Things that remind you that you're getting older/out of touch with the present

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Mario4Ever
Self-explanatory...just list/discuss observations that remind you of your increasing age or your getting out of touch with the present. Ok, so I just saw a commercial for Kids Bop 21 (remember when they were in single digits, or better yet, when there was only one, or even better yet, when they didn't exist?), and I didn't recognize a single song in the commercial.

I'm still in touch with gaming, and I keep up with music alright despite hating almost all modern music. What does make me feel out of the loop is movies; I never know anything about the latest releases or when they've been released in theatres or DVD or anything like that.

I don't think I was ever in touch with 'the present' in the sense you use the word.

Being in touch with the present makes me feel older.
I mean, we've got machines that do 3D without glasses for 170 dollars.

I remember when VCRs were around.

i know that's not that long ago but i'm not that old

Mario4Ever said:
Self-explanatory...just list/discuss observations that remind you of your increasing age or your getting out of touch with the present. Ok, so I just saw a commercial for Kids Bop 21 (remember when they were in single digits, or better yet, when there was only one, or even better yet, when they didn't exist?), and I didn't recognize a single song in the commercial.
Let's not forget how the songs you hear them sing in the commercials are really horrible.

I remember when the US' Public Broadcasting Service was capable of producing shows for younger kids that didn't suck...

Lord Ghirahim said:
Mario4Ever said:
Let's not forget how the songs you hear them sing in the commercials are really horrible.

I remember when the US' Public Broadcasting Service was capable of producing shows for younger kids that didn't suck...
*cough**cough*Toonzai*cough**cough*

Remember when Kidz Boo was... Um... Not horrible? Remember when songs on the radio lasted more than two minutes? Or when the verses were actually longer than the chorus, the whole song was sung by one person?
Yeah, I hate music today. But it didn't help that I was in a camp where the boys brought their iPods. And played every rap song you've never heard of.
All day long.

GLaDOS said:
Remember when Kidz Boo was... Um... Not horrible? Remember when songs on the radio lasted more than two minutes? Or when the verses were actually longer than the chorus, the whole song was sung by one person?
Yeah, I hate music today. But it didn't help that I was in a camp where the boys brought their iPods. And played every rap song you've never heard of.
All day long.
I agree. On a field trip to Atlanta (far away) while evryone was listening to rap on their ipods, I was listening to Bruce Springsteen on my portable CD player. Everyone thought I had no taste in music.

Oh yes: "You don't have a flat screen TV or an iPod? You're so weird."

And I also remember when I was little and every time I hanged out with someone our parents would buy us Munchkins.
I miss those days.
Even though I now call them Munchkin Meat...

I remember back when having a dial-up internet connection was not only widespread but acceptable.

GLaDOS said:

I'm not sure why you'd give a fuck about that.

It just kind of ticks me off that artists these days don't seem to be putting a lot of effort into their music.

I don't have an iPod or whatnot. I guess I have a smartphone, but not really, because it's not smart enough to avoid turning on in the middle of class, twice in a day. Thankfully, I don't recieve criticism for not owning an iAnything. It's not like I don't want one, though.

Messed Up Freakshow of Cryptic Sarcasm said:
Twenty years from now, people will be saying that about the music of 2030, and twenty years ago, people were saying that about the music of 1990.
Indeed that's true.

The only things I'm really "out of touch with the present" is the Apple technology (iPad, iPhone, etc.), most aspects of pop-culture (movies, songs, etc. other than video games), and some other stuff I do not know about.

I only appear to be out of touch with what everyone likes in school nowadays. They only talk about CoD rather than some other good games, but it's nothing to rant over unlike some other people.

*cough*MCSoulja*cough*

I don't know what's the big deal with fashion. I really don't care what's in fashion or not, but it's not like I'm going to wear outdated clothes. No, I wear jeans, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes, not some awkward high heels, skinny jeans, make-up, perfume, corsets, painted fingernails, etc. I own only 2 pairs of shoes, one for dress and one for everything else. I don't know why people need to own 9 pairs or wear 1 shirt once in a lifetime.

GLaDOS said:
And I also remember when I was little and every time I hanged out with someone our parents would buy us Munchkins.
I miss those days.
Even though I now call them Munchkin Meat...
You know they still have Munchkins, right? This isn't something that you're out of touch with the kids for wanting. Kids still eat Munchkins.

Ornithologist Mario said:
I don't know what's the big deal with fashion. I really don't care what's in fashion or not, but it's not like I'm going to wear outdated clothes. No, I wear jeans, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes, not some awkward high heels, skinny jeans, make-up, perfume, corsets, painted fingernails, etc. I own only 2 pairs of shoes, one for dress and one for everything else. I don't know why people need to own 9 pairs or wear 1 shirt once in a lifetime.

I own two pairs of shoes per year. One person thought I was poor. I looked at them and said

"There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on your Michael Jordan shoes when you can go to a random shoes store and pay 20 bucks for a pair of sneakers.

What makes me feel old?

When kids don't have SNES or NES or N64. Also, they think the Xbox is the greatest gaming system! WRONG.
Boy bands were around and were popular.
10 year olds didn't have cellphones or iPods.

GalacticPetey said:

I own two pairs of shoes per year. One person thought I was poor. I looked at them and said

"There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on your Michael Jordan shoes when you can go to a random shoes store and pay 20 bucks for a pair of sneakers.

Exactly. I doesn't matter if it costs two hundred dollars. In the end of the day, it's still a shoe that protects your feet when you're walking. A $20 pair of shoes accomplishes the same feat.

GalacticPetey said:

Exactly. I doesn't matter if it costs two hundred dollars. In the end of the day, it's still a shoe that protects your feet when you're walking. A $20 pair of shoes accomplishes the same feat.
Glad to see someone sees where I'm coming from.

Back