Metroid Discussion

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
This is probably a lost cause because I don't think anyone but me (and maybe Shyguy) is into this franchise, but oh well, it's worth a shot.

I love this series. It's probably my favorite of all of Nintendo's franchises but always gets overshadowed by Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. The first Metroid Prime was easily one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

PS: Want to mock me for kind of liking Other M? Do so here.

Please tell me what you saw in Other M. I am legitimately curious.

I've beaten all the main ones (fuck you Metroid II), and all the Primes except Corruption. Didn't play Other M either. I think my favorite would be Fusion.

Still trying to 100% Zero Mission but there's like 3 items in Ridley that I cannot for my life find.

carcinoGeneticist said:
Please tell me what you saw in Other M. I am legitimately curious.

I'm not 100% sure, to be honest. Please note in the OP that I said that I only kind of liked it. It's an okay game, just not a great Metroid title. I don't love it by any stretch of the imagination, I just don't hate it like the rest of the internet does. I like the fact that it at least tried to deliver a more traditional Metroid experience to a home console, something we haven't seen since the SNES. I thought the exploration was good as well, despite it being kind of linear. I like the fact that it had the speed of the GBA titles as well.

Yeah, the voice acting is terrible, the story is .....eh....., the music is nowhere as memorable, and the controls needed some work (moving in a 3D space with a d-pad is just plain wonky), but I was still able to get some enjoyment out of it. It could just be my blind fan-ness for the series, I don't know.

OK, well, I do hate it like the rest of the internet does (for reasons I'm not going to go into detail about because I'm sure you've heard them from the rest of the internet a hundred times).

'3K said:
This is probably a lost cause because I don't think anyone but me (and maybe Shyguy) is into this franchise, but oh well, it's worth a shot.
Hey! I labelled Metroid Prime as one of me favourite games of the 2000s! Am I just chopped liver to ye?

But yeah, definitely me favourite Nintendo series, although I haven't played as many titles as '3K and Shyguy probably have. Still huntin' down Metroid Fusion.

About Other M:

I thought it was an okay game. However, I felt that it was too straightforward and there really wasn't that much exploration (compared to the Prime games, at least). I did like the phases of Ridley though, that was an interesting twist as well as the Deleter. Overall, it was alright, but not a solid Metroid title (you couldn't even scan enemies/bosses for their weaknesses or other info, something that also disappointed me).

About the Prime games:

My first Metroid game was the Trilogy and I only tried it out because my friend recommended the original Prime game ($50 for 3 full-length Metroid games + extra unlockables/content is a pretty nice deal). All three games were fantastic (although I didn't really like Corruption as much as the others). Echoes will forever be my favorite one, since in my opinion, it had the best areas (Sanctuary Fortress is awesome) and a challenging final boss, especially when doing it on Veteran and Expert modes.

I have yet to play any other titles though, but I'm currently playing the original and plan to play Fusion when it appears on the Ambassador Program.

I agree with you about Echoes having better areas, but I think Prime 1 had a better soundtrack. Phendrana Drifts is one of my favorite game themes ever.

I'm actually going back through Fusion right now. Glad I hung on to my DS Phat. It's also fairly linear, but at the end the entire ship you've been on becomes available and it's pretty damn expansive.

Phendrana Drifts had fantastic music, I agree.

I thought Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress also had fantastic music as well, my favorite being the latter. Emperor Ing also had good boss music and I liked the throwback to Metroid Prime in the emperor's final form.

But yeah, one thing about Corruption that didn't appeal to me were the areas. They just seemed...bland (except Elysia, which was alright). The music wasn't all that memorable either, heck, the only song I remember from that game distinctly was Rundas's theme.

One thing I would like to see in a future Metroid game is more jungle areas, since they're practically my favorite to explore.

Gamefreak75 said:
the only song I remember from that game distinctly was Rundas's theme.
I also quite liked the Bryyo jungle and the main Skytown themes. Those are nice.

I'm partial to snow areas in video games, so I'd like to see more of those.

Gamefreak75 said:
About the Prime games:

My first Metroid game was the Trilogy and I only tried it out because my friend recommended the original Prime game ($50 for 3 full-length Metroid games + extra unlockables/content is a pretty nice deal). All three games were fantastic (although I didn't really like Corruption as much as the others). Echoes will forever be my favorite one, since in my opinion, it had the best areas (Sanctuary Fortress is awesome) and a challenging final boss, especially when doing it on Veteran and Expert modes.
I prefer Prime 1 over Echoes. Never played Corruption but from what I've seen I don't really want to. One thing I dislike about the other two but especially Corruption is how huge of a deal they made phazon. I don't know, I just kind of liked the idea that Tallon IV was an isolated incident. I agree that Sanctuary was awesome though and Quadraxis is my personal favorite part of the series. As for Emperor Ing being challenging, I dunno, he only took me 2 tries, and only because I didn't think to spider ball his shell my first time. Prime on the other hand took me at least 10 tries.

Oh yeah fuck Sky Temple Keys.

Also I love Hunters.

They certainly are.

Other M is actually one of my favorites in the series, and I consider it second only to Super Metroid. *Ridley rips me apart*

Actually and unfortunately, no.

[quote author=Mario4Ever]I was disappointed by Ridley (or should I say Ridley-X). Compared to his appearances in Primes 1 and 3, Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Other M, he was a joke. IDK if it's a result of crappy programming or fighting a parasitic copy of Ridley made from the frozen, dried husk of a clone, but Yakuza (that spider thing) was much harder, and that's a problem, considering that Ridley's the third-to-last boss (#10), and Yakuza's boss #6.[/quote]

The hardest one in my opinion is either Super Metroid's or Other M's (Hard Mode).

I don't remember ever having trouble with any boss in Super Metroid. I'll admit to never having played Other M or Prime 3 so I can't speak for those fights, but the only Ridley fights I've ever had trouble with were Ridley X and Prime's Meta-Ridley.

Herr Shyguy said:
I don't remember ever having trouble with any boss in Super Metroid. I'll admit to never having played Other M or Prime 3 so I can't speak for those fights, but the only Ridley fights I've ever had trouble with were Ridley X and Prime's Meta-Ridley.

Ridley's the only boss in Super Metroid I had trouble with, partially because I'm not the completionist type in most cases, so you might have been more prepared than I was (I want to say 200ish missiles and 5 or 6 energy tanks).

I doubt it came down to collection issues since I'd like to think I'm consistently thorough as far as item collection.

Herr Shyguy said:
I doubt it came down to collection issues since I'd like to think I'm consistently thorough as far as item collection.

I'm not. I finished Fusion at 38%.

Herr Shyguy said:
Damn man I guess I'm just shit at Fusion then.

Or I'm just shit at Super Metroid. The only game I've completed 100% in the whole series thus far (haven't played Hunters and am just starting Metroid II) is Other M, and that's only because every item in the game is represented on the map as a glowing blue dot.

Back