Can Town (The Official Homestuck Thread)

Favorite Troll?

• Aradia Megido

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Tavros Nitram

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Sollux Captor

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Karkat Vantas

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Nepeta Leijon

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Kanaya Maryam

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Terezi Pyrope

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Vriska Serket

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Equius Zahhak

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Gamzee Makara

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Eridan Ampora

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Feferi Peixes

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
Or maybe the players themselves can't be prototyped by their own kernelsprite as a fail-safe measure or something, but spin-off iterations of themselves (especially dead/doomed ones) are fair game.

Didn't the original Aradia prototype herself with her own kernel though?

She was dead, but she was also native of the same timeline the kernel was from.

Hmmm, while Aradia's situation is unique in many ways besides that already, I guess that does indicate that being dead is enough to overrule the fail-safe - which makes sense, since if someone's already a ghost or corpse or whatever, they hardly need to be defended against turning themselves into a sprite/ghost - on the contrary, it's a good way to get around that problem.

Okay so just further evidence that the girl we saw with Meenah is not Aranea, hidden in plain slight:
VRISKA: I mean, we have ancestors, 8ut under normal circumstances it's pretty much UNHEARD of to imagine you'd ever get the chance to meet them.
VRISKA: We had the unusual privilege of meeting most of ours, or at least, certain versions of them.
She says most.
In Vriska's instagram, we CLEARLY saw Damara, Rufioh, Cronus, Kurloz, Meulin, Mituna, Latula, Porrim, Meenah, Horuss and Kankri. IF the troll girl with Meenah is Aranea, there would be no reason for Vriska to say "most of ours". Meaning it's clearly the vriska that died and found the ultimate juju etc.

EDIT:
07523.gif

Okay this is actually pretty sweet and I'll be sad if Slick dies and doesn't make it through the end

9F8tplF.png

this was the advertisement on homestuck today

Okay fiiiiiiiine, guess I was wrong and that was Vriska's ghost with Meenah all along. Unless Vriska talks to them and it's like, surprise, it's Aranea, but that's wishful thinking at this point. Still, you'd think Xamag wouldn't've screwed up the hair so badly - she's one of the best guest artists...

Walkazo said:
Tavrosesprite
I guessed the wrong sprite ;_;

The PJs aspect surprises me most. 2 tails ==> 2 legs? Kinda wonder if the seizure lighting's gonna wear off, or...

Now they only need to throw John into one of the other kernels with something, and there will be a freaky animal hybrid version of each of the original four kids.

You mean post-retcon Jaspersprite? I forgot that he's supposed to be around too... But I feel like the Rose half wouldn't be interested in Jaspers, seeing as he's a (neutered) guy and also a cat.

I can't remember either way.

And yeah, true. Hell, Jadesprite made more of a fuss for simply being pulled away from her troll friends - Rosesprite had/has much more reason to angst...

So I had this random thought a while ago. It's less an elaborate theory and more just some nonsense I threw at the wall.

We don't really know yet how the ring of life brings people back from the dead. What if bringing someone back to life does something to all copies of that person? Like, maybe it involves a trade-off that exchanges the existence of all versions of you for the life of one single instance? Kind of like something a denizen would come up with.

This hypothesis has a lot of holes, but it would explain why Aranea is conspicuously absent in the post-retcon timeline. Moreover it could be why alternate Calliope is appearing now. If Roxy is going to try giving the ring to Calliope now, the alternate Calliope thing needs to be brought to a close before that, for she might disappear.

Hey kids! It's Marowak's minitheory time :D
So it's been heavily implied that the ring of life and the ring of void are the same ring. Like how when one disappears, the other appears.
And since magic is fake, I wanted to "examine" this from another angle. Like what the ring of life actually does.
Yes, it resurrects people. But it seems to be able to do so without the presence of a body. It's pretty safe to assume that Jane's resurrection ability requires a body to work, so if the ring is powered by life only, it couldn't resurrect ghosts who have no bodies to come back to (ESPECIALLY if that theory about how maybe the ring is a juju and Jane or part of her is trapped inside).
So what power can make matter appear out of nothing? Void. Rogue of Void powers. A body is, well, matter. So my guess is, the void part in the ring functions as something that creates a suitable, lifeless body for the ghost to host, and the life part of it enables it to inhabit said body.

