My Toshiba laptop (with Windows Vista) is failing to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Title said:
well, there's your problem

Now on the serious side:

Pinkie Pie said:
I think it's the hard drive that's causing this. I dropped my laptop the other day. Should I take it out and put it back in?
Dropped your laptop? That's can't be good. Also, I don't think reinserting the hard rive would really do much. If anything, you could potentially lose your files if you're not careful.

If you have any relatives or people you know that are really computer-savvy, you could ask them for help too.

This is a relatively tech-savvy solution but if you had enough space left on your hard drive before all this happened you could make an Ubuntu boot disc and install Ubuntu on a separate partition temporary to at least recover some files.

I know that's a mouthfull but I've done it myself and the whole process is very user-friendly if you can get it started.

Herr Shyguy said:
This is a relatively tech-savvy solution but if you had enough space left on your hard drive before all this happened you could make an Ubuntu boot disc and install Ubuntu on a separate partition temporary to at least recover some files.

I know that's a mouthfull but I've done it myself and the whole process is very user-friendly if you can get it started.
So that'll fix my Windows Startup?

Probably not in all honesty, you might need to reinstall Windows. That will let you access all the files that you might potentially lose though. At least it should.

I know it's not a particularly realistic solution for our userbase, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Isn't there a Customer Support or something you can call?

I don't know how you guy's feel about your computers, but I would do nothing short of CONTACT A PROFESSIONAL. I don't doubt you guys' knowledge, but it would be different if you were there firsthand. But your not. So it might not be too smart to fly in blind. I know a whole bunch of useless crap about computers, but nothing that could help. Again UM, JUST CALL SUPPORT. Take no chances with it. You could end up with a computer RUINED FOREVER.

From a website.
Take pics if anything changes.
My Laptop Won't Boot Properly

Start the computer in "Safe Mode" or use the "Recovery Console" if your laptop is able to get past the initial start-up phase when you turn it on, but does not get much further than that. Doing this will allow you to get to your main screen, but you will have limited access to certain drivers and start-up programs.

Run "ScanDisk" and other diagnostic tools to see if your can computer find what the problem is and repair it on its own, as the Indiana University's website recommends.

Run a virus scan to see if there are any intrusions causing the problem

I'd like to add that on some occasions, it costs more to repair a computer than get a new one. Not sure about anyone's economic situation or anything, but if you contact a professional and they say it'll cost a ridiculous amount of money to repair it, that's when it's good to look at buying a new one.

The best thing to do if you have a broken Lapton is to buy a new one. Simple.

Well, my family is pretty much broke, so I guess I'm screwed. Otherwise, here's screenshots of what happened for reference:

http://imageshack.us/g/839/hni0071m.jpg/

I doubt you'll need to buy a new computer, at the worst you might need to buy a new OS. Did you get your computer back when they'd give you recovery discs with them? Cause they stopped doing that recently but it was really helpful when stuff like this happened on my old computer.

Herr Shyguy said:
I doubt you'll need to buy a new computer, at the worst you might need to buy a new OS. Did you get your computer back when they'd give you recovery discs with them? Cause they stopped doing that recently but it was really helpful when stuff like this happened on my old computer.
Well, I received this laptop from my uncle recently as a gift. I think it's from 2009 or 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back