Does anyone else not like third party characters in SSB?

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Back in the day, SSB was special because it was Nintendo themed. But with Sonic and Solid Snake, suddenly people have been more interested in third party characters rather than Nintendo characters. I dislike this and think that it should be like classic: Nintendo and no one else. Does anyone else feel this?

Third-party characters may be overrated and over-hyped sometimes, but I think they add to the game experience.

Well as someone who was actively hoping Sonic was going to get in Brawl practically not very long after the game was announced and Snake was announced. I'll admit of course I do like 3rd party characters. It's still a Nintendo game. One or 2 characters doesn't change Brawl in anyway. And as long as the roster grows in SSB4 and there's no more then 5 3rd Party characters it will stay that way.

And at least for the most part, any 3rd party characters that have had a history with Nintendo are more likely to get in. Any characters that have never been on a Nintendo system are considered far-fetched.

Northern Verve said:
Well as someone who was actively hoping Sonic was going to get in Brawl practically not very long after the game was announced and Snake was announced. I'll admit of course I do like 3rd party characters. It's still a Nintendo game. One or 2 characters doesn't change Brawl in anyway. And as long as the roster grows in SSB4 and there's no more then 5 3rd Party characters it will stay that way.

And at least for the most part, any 3rd party characters that have had a history with Nintendo are more likely to get in. Any characters that have never been on a Nintendo system are considered far-fetched.
You honestly summed up all of my thoughts in one comment. As long as they have a good relationship with being on Nintendo consoles, each from different companies, and no more than five, I honestly wouldn't mind!

Northern Verve said:

I completely agree with this post.

I find nothing wrong with Third party characters. Maybe if there's enough, people will stop refering to it as Mario Smash Bros.

No worse than Link, Kratos, Ezio or motherfucking Darth Vader appearing as guest fighters in the Soul Calibur series.

At the end of the day, that's what the third-party blokes are; guest characters. Do you have a problem with guests? Are you xenophobic?

for now there are only 2 characters, it's hard to see if they should quit or not

this game is Nintendo crossover, only if there are many Nintendo's own major games which haven't made representive fighters, then other corporates shouldn't join the project
it's not really serious for now, or other conditions such as Mario series hold too many representives

Crocodile Dippy said:
No worse than Link, Kratos, Ezio or motherfucking Darth Vader appearing as guest fighters in the Soul Calibur series.

At the end of the day, that's what the third-party blokes are; guest characters. Do
you have a problem with guests? Are you xenophobic?
No. I don't. But I want them to stay as guests, not take over the entire game with people going as far out as wanting Homestuck characters in the next game.

I personally like them as a concept, but I think that some of the choices for them (*coughsolidsnakecough*) were horrible.

Discord said:
not take over the entire game with people going as far out as wanting Homestuck characters in the next game.
Yeah, but those are popping up in the "far-fetched" thread. I'm sure those are being suggested as jokes more than anything.

And yeah, a small number (say, around 3-5) of third-party characters are more than welcome. Y'all got to see Sonic fight Mario, now let me see Samus fight Mega Man.

Toad2012 said:
I personally like them as a concept, but I think that some of the choices for them (*coughsolidsnakecough*) were horrible.
I'm really sick of this "SOLID SNAKE WAS A HORRIBLE CHOICE ;____;" bullshit everyone constantly vomits. How is Snake in Smash Bros. any more bizarre than Darth Vader in Soul Calibur IV or Phoenix goddamned Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom? Fighters are silly and unpredictable, and Snake was most certainly unpredictable. Get used to it.

Why do you oppose his inclusion? Is it because he's from an M-rated series? Is it because you're scared of fake military weaponry? Do you not like unique gameplay and movesets? I'm having a hard time figuring any of this out.

Snake was a great inclusion, and whoever came up with the idea to include third-party characters in general is a genius. There's nothing wrong with introducing some unexpected variety into the series.

Mario4Ever said:
There's nothing wrong with introducing some unexpected variety into the series.
Exactly. It's the same case with Robotic Operating Buddy appearing in Mario Kart DS and Queen Bee appearing in Mario Kart 7.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Why do you oppose his inclusion? Is it because he's from an M-rated series? Is it because you're scared of fake military weaponry? Do you not like unique gameplay and movesets? I'm having a hard time figuring any of this out.

Nah, I just don't like the character himself. It has nothing to do with his games being M-rated or his military theme, I just never really liked him as a person.

"I DON'T LIKE THIS GUY'S PERSONALITY, THAT MEANS HE IS A BAAAAAAAAAD FIGHTER WAAAAAAAAAAAAH ;_______;"

Crocodile Dippy said:
"I DON'T LIKE THIS GUY'S PERSONALITY, THAT MEANS HE IS A BAAAAAAAAAD FIGHTER WAAAAAAAAAAAAH ;_______;"

Did I say that?

No, I said that I didn't like his inclusion. I admire the guy's fighting skill, actually.

Nor did I whine or say "waaah."

You're not really saying anything that makes sense at this point, but that's to be expected since your reasoning for opposing his inclusion is fucking stupid.

Mario4Ever said:
Snake was a great inclusion, and whoever came up with the idea to include third-party characters in general is a genius. There's nothing wrong with introducing some unexpected variety into the series.

I think what he meant was, that people are now expecting, wanting, demanding, and wishing for non-Nintendo characters now instead of actual Nintendo characters.

I'm fine with 3rd party characters as long as there are only a handful of them.

Back