suppose, if you are none the wiser, a few minutes into it you will feel duped and yell at your screen, “Hey! This is a crummy clips episode!” And that is (almost) exactly what it is––except we all worked really hard to make sure at the very least it isn’t crummy. I’m here to explain why we ended up having to do one. Sometime around a year and a half ago we were similarly duped on a large scale. We got the news from the higher-ups that our Book 4 budget was getting slashed, almost to the tune of an entire episode’s budget. We had two options: 1) let go a significant number of crew members several weeks early, or 2) make a clips episode. We never considered the first option. We weren’t going to do that to our crew, and even if we were callous enough to do so, we never would have been able to finish the season without them. But having grown up on TV in the ’80s and ’90s, we all dread clips episodes, where characters sit around saying, “Remember that time when…” and leftover footage is reheated for no one’s enjoyment. Anyone who suffered through TNG’s “Shades of Gray” knows what I’m talking about.

Anime fans know this is a common occurrence in Japanese series as well. In fact, as Mike hung his head in disappointment at our fate, I remembered how one of my favorite anime series, Samurai Champloo, made what I thought was a really awesome and clever clips episode. They mixed about 5 minutes of new footage in with the old, and set up a context where the characters would be reflecting on past events while narrating over them, offering new insights or at least providing some humor. I pitched this angle to Mike and he agreed this was the best way to turn this big old lemon into some lemonade.

Back on Avatar, we had something that functioned as a sort of clips episode, though it was all new animation and really hard to make, Episode 317, “The Ember Island Players.” Our heroes went to a play where they saw themselves and their tales performed by actors on stage. It was simultaneously a reckoning for the characters before they headed into the denouement, and a lighthearted romp where we got to poke fun at our own show before things got really serious in the remaining episodes. Korra’s “Remembrances” ended up serving the same function, albeit with old footage instead of a newly animated play. There is about 5 minutes of new footage, wonderfully animated by Studio Mir, and a bunch of funny and touching narration from the characters. There are also some fun chibi heads and other treats in there to spice up the old footage.

What started out as a reluctant chore ended up being a really fun episode to make, and in the end I truly love it. Mike did an awesome job directing it and storyboarding all the chibi hilarity, as well as overseeing the wonderful script by Josh Hamilton, Katie Mattila, and Tim Hedrick. Joaquim Dos Santos, Ryu Ki Hyun, and Lauren Montgomery drew fantastic storyboards for the new footage (particularly Lauren’s insane Varrick posing). Lots of other folks worked their tails off on this one, namely Amaris Calvin, our animatics editor; Christie Tseng, our character designer who drew and colored all of the final chibi art; Matt Gadbois, our After Effects editor; and Chris Hink, our final picture editor. Last but not least, Aran Tanchum and Vinny Guisetti on foley, Benjamin Wynn on sound design, and a stellar new score with all your favorite hits by Jeremy Zuckerman. And plenty of other fine folks I’m forgetting!

So now you know what it is and why it happened. I hope you do end up enjoying it after all, especially as a last lighthearted, nostalgic romp before POOP. GETS. REAL. And then the series is done.

Love, Bryan

And yeah, Varrick's part is the best.

I say they did a good job of turning the lemons into lemonade. Especially the part with the phones. I lol'd.

Korra went to see Zaheer. Fucking called it. Cool to see him again and cool to see them team up.

Azumi finally got some lines, which is nice. Poor Bolin though. Opal's anger is justified, but poor Bolin.

Lin and Opal are on a mission to save their family. I know there's one more Beifoing who could help with that.

It seems Izumi has a good handle on things. It's a shame we probably won't see Azula in any capacity, though. I wonder if Toph will help with the mission to save her family. My guess is she cares more about that tree than she does them.

Back