Dillon's Rolling Western

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
The Rolling Western. AKA, the unspoken Nintendo game of 2011 E3.

I'm having a heard time finding information about this game... It seems everyone else is more focused on pre-established franchises to care about anything new. I guess that's kind of the sad truth of the industry... :(

But dang, this game looks cool. It's for the 3DS, in case you couldn't tell, and it looks like it'll be available on the Nintendo eShop, hopefully soon. You play as some cowboy armadillo, who may or may not be named "Jiro", defending a town against rock monsters. It looks like it's also an adventure game, because you see him solving puzzles and exploring areas, too.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind this becoming the next big Nintendo franchise. I love Nintendo's ever-expanding roster of characters and games, and as much as I love Nintendo's pre-existing franchises, it's nice to see them be creative and make new games like this.

Re: The Rolling Western

Smashgoom202 said:
You play as some cowboy armadillo defending a town against rock monsters. It looks like it's also an adventure game, because you see him solving puzzles and exploring areas, too.
You have my attention. I too like when a company tries something new and this sounds like something I'd be interested in.

And armadillos are cool.

GRH! Old West and armoured animals... me one weakness !!

Alright, Nintendo, I'll bite; this one seems vaguely interesting so far.

I'm going to bet that this becomes a hit, Nintendo makes a lackluster sequel two years later, and we never hear from it again.

*bump*

New trailer available! This time it's called "Dillion's Rolling Western". Huh... Anyway!

So his name changed? I thought it was originally Jiro. :P

Anyways, aside from that I think this game looks rather interesting. It looks great and fun so far!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll err on the safe side and assume you aren't; armadillo[n], seems fitting to me.

Never noticed that. But besides that, it doesn't fit the character very well.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Dillon is a very unfitting name for an armadillo.
I thought "Dillion" was the name of the guy who made the game. You know how it is, when certain people feel they should put their name in the title, just to remind you who's making it.

Check it out! Dillon's Rolling Western's official website:

http://dillonsrollingwestern.nintendo.com/

Also, some new trailers about the game!

...Looks like the armadillo really is called Dillon. Jiro must have been his Japanese name That's cool, though. Still hope he's the next major Super Smash Bros. playable character! ;)

According to the latest Nintendo Direct, there are at least 20 hours of gameplay, which is, if true, quite impressive for an original, downloadable title.

We'll see soon enough if the game can actually live up to that claim...

Of course, being the guy I am, I'm probably going to waste as much time finding every item I can and grinding myself insane trying to level up and gain new and/or more powerful attacks, so it's probably going to last a lot longer in my case.

So Smashgoom, since you've apparently made threads on both this and Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword, which would you say is more worth my money?

I actually bought both... But I haven't played Dillon's Rolling Western yet...

I'll say this, though, it definitely starts you off right! Dillon attacks a Grock to start the actual game! XD

The opening cinematic is pretty epic... Dillon's a badass ranger with a troubled past... And apparently he's got a chipmunk sidekick named Russ. On the first stage, you use a portion of your starting money to buy stuff you need to defend the village. Basically these things called Grocks are out to eat all the village's scruffling hogs, or "Scrogs", which they need to keep businesses in line. They're the "life blood" of the village, you could say. Basically the first part of the game is Dillon rolling around the village, getting scruffles to feed the Scrogs, so that there can be more Scrogs in case some get eaten, as Russ puts it. There are also mines which you can enter that change with stage to stage, and you can get gems and ore which you can either sell or use to fortify the. You can also build towers to help hold off the Grocks.

When the sky turns red, it means the Grocks will be there soon, so settle and business you have at the village, because they'll lock up until the raid is over.

As for the actual raid, when a Grock appears, you roll into them to initial a close-quartered fight with a bunch of smaller Grocks. Oh BTW, you roll by using the stylus to touch the touch screen, then hold and drag your stylus in the direction you want Dillon to go. The long you hold, the more speed and power you get.

After all the Grock are defeated, you get your reward money, then relax in a bar, where you can by gear from some creeper named Sal, practice your skills, namely rolling, claw attacks, and running/blocking/etc., eat dinner to restory your health, or look at different "quests". Quests are basically side-quests, which you can do in addition to the main goal of defending the village. They're like the trouble center, you get rewarded if you succeed, but pay a penalty if you don't. All-in-all, it looks like there's quite a bit to do for a downloadable game!

