Can Town (The Official Homestuck Thread)

Favorite Troll?

• Aradia Megido

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Tavros Nitram

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Sollux Captor

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Karkat Vantas

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Nepeta Leijon

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Kanaya Maryam

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Terezi Pyrope

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Vriska Serket

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Equius Zahhak

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Gamzee Makara

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Eridan Ampora

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Feferi Peixes

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
Karkat's Blood aspect has been pretty obviously about unity(/friendship) for a while (but of course the poor guy wouldn't see it), but the Space = procreation/motherhood makes SO much sense, especially Echidna being the mother of all monsters. Then time relates to "father time" and Yaldaboath being the father of all monsters: again, hiding in plain sight, but it's dual nature is death. Hence Aradia. And all the dead Aradiabots and all the dead Daves and even Davesprite. And Caliborn/LE bringing doom to all universes, and also being able to beat the dead Session while Calliope, as a Space player, obviously couldn't do it. It all makes so much sense!

Also, been meaning to post my (in progress) aspect musings for a while, to go with my class chart, so I guess now's as good a time as ever, with the newly-added dual space/time ideas:

Blood / Unity - - Breath / Freedom
Space / Procreation - - Time / Death
Mind / Choice - - Doom / Fate
Hope / Belief - - Rage / Faith
Light / Fortune - - Void / Directionlessness???/Presence?
Heart / Soul - - Life / Body???

I can't figure out an eloquent word or the Void dual aspect. It's like, aimlessnes, or no having a known path, because Equius always needed to be told what to do and had no future, and Roxy was just sorta boozing around for the longest time and seeming to wing it a lot rather than having a big plan like a light/fortune/knowledge player would, and meanwhile her dream self was just floating around... The other option is "presence", to pun on the absence part of Void while at the same time being a counter to the future aspect of Light's fortune duality, and reflect how Roxy and Equius exist in the present rather than having much future/plans, but idk, it doesn't seem as fitting - it's hard to say.

Life is even harder. Opposite of soul is... body? To pun on her baker's booty or something? I just feel like the life players need bodies to heal for their powers to work, so yeah. Body doesn't really fit Meenah, Feferi or the Condesce, tho (except for Fef's corpse on the horn pile or something, idk). Another option could be "others", if Heart is really more like "self", since you're all about healing your friends when you're a Life player. Either way, more study is needed for that one.

The rest I'm more confident about.

Can you elaborate on belief versus faith? I'd like to know more about the definition of those terms in this context.

Belief is based on prior knowledge, faith is more like religious faith where there is no proof, but you still believe. But it's a pretty fine distinction, and the terms are often used interchangeably depending on where you look. I considered making Hope about trust instead to make it less nuanced and heavily definition-dependent, but Jake is all about believing in his friends n' stuff, Chronos used to believe in magic until Kurloz got to him, and Eridan had no belief at first - and once he switched to magic, he wrecked shit up with it, as per his class. Meanwhile Gamzee and Kurloz are all about faith and religion - at first, it was blind faith for Gamzee, but then his faith was tested by the ICP video, and then he found out about Caliborn and stuff and became actively involved (despite being a passive class).

I think there could also be a nuance of creation versus destruction to hope versus rage. Or maybe creative belief versus destructive belief.

Jake's hope powers seem to manifest as the ability to create things that don't exist by believing in them hard enough. He creates an iteration of Dirk, and surrounds himself in a super powerful field of magical light, despite magic being fake. Eridan prevents the creation of a new mother grub. Meanwhile the two known rage players are faithful to the single most destructive force in existence.

Curiously, this would correspond with how people seem to treat hope like the strongest aspect. If hope relates to creation, then Skaia would probably be biased towards this aspect, since Skaia represents creation. The colors correspond as well; both hope and Prospit, the servants of Skaia, are golden, and both rage and Derse, the opposers of Skaia, are purple.

