Crikey! Obama's getting croc insurance!

"sticky wicket" is British, mate. And honestly, I have almost never heard anyone say "Crikey" down here.

While we're on the subject of Obama being in Australia, he and our PM Julia Gillard have agreed to station American troops in Darwin, Northern Territory due to concerns over China (mostly) and the "radicals" in Indonesia. Whether this is a smart move or not is a matter of opinion.

Also last I checked, leader of the Greens Party Bob Brown is demanding to meet with Barack Obama. Which should be funny, seeing as the Greens hate America.

Sticky wicket's apparently been used in The Age (Melbourne). As for "crikey," Steve Irwin was my only justification for using it. Eh, I "gave it a burl." (I'll stop now)

Ned Kelly said:
Also last I checked, leader of the Greens Party Bob Brown is demanding to meet with Barack Obama. Which should be funny, seeing as the Greens hate America.

Who doesn't hate America these days?

Mario4Ever said:
Sticky wicket's apparently been used in The Age (Melbourne).
Not surprised; we have a large British population down here.

Mario4Ever said:
I don't hate America...! I just find it a tad annoying how self-absorbed they tend to be.

that's right, I went there

Ned Kelly said:
Mario4Ever said:
I don't hate America...! I just find it a tad annoying how self-absorbed they tend to be.

that's right, I went there

original.jpg

There's a difference between being a country that is naturally patriotic and proud of their heritage, and being a country that is so stuck-up elitist that they see the whole world as their playground or something. I am proud to be an American, because I believe that America is a great place to live. I also agree with a lot of the whole Olympics theme they always try to overuse stating that we all come together and all that stuff. However, I believe the Democratic Party in America has been downplaying American ideals so much that it's turned from "Let's be proud of our heritage, and learn the great things about other countries' heritages" to "Let's make other countries feel good about themselves by acting like we're just a run-of-the-mill country with nothing special". That being said, I hope Obama doesn't give any Australians the same gift he gave the Queen of England (an iPod loaded with pictures of himself).

Bop1996 said:
There's a difference between being a country that is naturally patriotic and proud of their heritage, and being a country that is so stuck-up elitist that they see the whole world as their playground or something. I am proud to be an American, because I believe that America is a great place to live. I also agree with a lot of the whole Olympics theme they always try to overuse stating that we all come together and all that stuff. However, I believe the Democratic Party in America has been downplaying American ideals so much that it's turned from "Let's be proud of our heritage, and learn the great things about other countries' heritages" to "Let's make other countries feel good about themselves by acting like we're just a run-of-the-mill country with nothing special". That being said, I hope Obama doesn't give any Australians the same gift he gave the Queen of England (an iPod loaded with pictures of himself).

Don't start blaming the decline of American ideals on a single party. The GOP's not done much better historically.

^Definitely agree. I'm not going to go into detail what they (the GOP) did I did not approve, because there are people that are bound to disagree with me.

I used to be really against Democrats. I would blame everything on them. Then I saw how cruddy some Republicans are. Now my sympathies lie with the TEA Party.

That's right I went there.

Mario4Ever said:
As for "crikey," Steve Irwin was my only justification for using it.

I'm not sure if he's such a good example, as he's an American. He just tried using a stereotypical Australian accent. I haven't really met anyone who used that word.

What? He was born in Essendon, mate; right here in Melbourne. You're thinking of Terri Irwin, who was born in Oregon.

You're right that Steve did ham it up a bit, but he was still as Australian as you or me.

Ned Kelly said:
What? He was born in Essendon, mate; right here in Melbourne. You're thinking of Terri Irwin, who was born in Oregon.

You're right that Steve did ham it up a bit, but he was still as Australian as you or me.

Oh, nevermind then. I always thought he was American. Guess I was always wrong. But he still did over-do the accent.

Mario4Ever said:
Bop1996 said:

Don't start blaming the decline of American ideals on a single party. The GOP's not done much better historically.

Ornithologist Mario said:
^Definitely agree. I'm not going to go into detail what they (the GOP) did I did not approve, because there are people that are bound to disagree with me.
Unfortunately, that is true, as is most things, in that the GOP and Democrats often argue only about the speed, and seldom the direction, the country is going. However, the past few years have shown a significant increase in that sort of stuff, and this isn't exactly an ideal development (just research what NASA is supposedly for now and you'll see what I mean).

Back