All-Star Mode

Which version of All-Star Mode do you prefer?

• Melee's random group of characters with 25 Mr. Game and Watches at the end.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Brawl's order of characters from oldest to most recent.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Self-Explanatory topic.

I wasn't a big fan of either All-Stars Mode, Melee's version just didn't appeal to me espeically since I fought the same group of random characters during multiple playthroughs and Brawl's version became old real quick having to fight the characters in the same order every time (Game and Watch first, Olimar last), and fighting on the same stages was frustrating (I'm looking at you, New Pork City). although I do have to give props to Brawl for randomizing the characters when multiple opponents would be fought.

So, which version of All-Star Mode do you prefer, and if it returns in the next Super Smash Bros, what changes would you make?

Personally, I think the player should choose which order the characters are fought in with the exception of their own character, who should be the last opponent.

Why not have a mix of both? Randomize both the characters AND series you face?

And yes, I agree that it would be cool to pick which series you fight next, but I'd prefer to keep the characters randomized at the same time.

Both were pretty neat I think. Brawl's was special because it was based on the order that the series debuted. To have Sonic in the middle of those Nintendo characters I felt was pretty special especially considering you fight him in Green Hill Zone.

I do think they should put some sort of new twist in SSB4 though. But I don't know what that'd be.

Northern Verve said:
Both were pretty neat I think. Brawl's was special because it was based on the order that the series debuted. To have Sonic in the middle of those Nintendo characters I felt was pretty special especially considering you fight him in Green Hill Zone.

I do think they should put some sort of new twist in SSB4 though. But I don't know what that'd be.
I agree with everything you said, especially about Sonic.

Super Mario the Hedgehog said:

And yes, I agree that it would be cool to pick which series you fight next, but I'd prefer to keep the characters randomized at the same time.

No, I mean the player chooses their opponents individually, not by series, for example: Mario, Link, Kirby, Luigi, etc.

Mixing them together sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how that would really work.

Northern Verve said:

True, learning the order the series debuted was a neat idea.

Kick Buttowski said:
Super Mario the Hedgehog said:

No, I mean the player chooses their opponents individually, not by series, for example: Mario, Link, Kirby, Luigi, etc.

Mixing them together sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how that would really work.

Northern Verve said:

True, learning the order the series debuted was a neat idea.
I mean that the series order is random with the characters of each one you face in a random order as well. As for characters, NOW I understand what you were saying. That'd be a splendid idea! In fact, why can't you have a mode where you choose to have the series listed randomly, chronologically, or wanted along with the option to specially choose whether you want to fight random characters in each series, random characters altogether, picked order in a series, or picked order altogether?

Northern Verve said:
Brawl's was special because it was based on the order that the series debuted.

how did i never notice that i feel like an idiot now

I'd kinda like the Melee style to return myself, but the Brawl style was neat too and a new style would also be cool.

Smasher said:
Northern Verve said:
Brawl's was special because it was based on the order that the series debuted.

how did i never notice that i feel like an idiot now
Nor did I .__. Anyways, in the Melee version, I found it pretty easy. Though in brawl I'd always get a game over back then, even if I used all 3 hearts :/ (wasn't that good at brawl when I was younger lol)

I just thought of something this morning. Since only one life is given in All-Stars Mode, the player should be allowed to pick up at the last opponent where they left off instead of having to start over.

Kick Buttowski said:
I just thought of something this morning. Since only one life is given in All-Stars Mode, the player should be allowed to pick up at the last opponent where they left off instead of having to start over.

I think that's supposed to be the challenge of All-Star mode. One life, Fighting every playable character in the game, only 3 full recoveries allowed. If they do that I think a large deduction to your score should be placed if you continue. Sort of like when you lose all your lives in Classic Mode.

Voted for the wrong option D: I like Brawl. G and W to Olimar.

Kick Buttowski said:
A score deduction isn't a very good penalty though since it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Well how could you punish the player in terms of gameplay? Make their character slower, or as small as they when they touch a Poison Mushroom, make them respawn at a certain damage number?

Melee's All-Star Mode is better, since you're actually fighting random opponents every time. In Brawl, it gets dull when you face opponents in the same order, while in Boss Battles, the bosses actually are fought randomly.

Northern Verve said:
Kick Buttowski said:
A score deduction isn't a very good penalty though since it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Well how could you punish the player in terms of gameplay? Make their character slower, or as small as they when they touch a Poison Mushroom, make them respawn at a certain damage number?

You just read my mind.

I can't go my way in Very Hard All Star mode without continues in Melee. Ugh.

Besides, I hope in the next game, where there are more playable characters, that they don't make it a requirement to get something by beating it with ALL characters. Brawl was bad enough. Same with Melee.

Back