My Toshiba laptop (with Windows Vista) is failing to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, some photos of my laptop for model information and etc..

http://imageshack.us/g/405/hni0082n.jpg/

Banjo said:
I don't know how you guy's feel about your computers, but I would do nothing short of CONTACT A PROFESSIONAL. I don't doubt you guys' knowledge, but it would be different if you were there firsthand. But your not. So it might not be too smart to fly in blind. I know a whole bunch of useless crap about computers, but nothing that could help. Again UM, JUST CALL SUPPORT. Take no chances with it. You could end up with a computer RUINED FOREVER.

I thought the same thing. You can always contact Best Buy's Geek Squad or a trusted person/company who can fix computers. UM, I don't know you just won't do that. You keep making a big deal about your laptop not getting fixed--well, just take it in to get fixed. That way you won't have to worry anymore! Trust me, my home computer has had it's (UN)fair share of viruses, so we take it in to get it fixed--because there is no way I could do it myself.

You guys keep saying contact a pro or take it in to get fixed. Do you know if UM has money to pay for it? Here's an example: If a PS3 gets the Yellow Light of Death (YLOD), you could buy a new PS3 for $300, send it to Sony to fix for $200, or you could fix it yourself for $50. I don't know if you can fix this yourself, or how much it would cost for someone else to fix, but I say you either fix it yourself or buy a new laptop.

MarioMaster15 said:
You guys keep saying contact a pro or take it in to get fixed. Do you know if UM has money to pay for it? Here's an example: If a PS3 gets the Yellow Light of Death (YLOD), you could buy a new PS3 for $300, send it to Sony to fix for $200, or you could fix it yourself for $50. I don't know if you can fix this yourself, or how much it would cost for someone else to fix, but I say you either fix it yourself or buy a new laptop.

A new laptop would be the same, if not, more, than having someone fix your computer. Just saying. Plus, it doesn't hurt to try to get it fixed. But oh well, UM is going to do what he wants anyways.

NintendoQueen said:
MarioMaster15 said:
I should say if something breaks, it will probably break again short after "fixing it".

Not if you're careful.
Wouldn't you feel safer with a new item with no problems, than with a recently "fixed" item that might still have problems?

http://imageshack.us/g/337/hni0096.jpg/

So I have to get an empty CD or something to use as a backup location to move my files to so I can have them after my computer is restored?

No, that's trying to restore a backup of your hard drive off a CD. If you've made backup CDs before this happened you use those, if not that won't work.

Well, in that case, what should I do? Delete all memory? (All I'd have to redownload is Firefox, GIMP, Paint.net, and a couple of images.

I remember I was at Staples a while ago and they had this USB to USB cable that you could probably use to hook your computer up to another one and pull some files off, but I didn't buy it so I'm not sure if it works like that. You might also be able to reinstall Windows on a separate partition of your hard drive if there's enough room and keep all of your old files nice and safe but again I can't say out of experience that it works like that.

I might also be completely missing the problem here so you shouldn't go buying a new copy of Windows or USB jumper cables until someone with some know-how checks it out in person.

Ok, well, I don't have any important files, so I guess I minus well just wipe all my files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back