So basically, from my prospective, this game feels a lot more action-orieted than Sakurai Samurai, which basically, you go from dot-to-dot on a map screen, and fight warriors Punch-Out!!-style by waiting for opponents to attack then attack back. Yeah, that game has a a bit of action, but this seems a lot more fast-paced and to-the-point, rather than you roaming around and occasionally taking a break for mini-games and buying stuff. That game feels a bit more RPG-esque, as you can level up your sword and buy special things to keep your blade from getting dull or buying things to prevent you from taking damage. This game is similar with the defending towers, but those it doesn't feel very RPG-like when you're up against the actual Grocks. Actually, looking back, there are a LOT more RPG things here I find, but maybe it all doesn't feel that way when you're playing the actual game...

At least, from what I've played so far.

So, if you like Punch-Out!! and some action-adventure antics with Japanese culture sprinkled over it, get Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword. If you like tower defense, building fortified positions, and getting down-and-dirty with some close-ranged action sprinkled with Western culture, get Dillon's Rolling Western. I highly recommend them both.

Oh, and Dillon is voiced by the same guy who played Link. I forget which Link, though...

Thanks! If I can get my hands on a 3DS prepaid card, I'll be sure to get both, since they both look great, and I think they'll play well.

OK yeah I like this game. Starts off kinda slow, but once you get some cash for fortification of the towers it gets better.

I also really like Dillon. Dude's awesome. Dillon for Smash 4.

Yeah, getting 5 stars on each stage pretty much requires you to get use a buttload of money and invest it in towers. I had to try the first stage 3-4 times before finally getting a 5-star rating...

You also have to downgrade your gear if you want to find enough ore and gems, not just to complete the quests, but also to sell and make MORE money to invest in towers and items you need. Of course, it's not JUST towers, but how you use them. Sometimes I'd have a hard time picking what kind of gun to mount on each one. This is especially difficult with each new stage, because you have no idea what to expect and have no idea what the Grocks patterns are going to be. Or what the Grocks are for that matter.

...But yeah, Dillon for Super Smash Bros. 4! :P

Edit: Okay, this question goes out to people who have played the game in-depth, because I need some help on this one part. On the 7th's stage, you encounter Magmagrocks, which are firey hot and cannot be attacked normally. There's this one side-quest where you can supposedly put out the Magmagrocks with a single action. You CAN have them chase you until they eventually put themselves out, but that's not it. Does anyone know what to do?

I've been playing that game myself a decent number of times, and I'm now at stage 8. I did 5-star the first 7 stages during the process as well. Stage 7 was quite complex to finish in under 19:00, since you need to utilize a lot of Long Cannons without using Gun Towers 2 and 4.

Regarding the Magmagrock quest, on the 3rd day of stage 7, you'll get some new equipment, which will enable you to use the Tunnel Attack. The Tunnel Attack is the key to putting out the Magmagrock's burning body without forcing it to chase you.

MnSG said:
I've been playing that game myself a decent number of times, and I'm now at stage 8. I did 5-star the first 7 stages during the process as well. Stage 7 was quite complex to finish in under 19:00, since you need to utilize a lot of Long Cannons without using Gun Towers 2 and 4.

Regarding the Magmagrock quest, on the 3rd day of stage 7, you'll get some new equipment, which will enable you to use the Tunnel Attack. The Tunnel Attack is the key to putting out the Magmagrock's burning body without forcing it to chase you.
I tried using that, but it didn't work. Then again, I'm still getting the hang of using that piece of equipment. Would you mind explaining it more thoroughly?

First of all, you need to touch the touch screen with your stylus, and charge up your Roll Attack. During that time, press and hold the L button. Next, move your stylus at the angle you want, and then release. Dillon will dig forward, and when you release the L button, he'll pop out from the ground. This can stun most Grocks, and is the key to offensively deal with Magmagrocks.

You can also refer to the game's manual if you're still stumped.

MnSG said:
First of all, you need to touch the touch screen with your stylus, and charge up your Roll Attack. During that time, press and hold the L button. Next, move your stylus at the angle you want, and then release. Dillon will dig forward, and when you release the L button, he'll pop out from the ground. This can stun most Grocks, and is the key to offensively deal with Magmagrocks.

You can also refer to the game's manual if you're still stumped.
The game has a manual?!

Smashgoom202 said:
The game has a manual?!

Of course. When you're in the 3DS menu, certain tools and game applications come included with manuals that you can read. However, this does NOT apply to DS and DSiWare titles.

Back