December 21, 2012

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
I don't think anything is going to happen that day except maybe I'll eat breakfast.

2012 is stupid. People predicted the world would end in 2008, did it? No. In 2004? No. In 1996? No.

The Mayans are stupid too.

It's just a superstition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_21,_2012
Point.

Nabber Simpson said:
It's just a superstition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_21,_2012
Point.
The Mayans didn't do anything wrong. Their calendar doesn't end for another 2000 years or something.

What? That's when the Mayan calendar ends?

1. So what?
2. Maybe that's when they got killed by the Conquistadors
3. Maybe they just got bored of making the calendar
4. Maybe they figured, "What's the point of the calendar going so far? We're not going to be alive by then..."
etc.

According to a friend of my mom's (Who is from around where the Mayans lived), 2012 is simply an end to a mayan cycle. Similar to how our calender ends on December 31st. And since 2012 was a century away, they didn't really see the point of continuing. The conquistadors helped with that logic too.

Vlad Plasmius said:
According to a friend of my mom's (Who is from around where the Mayans lived), 2012 is simply an end to a mayan cycle. Similar to how our calender ends on December 31st. And since 2012 was a century away, they didn't really see the point of continuing. The conquistadors helped with that logic too.

You're exactly right! Somebody was superstitious and decided to spread a rumor and blame it on the Mayans. It's like a very scrambled version of telephone/.

Nabber Simpson said:
Vlad Plasmius said:

You're exactly right! Somebody was superstitious and decided to spread a rumor and blame it on the Mayans. It's like a very scrambled version of telephone/.
Oh.

Well that makes the Mayans look like complete idiots.

Supremo said:
Nabber Simpson said:
Vlad Plasmius said:

Oh.

Well that makes the Mayans look like complete idiots.

Well, their calendar was still the most advanced of it's time.

The only real thing that'll happen (according to their calculations), is that the Sun, the Earth, and some kind of Black Hole in the center will come on 1 line.
It's not like we're all doomed, because of a galactic event.

To parody it, I could even start Christmas eve 5 days early, so we'll have a nice day on December 21st.

It won't happen. Just trust me on this. Look what happened to the guy that said the world was going to end on May 21st. He looked like a complete idiot.

And on exactly that day, he said: "It did happen, but it was invisible. You'll not see any rapture to happen before October 21st."
That actually made me laugh, as he sounds like he admits defeat.

Actually, the Mayans did actually predict a cosmic event, that Venus will pass in between Earth and the sun. This signaled Armageddon in Mayan mythology.

So none of this "ran out of space on the calandar" stuff is accurate.

However, unless you believe in Mayan gods, there will be no Armageddon.

so stop your fretting master dwarf

Dr. Javelin said:
Actually, the Mayans did actually predict a cosmic event, that Venus will pass in between Earth and the sun. This signaled Armageddon in Mayan mythology.

So none of this "ran out of space on the calandar" stuff is accurate.

However, unless you believe in Mayan gods, there will be no Armageddon.

so stop your fretting master dwarf
So uh,

shows that what you told me was wrong

Dr. Javelin's wrong. There is no apocalypse or "armageddon" in classical Mayan belief.

Anyway, I'll spend that day laughing at the people stupid enough to sell their possessions, disown their families, and get down on their knees waiting for their personal gods to either wipe everybody else out or deliver them to paradise. As far as Venus passing between the Earth and the Sun, every day brings a new galactic alignment.

Supremo said:
2012 is stupid. People predicted the world would end in 2008, did it? No. In 2004? No. In 1996? No.

The Mayans are stupid too.
hey you forgot 2011.

because of Harold Dumbass Camping.

Allow me to repeat, that Mayans never predicted 2012 as the end of the world, just the end of their calendar.

I am kinda scared but it is like a year away. But it won't happen our science teacher told us last year the earth would live for about 300 million more years

Mario4Ever said:
Dr. Javelin's wrong. There is no apocalypse or "armageddon" in classical Mayan belief.

Anyway, I'll spend that day laughing at the people stupid enough to sell their possessions, disown their families, and get down on their knees waiting for their personal gods to either wipe everybody else out or deliver them to paradise. As far as Venus passing between the Earth and the Sun, every day brings a new galactic alignment.
Oh yeah darn it I forgot that it wasn't Armageddon but rather a celebration.

Well anyways it's not just that they just stopped their calendar for no apparent reason, that was the point I was trying to make.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
Allow me to repeat, that Mayans never predicted 2012 as the end of the world, just the end of their calendar.

Not the end of the calendar, only the end of a 144,000 day cycle (the thirteenth such cycle in the Long Count calendar) and the beginning of another one.

Back