Mariowiki / Userpedia deviantART Group idea

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
So, I just had the spontaneous idea for having a dA Group for all of the Users here on MW and UP who have a dA account. I don't really expect it to be overflowing with activity and everything; just a place for people to get together and find their friends from MW/UP on dA and share artwork. I'd probably just set up a few folders for Mario-related artwork, but I wouldn't be opposed to sharing any other sort of artwork, either. My main plan is just to have it be a hub to find people you may know and enjoy their artwork, as well as possibly serve as a bit of a discussion ground for things that might not necessarily be too fitting on here.

This is just in the 'spontaneous idea' phase and I'll be open to suggestions before I go ahead and make this Group. Please let me know if you think this is a good/bad idea, or have any sort of input on it. I personally have no experience with managing dA Groups, so if anyone here does, that would be fantastic for you to help!

If this is still an idea, I'm cool with it. I dont exactly have much any of my own artwork, but I'm always up for an easier way to see my friends artworks.

Once I get a graphic design tablet and remember my password I'll be joining this. Can I get a link?

Detective Dick Gumshoe said:
Once I get a graphic design tablet and remember my password I'll be joining this. Can I get a link?

I didn't make it yet since the interest level didn't seem too high. It's not out-of-question, though, I'll still be willing to make it eventually.

I just made this group today:

http://mariowiki.deviantart.com/

With your guys's help, we can definitely make this better and hopefully have more people joining. I'm still adding stuff to it as I make this post, so it looks really empty at the moment. It could use some deviations and maybe a co-founder or two.

MCS said:
I just made this group today:

http://mariowiki.deviantart.com/

With your guys's help, we can definitely make this better and hopefully have more people joining. I'm still adding stuff to it as I make this post, so it looks really empty at the moment. It could use some deviations and maybe a co-founder or two.

Sent a request

Whoo-hoo I'm a co-founder for some reason

Baby Luigi said:
Whoo-hoo I'm a co-founder for some reason

Yup. And no, that wasn't a mistake. I'm making a few select users co-founders, and if any of the mods have deviantARTs, I'll obviously make them co-founder as well if they join. And if Hypnotoad joins this group, I've decided to make him co-founder as well since he was the one who proposed this idea in the first place.

New Super Mario said:
MCS said:
Is this you?

http://www.newsupermario.deviantart.com/
Dude, that says jose on it.

I'm pretty sure my name is like NewSuperMario22 or something. I'm really not sure, but you can search for that, maybe.

Eeyup, found ya:

http://www.newsupermario22.deviantart.com/

Argh, why is the default option for members NOT submitting art? Isn't the whole point of a group to get people together to submit their art! Ugh!

Luckily I fixed it.

Yeah but I had to fix it....I don't think there's like a single group out there where regular members couldn't submit their deviations ON PURPOSE.

Besides, it ruins the whole purpose of the idea: to mix several of our users' art together so we don't have to go searching all over dA for some artwork from MarioWiki

I didn't realize that setting and I had to fix it, so I looked it up on Help and there is was :|

thnx

Any other suggestions to make the MarioWiki page look pretty flashy and not bare? :p

Think we should add Userpedia as a link to the group info?

Baby Luigi said:
thnx

Any other suggestions to make the MarioWiki page look pretty flashy and not bare? :p

Think we should add Userpedia as a link to the group info?

Well, I mean, this is the MarioWiki group, not the Userpedia group. Personally, I think we should make a separate group for Userpedia, but I honestly don't want to make it since this group is already a lot to manage

Baby Luigi said:

Well my suggestion is that to make it flashy you should make it not literally flashy. Remove all of the plz accounts and blinking images because it makes the page look a bit cheap and uhhhhhh childish? Set up more things for various types of art types or themes or something and have those on the page in focus at the top.

I also think there's an option to make discussion threads or something like that. Perhaps do something about that.

MCS said:
Well, I mean, this is the MarioWiki group, not the Userpedia group. Personally, I think we should make a separate group for Userpedia, but I honestly don't want to make it since this group is already a lot to manage

Well my idea for this was not to literally be a Mariowiki group or Userpedia group or even a page strictly for Mario artwork. My idea was to have the people from this community and not an extension of the wikis. I would rather there not be a userpedia group made and I would even more greatly be the one who made it if it ever were to be made. And even then, everyone on UP is also in MW, sooooo yeah.

Take a look at what other groups do. Try to not just blatantly copy them and look at what's working and what isn't. If you don't know how deviantART functions it would be best to not control the group at all. If you want to control the group, it would be a good idea to get a feel for how things work before diving in to getting a ton of people to join. I really have no idea if there's a way to transfer ownership or anything like that, but perhaps some foresight could've been used and like...asked if people wanted this before you jumped into it. Successful groups are active and spur further activity, rather than just hoarding as many artworks as possible. Good luck with whatever goes on with it and I may join it depending on how everything worked out.

Back