Mario Should Have More Dialog

I believe the character you play as should be silent but the characters around you should talk.

In a game where Mario isn't the star I'd like to see him speak.

it's when Mario is the player of most RPG and main games, I guess it will be resolved when other characters are playable :P.

except RPG, I think he can still talk a litte with other people when not playing.
basically it's owing to that players do only have to know the "instructions" from other people.

Mario should not have more dialog.

Isn't Mario's personality slowly being established through other characters and games anyway? Mario is almost a celebrity in the Mushroom kingdom, is always willing to help others, very brave, very capable, and is very friendly (allowing his nemisis to go karting with him :P).

I actually like Mario not speaking. The same kind of thing is in the Metroid games and Grand Theft Auto III. Even though Mario did speak a whole interview in that Mario Sports Mix interview video, it's still pretty cool seeing him speechless.

I don't really like how silent Mario is, honestly. He is fully capable of speaking in full sentences, why not?

Nega-Man said:
I actually like Mario not speaking. The same kind of thing is in the Metroid games and Grand Theft Auto III. Even though Mario did speak a whole interview in that Mario Sports Mix interview video, it's still pretty cool seeing him speechless.

What's your opinion of Other M?

I personally think it's funnier for Mario to speak gibberish or to gesture and grunt and be interpreted by other characters.

Mario4Ever said:
Nega-Man said:

I should have been more specific. In all METROID PRIME games, she doesn't talk.

Nega-Man said:
Mario4Ever said:
Nega-Man said:

I should have been more specific. In all METROID PRIME games, she doesn't talk.
Of course, when she talks in the Manga, it's pretty epic...

Cell said:
I think it's fine. I like how in the M&L series, he speaks Italian gibberish. Just leave it the way it it. The playable pokemon trainer character doesn't talk and thats fine.
Yeah, the Italian gibberish is the best. I think that should be the way the bros. should talk in most games, but Mario without dialogue is okay in my opinion.

Cell said:
Lord Ghirahim said:
I prefer silent protagonists 99% of the time. However, in a really good JRPG, a talking protagonist can be a powerful weapon, but it takes a high amount of precision to make a character I feel like playing as and still have good dialogue. Two developers good at this are Square Enix and Gamevil (Korean iOS dev), although the former prefers to use battle elements while the latter tends to overuse comic relief.

In Nintendo games, I prefer the silent protagonist as it connects with me better, especially Link and Samus.
I agree. But like I said above. It's cool to have Mario saying a bunch of gibberish. I also enjoy silent protagonists (Mario, Pokemon Trainer, Link, many more)
I agree and love Mario talking gibberish. Either way, I think Mario is perfectly fine the way he is, in fact, this is one of the reason's he's my favorite video game character of all time.

Mijzelffan said:
Isn't Mario's personality slowly being established through other characters and games anyway? Mario is almost a celebrity in the Mushroom kingdom, is always willing to help others, very brave, very capable, and is very friendly (allowing his nemisis to go karting with him :P).

Agreed.

I think Mario is good the way he is.

Back