Wikipedia Blackout

Marwikedor

Marwikedor
Banned User
It seems Wikipedia is "blackedout" all over the English speaking world in protest to some proposed legislation the the US House of Representatives...

Which makes you think:

...is Wikipedia blocked out in the UK? Because that would be seriously messed up if it was.

oh god not this blocking-out-internet crap again

whyyyyyyyy government whyyyyyyyy

this better not pass

and for those of you too lazy to check it out yourselves, here's all that wikipedia has to say right now:
Wikipedia's Blackout Message said:
Imagine a World
Without Free Knowledge

For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

^Why not just use Google Translate? It's pretty bad with some translations, but that's my main solution for this.

The internet will be in serious trouble if this bill passes. Companies may despise copyright infringement, but this is just ridiculous.

It's only 24 hours guys. Deal with it.

I really hope this bill doesn't pass. I'm also annoyed by the blackout. What will the blackout do other than pissing people off a little bit?

It will raise awareness about the bill. A well-known site like Wikipedia is perfect for this since it's a site that politicians are likely to use.

This bill can pretty much endanger a lot of internet forums, especially the hacking forums.

MnSG said:
This bill can pretty much endanger a lot of internet forums, especially the hacking forums.
And this one, since it's a fansite. There's tons of copyright material here.

One of my friends got rid of the SOPA overlay...then as soon as we looked something up, it came back up again. :P

Anyone with access to a refresh button and fast enough reflexes can avoid the blackout. I'd even go so far as to say that if I had a Wikipedia account, I'd even be able to edit somewhat normally there even with this blackout.

Ultraluigi said:
MnSG said:
And this one, since it's a fansite. There's tons of copyright material here.
It could destroy everything.

If it passes. The end of hacking could come.

well I hope you guys enjoy your blackout because spanish wikipedia works.

note that is post was not made to offend you guys.

This is a great way to raise awareness and gain supporters, despite the fact that it is aggravating to those who want to read the website.

this whole thread

Slowpoke%20template.jpg

Lips said:
Wait hacking will be gone VICTORY

Not exactly. Not all people hack to cheat. There are also those who hack files from game ISOs, such as myself.

Back