I don't remember seeing any indication at all that they're the same ring... The main info dump we got about them said there were two, and the origins of both were shown to be correct (John getting it from a retconned timeline even fits the "has no real origin" angle, same deal as Lil Cal and his scratch origin), so why assume the basic fact that there's two that are never found at the same time be wrong? Ghosts are tangible, like dream selves, afaik, and the Ring of Life isn't the only thing that turned a ghost into a living body anyway, since Sollux's corpse getting prototyped turned his half-ghost body (that started out as a living dream bubble body) into a fully-alive body. Either way, Void powers are nothingness - Roxy only makes things from nothing because she's a Rogue (and thus, steals stuff from nothingness); if she had another Class, she'd have different voidey powers, presumably aside from being able to appear and disappear from the Void (like how any time player can time travel, etc.).

I also think the earlier exchange idea posted doesn't hold water: it's too convoluted (since even the denizen trades involved them bodily killing the spare kids, rather than just poofing them away one way or another). Maybe Aranea just didn't die that often, like how Gamzee survived all doomed timelines through until the fade-to-black-with-no-ghosts endings and so, left no ghosts either. Then when the Condesce killed her, she either slunk off to hide, or because that was her only ghost self, that was her double-death, and she's gone forever. (Or she's dead!Vriska and Vriska was wrong about it being her ghost, because I still think things make less sense with the retconned stuff happening all along, but w/e, we'll see.) It also looks like Muse!Calliope still has stuff to do even though Callie's alive again (yay about that): my thought was that she was only there to tell Callie that she's the important one who has to live, but it was a lot more backhanded and yeah, really wondering what she had to do at that signal. Something about Paradox Space, I'm guessing?

(Speaking of which, the first PXS compilation book's out, if anyone's interested.)

Except this is Homestuck: I am 90% sure the phrasing "When one is lost, the other is found." and "One has no origin, and the other MYSTERIOUSLY vanished" is Hussie screaming "GUYS! IT MEANS IT'S THE SAME RING! GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS COME ON!".
Also, retconned timeline or not, the ring still originates from Hussie, who found it somehow in the furthest ring, since it's kind of proven now that the furthest ring is independant of any retcon shenanigans. This would mean there are two life rings, split into two timelines like cal (One being with the pre-retcon condesce, the other now on calliope's finger), but we still don't know where the ring originates. Which is why it's very possible that the void ring, lost in the void, ends up becoming the life ring somehow.
As for the void powers, remember that time when i said jujus might be imprisoning fragments of/souls of our players? Or at least POWERED by them. It would make absolute sense for a ring of void, powered by Roxy Lalonde, to be able to make a body appear.
I'm going to not discuss Sollux because everytime I attempt to a my brain goes dead. I think the guy's remaining role in the comic is to have a complex anatomy that makes no sense whatsoever and yet does at the same time.

Walkazo said:
I also think the earlier exchange idea posted doesn't hold water: it's too convoluted (since even the denizen trades involved them bodily killing the spare kids, rather than just poofing them away one way or another). Maybe Aranea just didn't die that often, like how Gamzee survived all doomed timelines through until the fade-to-black-with-no-ghosts endings and so, left no ghosts either. Then when the Condesce killed her, she either slunk off to hide, or because that was her only ghost self, that was her double-death, and she's gone forever. (Or she's dead!Vriska and Vriska was wrong about it being her ghost, because I still think things make less sense with the retconned stuff happening all along, but w/e, we'll see.) It also looks like Muse!Calliope still has stuff to do even though Callie's alive again (yay about that): my thought was that she was only there to tell Callie that she's the important one who has to live, but it was a lot more backhanded and yeah, really wondering what she had to do at that signal. Something about Paradox Space, I'm guessing?

The update that followed my post has pretty much disproven my thoughts outright.

But at the basis of every discovery is a thesis. In this case the discovery has been that my thesis was hypothetic garbage. Welp, back to the drawing board.

Back