What thing from your childhood did Hollywood ruin.

No one cares about fucking Godzilla.

A lot care about Dragon Ball Z.

And everybody hates the SMB movie.

Except MM64.

Eragon counts, right?

Oh okay then. The Eragon movie omitted an entire race (dwarves) that was present in all four books and very awesome in the first and last books. It cast just about everyone except Brom horribly and had atrocious screenplay. Its most memorable lines ("I suffer without my stone!") only came through how horrific they were. Eragon was annoying somewhat in the books, but was horrible in the movie like nothing I've seen in a long time. They killed off major protagonists that appeared in two later books, and the final battle took place in the location and way that were least like those described in the book possible. I hate that movie with a deep passion.

Fantastic. Four.

Not so much the main characters, but my favorite villain in any form of fiction, Doctor Doom.

Alvin and the *bleep*ing Chipmunks.

God, I hate that movie. Especially the "squeakquel." I see no reason to watch Hollywood butcher it a third time.

And to think it was such a good cartoon back in the days. Such a shame.

Harry Potter from the Goblet of Fire onward

Mario4Ever said:
Goblet of Fire is the low point imo; they got better from there until the most recent, which is done very well.

I definitely agree with the Eragon movie (although it wasn't really from my childhood).

I didn't realize how horrible the Sailor Moon dub that I watched on Cartoon Network as a littlun was until I watched the actual Japanese original. Then I felt like punching Cloverway in the face. I lost many TV hours of my childhood to that crap.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Mario4Ever said:
Goblet of Fire is the low point imo; they got better from there until the most recent, which is done very well.

The last two HP movies were *bleep*ing awesome.

Azkaban and Goblet of Fire were the worst, since Azkaban removed everything that made the book version so awesome, and Goblet of Fire cut out so much the plot was incomprehensible.

Moody was great though, as was Lupin.

Scarecrow von Steuben said:
Lord Ghirahim said:
Mario4Ever said:

Azkaban and Goblet of Fire were the worst, since Azkaban removed everything that made the book version so awesome, and Goblet of Fire cut out so much the plot was incomprehensible.

Moody and Lupin were excellent. They fucked up Voldemort terribly, though, and cutting out entire rooms of the Department of Mysteries in Order of the Phoenix pissed me off. I will admit that the movies got better after Goblet of Fire, but I didn't enjoy them as much as the first two in terms of how well they adhered to the books.

Mario4Ever said:
Scarecrow von Steuben said:
Lord Ghirahim said:
Mario4Ever said:

Moody and Lupin were excellent. They *bleep*ed up Voldemort terribly, though, and cutting out entire rooms of the Department of Mysteries in Order of the Phoenix pissed me off. I will admit that the movies got better after Goblet of Fire, but I didn't enjoy them as much as the first two in terms of how well they adhered to the books.

The Department of Mysteries was the least important thing they cut out of Order, and how did they fuck up Voldemort? He was quite creepy and fairly accurate to how the books depicted him.

The first two I really enjoyed a few years ago, but they haven't aged well, at least not nearly as well as the book versions of them.

"Whiter than a skull, with wide, livid scarlet eyes and a nose that was flat as a snake's with slits for nostrils...[next chapter]his hands were like large, pale spiders...the red eyes, whose pupils were slits, like a cat's, gleamed still more brightly through the darkness."

He also doesn't make a big fucking deal about being able to touch Harry:

"'I can touch him now'...Voldemort laughed softly in his ear...." (in other words, no "I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!")

How the Grinch Stole Christmas would be a start. The original 1966 animated special is overall, much better than that live-action version.

MnSG said:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas would be a start. The original 1966 animated special is overall, much better than that live-action version.

Yeah, that backstory was a bit much, IMO. However, I think Carrey filled the Grinch's shoes quite well.

The Cat in the Hat is probably another thing that Hollywood pretty much messed up. When making Dr. Seuss stories into movies, live-action really isn't the best way to go. At least making Horton Hears a Who into a computer animated movie worked out.

Mario4Ever said:
"Whiter than a skull, with wide, livid scarlet eyes and a nose that was flat as a snake's with slits for nostrils...[next chapter]his hands were like large, pale spiders...the red eyes, whose pupils were slits, like a cat's, gleamed still more brightly through the darkness."

He also doesn't make a big *bleep*ing deal about being able to touch Harry:

"'I can touch him now'...Voldemort laughed softly in his ear...." (in other words, no "I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!")

oh my gosh look at those miniscule differences harry potter is ruined forever

Back