Another thing that just popped into my head while writing this:

What if hope versus rage represents creativity versus indoctrination? Hope thrives on imagining things yourself and making them real through belief, whereas Rage deals with you being told what is real and expects you to obey?

i never bothered trying to figure out what the classes do because it's all super vague and speculative unless someone explicitly stated what they do

I toyed around with the idea of classes being more of a network than binary pairs, like with interconnecting trio and such, but it got pretty hairy. Like, Life and Doom makes sense, Mind and Doom makes sense, and Heart and Doom makes sense; meanwhile, Light and Void make sense, Life and Void make sense, and even Space and Void make sense; etc. I just made it pairs for now, like how the Classes line up, but I could easily be making it too basic for all I know.

I feel like the creation/destruction stuff is a result of their Classes, not Aspects. Pages create stuff (Tavros made the little breath once, Jake makes the hope field and angels), while Princes and Bards destroy stuff (Eridan Hopesploded the orb and kills angels; Gamzee's rage leads to a lot of death and destruction; Cronos's belief in magic got destroyed by Kurloz; plus Dirk is a destroyer of souls/Hearts). The way I think of it is that Classes have to do with verbs, while the Aspects are always nouns: Witch of Space creates space/frogs, Rogue of Void steals from nothingness, Seer of Mind sees/understands the consequences of choices, etc.

Anyway, creativity/indoctrination could make sense, but I really feel like belief/faith/etc. is the key to both aspects. Although it occurred to me today that perhaps Rage if really Disillusionment - or perhaps the other way around?

2257 said:
i don't think yaldabaoth is really associated with time. in the human sessions yaldabaoth is the denizen of dirk's planet, while hephaestus is the denizen of dave's planet
Iiirc, he only appears to especially powerful players, so I consider him to have the ability to override the normal Aspect bosses (Like Hephaestus, the Time denizen in normal sessions). I figured Muse!Calliope would have gotten him too, but I guess Echidna can't be overridden. Which makes sense in and of itself anyway. I'd love to know the identity of Karkat's denizen...

Just gotta say, really loved the latest upd8. Hussie had me going with the earlier dodging around, but no, we actually did get a real conversation between the Striders in the end. And an explanation for all the Statues of Liberty to boot.

That was a good update.

That's really all there is to say on the matter.

Yeah, I really liked this update too. Good to see Dave and Dirk actually interacting.

Walkazo said:
And an explanation for all the Statues of Liberty to boot.

^ that too.

whatever at least things are happening, I'm happy about that

I like that about current Vriska, she gets things done and it feels like Homestuck drastically needs this at this point

Moral of the story: don't change who you are to fit someone else's lifestyle, because it might backfire spectacularly and leave you with half your hair shaved off and your arm all inked up and various body parts filled with holes while your girlfriend walks off with another version of you who didn't sell out and wreck herself and start deriving all her happiness from someone with a track record of up and quitting things whenever they get hard.

Really, while Meenah x Vriska was cute at the time, the more I think about it, the more it was clear that it was just as unhealthy as Terezi x Gamzee, but in different ways. Vriska was a huge asshole to tear her other self a new one like that, but I think it's ultimately because she hates herself (like, her actual self, and by extension, any versions of herself) - she's always hidden it under bravado, but she was never really happy, just like how punk!Vriska wasn't really happy under the feigned nonchalance either: she was scared and lying to herself and using Meenah as her one lifeline to happiness, which in all honesty is one of the shittiest things you can do to your partner. I can feel for Meenah not wanting to be responsible for Vriska's mental wellbeing, especially since she knows she's ultimately selfish and not one for long-term commitments (it's literally in her fuchsia blood); she was smart to break it off, in all honesty, for both their sakes, even if it hurt them both.

Hopefully punk!Vriska will at least have some closure in the end, tho, instead of just getting exploded by LE. Hell, still hoping pre-retcon Davesprite turns out to not actually be dead so he can get closure too, but then again, life doesn't always give closure so maybe that was the moral of his story, idk. Either way, not gonna judge anything fully until it's all over: there's no telling what'll happen next for any of the storylines.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

NEPETA IS BACK!!!

Yay! Now fuse with Jasprose and Tavros into some sort of hideous technicolor blobmonster ^4 sprite.

Then when the finale happens and everyone expects a big battle: Psyche! Big rave party instead!

Back