How did you first like Mario?

Man, I didn't even give a dang about the Mario series until about...say, 2008 (yeah, the year I signed up to these forums) when I was 16. Before then, the most I knew about the franchise was that it was fronted by a plumber and that it had a very cute dinosaur (Yoshi!) which I adored despite my apathy. I eventually started to do some research and bought some of the spin-off Gamecube titles to get a grip on things better. It was around then that I latched on to a different character, Bowser Jr, and went in a direction that's more familiar.

Here's the thing. I was playing Mario games since I was four but I wasn't the avid Mario fan until Paper Mario came out.

Paper Mario allowed me to get immersed in Mario's world. (I had not played Mario RPG yet) after that I had to play every Mario game that I had missed out on over the years. I enriched myself in his beautiful world and wondrous characters.

This eventually lead me to love his expanded universe with Wario and Donkey Kong.

Before Paper Mario I was more obsessed with Pokemon.

Sure Super Mario Bros. 3 was my first video game but I was too little to appreciate that game. I thought video games were fun and all but I wasn't this huge fan of them until Pokemon. Pokemon unlocked my inner nerd made me obsessive with video games. Mario was next and then Nintendo as a whole became my obsession!

I met Mario in front of a McDonald's. We ordered Cokes, discussed philosophy, religion, and politics, and shared our individual interests in terms of hobbies, reading material, and writing ability, among other forms of small talk. I remember that he was pissed at being "voiced" by Charles Martinet. Mario told me that he actually voices Martinet, but he lets everybody else think it's the other way around because Miyamoto won't pay him (their relationship is more complicated than you know or need to know)...that and it gives Mario an excuse to do whatever he wants without reprisal, since he doesn't exist as far as the government is concerned.

OR...I had an SNES and Super Mario World. We hit it off from there.

I remember when I played multiplayer on Mario Kart DS the first time and I had to be Pink Shy Guy.

I first played a Mario game at my neighbour's house where he had SMB and SMB3 on his NES. That's how I got to like platforming games.

Two years later when I started school I went over to my new friend's house where I played Mario Kart 64 on his N64. And, despite I kept losing, I thought it was an awesome game.

Two years later I got a DS lite, and ten months after that I got Mario Kart DS, and I became addicted to it straight away. While I don't play Mario Kart DS a lot any more, considering that 3DSs can't play old copies of MKDS and most of the buttons on my DS lite are stuffed, I have liked Mario games ever since.

My friends' NES and N64 have been broken, so I got those three games on Virtual Console ;)

I have an old MKDS and it works perfectly fine on a 3DS, so when you say the 3DS doesnt play old MKDS games, that would mean that somethings wrong with your cartridge and/or 3DS.

Crackin355 said:
I have an old MKDS and it works perfectly fine on a 3DS, so when you say the 3DS doesnt play old MKDS games, that would mean that somethings wrong with your cartridge and/or 3DS.

My copy is seriously old, I got it two years before the DSi came out, and all Rumble Pak compatible games made before the release of the DSi don't work on DSis or 3DSs.

You may be right about how there's a problem with the cartridge. It makes an annoying scratching noise when I put it in my DS lite.

My copy is maybe 3 years older than the DSi. It works fine so it probably might be the cartridge.

Mario Kart DS was one of the few games that my friends all had. We used to play it on the bus. One time, some other people brought their DS's on the bus to school and we played 8-Player. Only the 8 levels but it was really fun. Of course, me and my friend who have had it since we got our regular DS's were way ahead of the pack. I won most of the time though, since I tend to be more of a better gamer than him because he's also a sporty, less lazy type. Playing on Cheep Cheep Beach, driving past everybody while drifting around the corner made me feel super good.

I still remember when a cousin brought a Super Nintendo to my grandma's house, they were playing Super Mario World. Although I've already played others games before (I had a newly purchased Mega Drive at the time), that game was so fun, so unique, it catch me up, I remember playing it the rest of the night (can't get through that first Haunted House :P) So my mother had to buy a SNES for me, despite having just bought a Mega Drive... man, she was mad at me ;D

I don't even remember NOT caring or liking Mario.

I remember loving Mario when I was five (I remember that picture of myself holding a Mario plush while my family was visiting France, when I was five).

Back