An Annoying Problem

NintendoQueen said:
Magus said:
Just because it's tolerated doesn't mean that it's encouraged on every post in that board.
Person A: Oh I hate how there is so much randomness in Mindless Junk!!!
Person B: Well, it's tolerated, so it's okay!

My view? Change the name from Mindless Junk to something different (Like "Fun Stuff" or "Just for Fun" or whatever) so that people aren't under the impression to put spammy things in there. Just an idea.
It's one thing to make a thread with a purpose just designed to make a joke there (like the first advice thread), but to make purposeless posts wherever you'd like to simply because it's Mindless Junk is really missing the point. Mindless Junk isn't really a misnomer, but several people think its name entitles them to take their brains out before posting. There's a clear distinction between goofing off while not having to worry about topics or spamming as much and refusing to put any thought into any posts in the entire board.

Magus said:
NintendoQueen said:
Magus said:
Just because it's tolerated doesn't mean that it's encouraged on every post in that board.
Person A: Oh I hate how there is so much randomness in Mindless Junk!!!
Person B: Well, it's tolerated, so it's okay!

My view? Change the name from Mindless Junk to something different (Like "Fun Stuff" or "Just for Fun" or whatever) so that people aren't under the impression to put spammy things in there. Just an idea.
It's one thing to make a thread with a purpose just designed to make a joke there (like the first advice thread), but to make purposeless posts wherever you'd like to simply because it's Mindless Junk is really missing the point. Mindless Junk isn't really a misnomer, but several people think its name entitles them to take their brains out before posting. There's a clear distinction between goofing off while not having to worry about topics or spamming as much and refusing to put any thought into any posts in the entire board.

I definitely agree with this bold part. Their excuse is "Oh it's Mindless Junk! I can be as random and stupid as I want!" You really hit the nail on the head here, Bop.

Kirby said:
I disagree. The description of the Mindless Junk board is "The only forum where randomness and general idiocy is tolerated."
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=12608.0
This is not a place to spam. It's randomness and general idiocy, but they mean something like the randomness you'd find in one of Mason's comics, not just posting completely off-topic for the fun of it.
(No offense Mason.)

There are two different types of random, funny random and stupid random. The kind I hate is stupid random. This is the same random that the UnMario Wiki is composed of. I am against random, just not all of it.

Discord said:
Kirby said:
I disagree. The description of the Mindless Junk board is "The only forum where randomness and general idiocy is tolerated."
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=12608.0
This is not a place to spam. It's randomness and general idiocy, but they mean something like the randomness you'd find in one of Mason's comics, not just posting completely off-topic for the fun of it.
(No offense Mason.)

Yeah I don't understand ATTN threads ONE bit. If you want to tell someone something, simply PM them (but that is a whole 'nother story). Anyways, I do see a lot of threads like this: ATTN, "Fad" threads *meaning, one has been made->20 other ones like it are made*, or ones that receive a very limited amount of responses, and end up dying off.
I still love Bop's quote here: "Mindless Junk isn't really a misnomer, but several people think its name entitles them to take their brains out before posting." People enter into Mindless Junk with similar thoughts in their minds. OH DERP! Mindless Junk tolerates stupidity!? DERP!! DERP. Well, there is a such thing as being TOO random and stupid, people.
I'm not saying I never was random on there, but I am being more mindful when posting stuff there; people should see Mindless Junk as something to have fun in and crack jokes that aren't serious enough to be in Off Subject Discussion.
I wonder what the mods do think of this huge slew of literal junk in Mindless Junk.

Randomness should be taken with a grain of salt. A DERP a day keeps the doctor away. 30 derps and your really gonna tick of a large portion of the users here. I mean, one retarted post in the Click Here Post Here thread isn't going to kill anyone. But, please, don't abuse the liberty the MJ board gives you.

Final point: Thin line between being goofy and spamming.

Kirby said:

Like Nabber said, it means you can be silly, but you can't act like a fucking idiot by trying to imitate a sprinkler but instead of shooting out water, you shoot out a combination of vomit and horrible posts.

And like Banjo said, there's a line between goofy and stupid.

All I've got to say is that it is annoying how frequently a good MJ thread is derailed.

Also, fads.

Sharks Territory said:
Lately, it seems a lot of users are saying stupid, pointless shit simply because it's random. It's really not funny at all. I don't know what the fuck you're trying to accomplish by being random. Nobody likes it.

I happen to share this sentiment with an impressive number of other users who agree that this shit really needs to stop. These random people (they all know who they are) might want to try actually saying something that requires thought for once.

Discord once asked, "what fun is there in making sense?" Well, people will actually like you and you won't be considered by some an annoying shitstain on the carpet that is the Internet.

Basically, stop with all this stupid random stuff. Try actually saying something interesting, or if you have nothing to say, just don't post! It's that simple!
A la Mitt Romney, I'd like to make a $10,000 bet that Ralphie hates Family Guy.

Sharks Territory said:
I love Family Guy, are you kidding me?
But ralphfan don't you get it? Don't you see? Could Ralph Wiggum possibly be any more like what you are condeming? Take family guy for instance. 50+ totally random, nonsencial, iditiotic, RANDOM flashbacks/episode almost never in anyway related to the plot. But FUNNY. I think only I should be allowed to do it because when I do it I always tie it into the topic, it's always funny, and it's never too often. But how can you like Family Guy and make this topic? So you like it on your TV screen but not on your PC monitor's screen?

I don't really like Family Guy very much, but there's a massive difference between fictional characters being complete dumbasses and real human beings being complete dumbasses.

Crocodile Dippy said:
I don't really like Family Guy very much, but there's a massive difference between fictional characters being complete dumbasses and real human beings being complete dumbasses.

Yes, I do see where you are coming from. However, did these cartoon characters create the stupidity themselves? Who are the creators of these cartoons? Real people are. I'm not arguing with you DP, I'm just pointing this out. But maybe stupidity is tolerated more in the "cartoon world" than in the real life world, who knows.

A couple years back I was asked why I didnt go on Mindless Junk much, since its a place where it can be completely random.

It still is isn't it? If your looking for Thoughtful answers or responses, post it somewhere else instead of the place where you can say anything and get away with it.

I'm not looking for deep philosophical insights, just some sign that the poster's brain actually activated at all before or during the act of posting a reply.

Also, per Dippy.

Then ask that in a place where randomness isn't tolerated. it's and easily bypassed problem. Just post it in Off-Subject like this topic if you don't want to be attacked with brainless posts.

There's a difference between taking things slightly less seriously in one board and taking your brain out before posting. It's one thing to joke around without worrying about the topic of the board, another thing entirely to make posts or topics with no sense simply because you can.

That's not an excuse for anyone to act like a fucking moron.

You can just be a little more goofy in MJ.

And if people are taking the name of it that seriously, maybe the name should just get changed or something.

If everybody has a problem with a board that was pretty much made for people to be morons in then get rid of it. if your only allowed to be a little goofy, then we doesnt it specify it a bit better. People would take the name seriously because If I look at Marioverse I think "Board to talk about Mario" not "board that is a bit related to Mario but not completely.". It's just kind of common sense to be a dipshit in a board named mindless junk.

If you ask me, I'd rather the goofiness stay in that one board instead of being spread around the entire forum.

I don't really see why we need a mindless junk. I mean, removing it may help less spam.

I'm sure people could live without it.

And if you can't, then it proves you're only on this forum to use mindless junk

Back