Bowser and final game?

RandomGuy said:
There's also a hole in the NSMBW being the last game. 1.Kamek could have just revived him. 2. Considering how Boom Boom and Pom Pom were in Super Mario 3D Land, they could have just revived him.

The games aren't really linked by story at all.

First of all, Ghostkaiba, don't triple-post.

Also, in SPM, Bowser only joined Mario because he wanted to take the kingdom for himself, and couldn't if Bleck/Dimentio destroyed it. So no, he was never "good" in SPM, he just formed a temporary truce with the Mushroom Kingdom to fight off a common enemy.

Toad85 said:
Also, in SPM, Bowser only joined Mario because he wanted to take the kingdom for himself, and couldn't if Bleck/Dimentio destroyed it. So no, he was never "good" in SPM, he just formed a temporary truce with the Mushroom Kingdom to fight off a common enemy.

Yes, I understand that, and he made clear this was still his only intention right before entering Castle Bleck. But my point is, why didn't he turn on Mario after they saved the worlds? I mean, once Smithy was defeated in Super Mario RPG, Bowser only didn't attack Mario because repairing his castle was his first priority, and as soon as he was all set to launch his attack in Super Mario 64, he did. But after Dimentio is defeated and The Void is closed, Bowser doesn't turn on Mario. You expect him to immediately return to his evil ways as he did in Bowser's Inside Story (although admittedly he didn't even technically join Mario in that game, he fought Fawful of his own accord and not knowing Mario was helping him)

Now, some may assume that upon return to the Mushroom Kingdom, he would gather his minions and get ready for his next attack (which could potentially be Galaxy or NSMBW). However, when Mario returns to Flipside from the Mushroom Kingdom, after what Merlon says is a long time, Bowser is still with them, and the fact that he remains with Mario, Peach, and Luigi so long after Bleck and Dimentio's threats (which are, after all, the only reason he joined Mario in the first place) are ended raises a few questions. If there was a turning point, my guess would be the fight with O'Chunks. I suppose the reasons for his near-sacrifice could be explained in that he might've thought he could be revived by his minions once the others saved the worlds, but then there was him trying to save O'Chunks from being crushed, arguing with him over who should go and who should hold the ceiling up...

Or maybe, it doesn't really matter and we should just enjoy the games!

Really, who plays a Mario game for its story. You play it for Enoyment.

Natsu "Salamander" Dragneel said:
Or maybe, it doesn't really matter and we should just enjoy the games!

Really, who plays a Mario game for its story. You play it for Enoyment.

I guess you're right, I never really tried to connect them until Bowser killed Kamek in NSMBW and something just made me try to connect them, as strange as that sounds. It's not like Sonic, which explicitly tries to connect to each other and makes direct reference even in the sidescrollers (although a few Mario games do this too)

What I was saying was, if they were all to form one story, which "ending" would make the most sense? (Although I would exclude the Mario Party, Strikers, Mario and Sonic Olympics, Super Smash, Mario Kart, etc. from it, although it's implied by Luigi in TT-YD that the characters have done Kart races)

Ghostkaiba297 said:
Toad85 said:

Yes, I understand that, and he made clear this was still his only intention right before entering Castle Bleck. But my point is, why didn't he turn on Mario after they saved the worlds? I mean, once Smithy was defeated in Super Mario RPG, Bowser only didn't attack Mario because repairing his castle was his first priority, and as soon as he was all set to launch his attack in Super Mario 64, he did. But after Dimentio is defeated and The Void is closed, Bowser doesn't turn on Mario. You expect him to immediately return to his evil ways as he did in Bowser's Inside Story (although admittedly he didn't even technically join Mario in that game, he fought Fawful of his own accord and not knowing Mario was helping him)

Now, some may assume that upon return to the Mushroom Kingdom, he would gather his minions and get ready for his next attack (which could potentially be Galaxy or NSMBW). However, when Mario returns to Flipside from the Mushroom Kingdom, after what Merlon says is a long time, Bowser is still with them, and the fact that he remains with Mario, Peach, and Luigi so long after Bleck and Dimentio's threats (which are, after all, the only reason he joined Mario in the first place) are ended raises a few questions. If there was a turning point, my guess would be the fight with O'Chunks. I suppose the reasons for his near-sacrifice could be explained in that he might've thought he could be revived by his minions once the others saved the worlds, but then there was him trying to save O'Chunks from being crushed, arguing with him over who should go and who should hold the ceiling up...
The thing is, I don't really think the postgame counts as the same level of "canon" if that makes sense. Consider TTYD: Everyone got a seperate bit of the ending and went off to do their own thing, yet none of that comes up once you get back to Rogueport. So I would apply the same deal to SPM.

There probably won't be a final game. At least, not unless something happens to Nintendo in the future. Anyway, the Mario Universe doesn't really have a timeline, but some games do have some relationships with each other.

For one theory, New Super Mario Bros. Wii could be the precursor to Super Mario Galaxy 2, as when Bowser became giant-sized in the final fight, that may have inspired him to conquer the universe as a giant.

I think Nintendo just likes the idea of giant bowser in general, he was giant in sunshine and party 9 and stuff too.

alright i'm confused

Who really cares what the chronology of the Mario games is? And what do New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Paper Mario have anything to do with one another?

Alright, for argument's sake, I'm just going to say that I thought each miniseries within the Mario series was sort of like its own separate timeline. By that, I mean that the Paper Mario series was on one timeline (from PM to TTYD to SPM) and the 2D sidescrollers were on another (SMB to SMB2 (JPN) to SMB2 (USA) to SMB3 to SMW to NSMB to NSMBW).

Mariomario64 said:
alright i'm confused

Who really cares what the chronology of the Mario games is? And what do New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Paper Mario have anything to do with one another?

Alright, for argument's sake, I'm just going to say that I thought each miniseries within the Mario series was sort of like its own separate timeline. By that, I mean that the Paper Mario series was on one timeline (from PM to TTYD to SPM) and the 2D sidescrollers were on another (SMB to SMB2 (JPN) to SMB2 (USA) to SMB3 to SMW to NSMB to NSMBW).

Nobody should care, that's the problem. Like I said, nobody plays Mario games for their story. Or atleast their chronological story.

Back