S. 978

Snowstalker

Snowstalker
Would make streaming of copyrighted material a felony. This is so broad that it would be illegal to show a video of one playing video games (which has helped the video game industry, since people are more likely to buy a game if they know what it's like), singing karaoke, or literally anything else. Most of Youtube would be closed off, and it's all thanks to massive corporations pushing this bill to crush even the slightest dent in profits, even if the actual effects are nonexistent. If you live in the US, stand up to big business and tell your Senators (mine are Casey and Toomey) to strike down this bill.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes/

If this bill passes, could this potentially mean now more LPs on YouTube? Or worse, will the already existing LPs be removed?

God, it was bad enough when chuggaa and NCS were falsley suspended from YouTube, and now this?!

BTW, I'm not too big on politics so who would my Senators be? I live in Illinois.

Aqua Soul said:
If this bill passes, could this potentially mean now more LPs on YouTube? Or worse, will the already existing LPs be removed?

God, it was bad enough when chuggaa and NCS were falsley suspended from YouTube, and now this?!

BTW, I'm not too big on politics so who would my Senators be? I live in Illinois.

Yes.

According to Wiki, your senators are Mark Kirk and Dick Durbin.

Hell no. I will not accept this.

I'm glad I don't live in the US, so I can't go to jail.
On the other hand, what do we have to do with our 1.100+ video's on YouTube?
Plus, the biggest viewers of our Channel, and the biggest visitors of our site, are American.
If they all get banned, we will get hurt, Nintendo gets hurt, Sony gets hurt, Microsoft gets hurt, Apple gets hurt, and so do Sega, Capcom, Tecmo Koei, Atari, etc.

I mean, streaming video's is free commercial, not encouraging piracy.
American politics are just the dumbest people in the world, as far as I've seen.
Okay, only Hitler, Saddam, and that idiot from Libya are/were worse.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
I'm glad I don't live in the US, so I can't go to jail.
On the other hand, what do we have to do with our 1.100+ video's on YouTube?
Plus, the biggest viewers of our Channel, and the biggest visitors of our site, are American.
If they all get banned, we will get hurt, Nintendo gets hurt, Sony gets hurt, Microsoft gets hurt, Apple gets hurt, and so do Sega, Capcom, Tecmo Koei, Atari, etc.

I mean, streaming video's is free commercial, not encouraging piracy.
American politics are just the dumbest people in the world, as far as I've seen.
Okay, only Hitler, Saddam, and that idiot from Libya are/were worse.
This and all the other stuff in this quote

This policy is just as dumb as the RIAA policy about free music, except even dumber.

I'm just gonna bring over something Garlic said on Xephyr about this:

[quote author=Marcelagus]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srPARTDSLko&feature=feedu

Chris Smoove does a good job in putting the issue into perspective.

(skip to 1:24 for the discussion on the bill)
[/quote]

Why doesn't our country focus on important things instead of this crap? I swear, all politics is anymore is a huge popularity contest.

YamiHoshi.nl said:

And the Dutch legislature is so much better and not completely full of marijuana addicts.

On a more serious note, this will never pass. People will realize that this is a flawed law and fix it.

The only correct opinion about this bill:

VXBm7.jpg

The law will never pass. If it does, yo me voy a Canadá!

Brick Tamland said:
the Dutch legislature is so much better and not completely full of marijuana addicts
With my new-found Dutch heritage I am deeply offended.

I just thought of a loophole. From what I read in the bill, the only copyrighted material that the corporations and Hollywood are concerned about is music, right?

All LPers need to do is edit out the music. Problem solved. That way, copyright claims can't be filed if the music isn't playing, right?

>>Brick Tamland
At least some of them do know some stuff about IT-related stuff.
All over this year, they've been fighting for having decent telecommunication (providers were going to far, like using a DPI, which is now illegal).
Now we even have net neutrality, as the second country of the world (after Chili).
And no, like I've said before, not so much people use marijuana here.

The politicians in Greece are way worse.

At least America's are elected fairly (except Bush), unlike much of Asia and Africa.

Greece is almost bankrupt.

Hey guys, this is a little bit off-topic, but a few minutes ago, I couldn't watch ANY YouTube videos at all. The part where the video was supposed to be just a had a black screen, and the video didn't load at all, no time bar, no buffering symbol, nothing.

It's fine now, but still, was that a glitch or something? ???

Aqua Soul said:
Hey guys, this is a little bit off-topic, but a few minutes ago, I couldn't watch ANY YouTube videos at all. The part where the video was supposed to be just a had a black screen, and the video didn't load at all, no time bar, no buffering symbol, nothing.

It's fine now, but still, was that a glitch or something? ???

Maybe you have bad connection?

>>Aqua Soul
It works fine for me, I think you just had a bad connection.

Pff... This will not pass. I'm not even from US but i can tell this is just plain stupidity. It will not pass if everyone there are capable of thinking.

ToD the ToaD said:
Pff... This will not pass. I'm not even from US but i can tell this is just plain stupidity. It will not pass if everyone there are capable of thinking.

Or if they are not greedy hypocritical morons

Back