Canonicity

RudnickiMarioX06 said:
It is true that not all of the Mario games follow the same continuity. And I seen terrible jobs on the wiki tying to tie different things together. when read they sound utterly confusing. If only we had more professional writers that happened to be huge Mario fans. It's a huge wiki I can't fix everything.
Examples? :|

McWayo said:
RudnickiMarioX06 said:
It is true that not all of the Mario games follow the same continuity. And I seen terrible jobs on the wiki tying to tie different things together. when read they sound utterly confusing. If only we had more professional writers that happened to be huge Mario fans. It's a huge wiki I can't fix everything.
Examples? :|

The Mario page, maybe?

I must says that I agree with Rudnicki here. Trying to reconcile the Cartoon, Movie and games continuity isn't giving equal representation to all these mediums. It's just fanwank.

The Mario article is, indeed, confusing... But let Rudnicki "fix" it, then it'll be A LOT worse. :-\

RudnickiMarioX06 said:
It is true that not all of the Mario games follow the same continuity.
Proof plz.

SiFi said:
RudnickiMarioX06 said:
It is true that not all of the Mario games follow the same continuity.
Proof plz.
He'll probably give us some hilariously retarded rant, so, thanks for saying that, SiFi! ;D

Will somebody plz tell me what The Shroom is? That's what some members here must be smokin!

RudnickiMarioX06 said:
Will somebody plz tell me what The Shroom is? That's what some members here must be smokin!
WRONG TOPIC
AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION

SiFi said:
RudnickiMarioX06 said:
WRONG TOPIC
AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION
LOL!! XD

Nice one, SiFi. :P

Ghost Jam: as far as specifics go regarding what I've said on this post, I really wish you'd asked it earlier (well, earlier than 3 months after my last post), because I'm not remembering the specific things you refering to. I'll do my best though.

You're going to have to ask Knife about the policy in question, Ghost Jam. If I remember it was some flimsily written thing made from a proposal. Anyway, we were discussing something and he brought that up as evidence against me, so I just trusted him that it was valid. If you really want to see the article, like I said ask him. Hopefully he'll know what we're talking about if you mention that it says to separate spin-offs and main series for the sake of removing assumptions. (ie Mario and Bowser made up for the MK race, then went back to being enemies or soemthing silly like that)

WarioWafter said:
Now that must be canon.
Eh? The link I provided was basically saying that some forms of media can't tie in with other forms of media, but fans themselves can decide what goes together and what doesn't. :-\

At least, that's what I got from it. :-\

Thanks for the link, DP. I found that interesting.

Going off all that, I'm thinking that it would be better to just acknowledge that some things just don't connect and exist in it's own canon. While we could decide for ourselves where everything goes, I feel that this:

1. Take to many liberties, especially if something down the line comes along and screws with the works.
2. Creates to many situations for the community to fight.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that. There are many ways you can write in order to side-step plotholes that range from listing out events to literally pointing out the problem. Honestly I think we'd be better off if we dropped the whole canon thing altogether. I think it was Blitzwing who once suggested that we throw out everything on MarioWiki:Canonicity and replace it with "There is no official canon." Maybe that's a little extreme, but at least it's factual.

Hey, about continuity... this article is about the Sonic the Hedgehog series, wherin the divisions aren't even arguable between different TV shows, video games, etc. I like this article just because it talks about how the focus of a fan should be on recognizing that all aspects, both in the same canon and in a different one, are part of the present character.

http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/features/canon.html

Soooo... what's to be done? Do we just remove all mentions of canon and write so as not to imply whether something is or isn't in the continuity?

I'm in favor of dumping MarioWiki:Canonicity (might even help clear up a few issues with these relationship sections) and possibly redefining the term Marioverse, as I see that as the root of the problem.

Ghost Jam said:
I'm in favor of dumping MarioWiki:Canonicity (might even help clear up a few issues with these relationship sections) and possibly redefining the term Marioverse, as I see that as the root of the problem.
I'm onboard 100%, GJ! :)

I was thinking that a proposal might be the best method, but it would need to be fleshed out, making sure that everyone involved understands what's going on.

Then I had another thought....create the proposal and direct to this topic.

I don't want the few of us to make a decision this big without proper input from everyone who would care. The last thing we need is everyone all BLLLARGFHODUIJFKER(OIEJLKDHFKJSDVN over this.

Yeah, this would definately be a good place to link people to. How about we start formulating the proposal here as well?

Ghost Jam said:
I was thinking that a proposal might be the best method, but it would need to be fleshed out, making sure that everyone involved understands what's going on.

Then I had another thought....create the proposal and direct to this topic.

I don't want the few of us to make a decision this big without proper input from everyone who would care. The last thing we need is everyone all BLLLARGFHODUIJFKER(OIEJLKDHFKJSDVN over this.
I LOL'd so hard at the last sentence. XD On a serious note, yeah, we should make a detailed Proposal on this. :)

Stumpers said:
Yeah, this would definately be a good place to link people to. How about we start formulating the proposal here as well?
How about we do that? :)

So only things that are canon and not mass opinion be permitted? If I remember, mass opinion that the green dude was Mario's brother created :luigi: !

What? No one said anything like that.

The idea is everything is acceptable, we just need to stop trying to place every freaken little thing Nintendo craps out in some timeline that more than likely doesn't exists.

I'm trying to remember where, but I swear there has been an official comment about the fact that Nintendo purposely isn't over-specifying the events of the Mario series, because it would limit the scenarios they put Mario in (being a doctor for instance, playing random sports, changing locations to match gameplay, etc.). I think I'll take a stab at making a draft of the proposal.

I just make my own stories with the Mario characters in, daft and sad as it sounds. To Bermuda with canonicity, I just want the Koopas and the Lakitus...at least, I focus on their lives, the most.

Back