Which game franchises should die?

Baby Luigi said:
Buster Baxter said:
Pandapowah said:
Any games based on sports. Please, if you're going to play sports, play a real one outside.

I agree.

I like the Mario sports, though or maybe you guys meant by something other than Mario :|

Yeah, I think PandaSoul meant sports games like these

madden-2010-cover.jpg

I have nothing against Mario sports or anything similar (Sega Superstar Tennis or Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing).

Yeah, don't we get too much Madden games every year anyway?

I don't think any should die. However, I can think of a few should take a short hiatus. Zelda and Pokemon should for example, as much as I love those two series.

I'll probably get attacked for this, but I think Mario should go on hiatus as well.

Smasher said:
I'll probably get attacked for this, but I think Mario should go on hiatus as well.

I say it's just the mainstream and spin-offs. We could use more Mario RPGs. How long has it been since Bowser's Inside Story was released.

Buster Baxter said:
Smasher said:

I say it's just the mainstream and spin-offs. We could use more Mario RPGs. How long has it been since Bowser's Inside Story was released.

At least they're developing Paper Mario 3DS still.

As much as I love platformer and especially spin-offs, I agree too.

Buster Baxter said:
How long has it been since Bowser's Inside Story was released.
Uh

A year or so?

Seriously, the more you rush these games the worse they are.

I'm perfectly happy with waiting a year for Pokemon Grey, as long as it's a good game and not rushed.

Magus said:
I may sound crazy for saying this, but I really hope the next Zelda doesn't have Zelda, the Triforce, Ganon, or even any of the main locations (except maybe Gerudo Desert, since that's underrated).
There are games like that, but there are all Handheld games. But yeah, a 3D platform like that would be different.

Evil Magikrazy said:
They all need to die. Video games are corrupting the mind of our youth.
I find your quote highly amusing and ironic.

Mario4Ever said:
I agree with some extent on all of those.

Dr. Javelin said:
Buster Baxter said:
How long has it been since Bowser's Inside Story was released.
Uh

A year or so?

Seriously, the more you rush these games the worse they are.

I'm perfectly happy with waiting a year for Pokemon Grey, as long as it's a good game and not rushed.

I just checked the wiki and it's been 3 years at least in Japan.

Okay, so it normally takes them three years between the games.

What's the big deal, anyways? BiS still feels recent to me.

Though to be fair, I play games like Battlefront II and Republic Commando and call them recent. Which they are compared to Ocarina of Time N64 and Age of Empires II...

Kind of feels long to me. Although that might just be I haven't picked it up since I beat it. But you're right, I shouldn't rush Nintendo.

Dead or Alive, that way, it'll just be "Dead".

On-topic, I don't think any of them should die, but it would be better if Call of Duty waited a bit before releasing another one.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Uniju said:
I don't think any game franchise should die, bad game franchises should get better.
I don't subscribe to this rational, especially not for series that have 7+ games in them. Perhaps it's just me being a hipster who wants to see more brand new IPs rise up rather than just more sequels, but I feel that a series can only go so long before it just becomes redundant; you very rarely see movies last more than four sequels, and they've usually already completely collapsed on themselves by the third film.
Horrible, horrible idea. There were 7+ games before in the Mario franchise before Super Mario Bros. The recentness that the characters in a video game were introduced has absolutely no bearing on the quality of games or the abstract newness of the gameplay itself. Nintendo has kept Mario fresh with interesting new gameplay mechanics for over 30 years, why should they trash the Mario franchise? To replace it with a "new IP" that plays the same as the new Mario would have?

And even without new gameplay mechanics, a sequel can still surpass it's predecesor working entirely within the mechanics of it with quality, challenging levels.

I don't understand your comparison to film well enough to argue against it, because I know nothing about the medium of film. Maybe if films were exactly like video games I could just apply what I know about video games to them without it being horribly invalid, but they're not. Oh well.

Pandapowah said:
Any games based on sports. Please, if you're going to play sports, play a real one outside.
Pong.png

That's not what they said at the dawn of the video game industry.

Smasher said:
I don't think any should die. However, I can think of a few should take a short hiatus. Zelda and Pokemon should for example, as much as I love those two series.

Yes, give the limelight to someone else, Nintendo. How about one of the franchises that most people know for Smash Bros.

Cilan said:
Yeah, Pokemon needs to go on hiatus. They're running out of ideas, and a short break might fix that. I mean, I love Unova, but it's like a poor rehash of the first generation. (Similar pokemon and all that)
But it's so much better than the 4th Generation. I despise that Gen.

DragonFreak said:
Cilan said:
Yeah, Pokemon needs to go on hiatus. They're running out of ideas, and a short break might fix that. I mean, I love Unova, but it's like a poor rehash of the first generation. (Similar pokemon and all that)
Really? When Diamond and Pearl first came out, they were on my top ten list. Here is how it was.

Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Red/Green/Blue
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Hey You, Pikachu!
Pokemon Puzzle League/Challenge
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Pokemon Pinball R/S
Pokemon Crystal

Honorable Mention: Pokemon Channel

The Crash franchise. It's become a Franchise Zombie, and Naughty Dog has no control over it whatsoever. I'd also like a Pokemon game that doesn't stick to the formula that the series has set up. Y'know, like an MMORPG.

DragonFreak said:
Cilan said:

I definitely have to agree upon the 4th gen being the weakest in the series (no offence 4th generation fans). They were fine games; however, I felt a certain blandness about these games in comparison to the unique feeling given off by the games of the other generations.

The 5th generation was definitely an improvement and I personally felt that it was executed in the right way (a new experience just like the original with new Pokemon). I don't think Gamefreak is losing ideas; however, it might be nice to see the company take some time in developing the later titles so that they gain more ideas as well for their future releases.

I personally think some of the Mario titles should be given some extra time to develop. We all know the story of Mario Kart 7 (though that was done in necessity to save the 3DS and its poor sales). I personally think that the main Mario platformers should take some extra time instead of being simple rehashes of the previous games. However, the flow of spin-offs should continue. The Mario spin-offs are still fine to see immediately though the installments of the main series should be delayed for some time so that we can get more something more fresh from the Mario platformers.

Cap'n Falcon said:
The Crash franchise. It's become a Franchise Zombie, and Naughty Dog has no control over it whatsoever. I'd also like a Pokemon game that doesn't stick to the formula that the series has set up. Y'know, like an MMORPG.
No! Granted naughty dog had the best games but the other games are great too.

Yoshidude99 said:
Cap'n Falcon said:
No! Granted naughty dog had the best games but the other games are great too.
Yeah, but it's nothing like it used to be. It used to rival Sonic, but now it's just another game franchise.

Yeah but it still has fun games and a new one was being made like the originals last year. It was cancelled but that dosen't mean it won't be maade soon.

Propeller Toad said:
DragonFreak said:
Cilan said:

I definitely have to agree upon the 4th gen being the weakest in the series (no offence 4th generation fans). They were fine games; however, I felt a certain blandness about these games in comparison to the unique feeling given off by the games of the other generations.

The 5th generation was definitely an improvement and I personally felt that it was executed in the right way (a new experience just like the original with new Pokemon). I don't think Gamefreak is losing ideas; however, it might be nice to see the company take some time in developing the later titles so that they gain more ideas as well for their future releases.
I agree with that too. But it's not only the video games, even the anime was pretty bad with the 4th generation.

I like Call of duty but i think it should die because its just the same

But nazi zombies could be made into a full game (which is a mode in call of duty)

Back