More Spotlight for Other Characters?

Propeller Toad

Dislikes the amount of neglect Toad receives...
While going through other threads and game information, I noticed that while we have received many games within the Mario series, there are not that many games featuring the other characters in the main series rather than Mario. I am aware that the series is called the Mario series; however, do the other characters really need to be put on the sidelines to let Mario star in almost every game? I think it would be interesting to learn about the back stories of the other characters, and I mean this by giving these characters starring roles without Mario around (eg. Luigi). What are your opinions?

Starring roles per major character throughout the series:
Mario - At least near 200 installments that either star or have Mario as the main protagonist.
Luigi - Three?? (Luigi's Mansion, upcoming Luigi's Mansion 2, and possibly Mario is Missing)
Peach - One (Super Princess Peach)
Bowser - One? (M & L: Bowser's Inside Story was mainly about Bowser)
Toad - One (Wario's Woods)
Baby Mario - Three? (In consideration of the three Yoshi's Island games)
Baby Luigi - None (considering that he is usually kidnapped in the Yoshi's Island games)
Waluigi - None
Daisy - None
Bowser Jr. - None
Birdo - None

Of course, there are also characters who did receive their own fair share of games:
Yoshi - eight -Yoshi's Island series installments, Yoshi's Story and others
Donkey Kong - A large selection of games (mixed in Mario and his own series)
Wario - Wario Land and WarioWare series games.

? - Unsure if some games are counted towards the Mario series.

The reason for the lack of that game in this list is because I was considering this list in terms of the character being the sole and main playable character. Partners in Time also had the Mario Bros. and Baby Luigi., I guess this can be put as a character's major role, but not sure if it would be considered a starring role.

I think you also meant Partners in Time for Baby Luigi. Again I don't know whether this game could be considered his starring role.

Luigi is also Mario's co-star in the Mario & Luigi games, plus, he's been in all the sidescrollers and both Galaxies, so he's not really left out as much as everyone thinks.

Peach was also in SMRPG and SPM. Even so, she could use some time in the spotlight.

Toad was playable in SMB2, but like Peach, he could use some more time in the spotlight.

As for Bowser, well, he can't really have his own game, because IMO in video games, good guys should always win in the end. If the Mario series were to get a decent cartoon series, then yes, Bowser would be entitled to win in a few episodes, as it would give Mario and Luigi and chance to make up for their defeat.

Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, and Bowser Jr. aren't really important enough to have their own games. Waluigi was only created to give Wario and partner in the spin-offs, Daisy could be Luigi's Damsel-In-Distress, Birdo is a bit of a shady character as she's usually a villain, but seems to turn over a new leaf in the spin-offs as she seems to have a thing for Yoshi. Bowser Jr. is just a boss/minion for Bowser, really. No reason for him to have his own game.

Roll said:
As for Bowser, well, he can't really have his own game, because IMO in video games, good guys should always win in the end. If the Mario series were to get a decent cartoon series, then yes, Bowser would be entitled to win in a few episodes, as it would give Mario and Luigi and chance to make up for their defeat.

In Sonic Adventure 2, you were given the option to play as the bad guys. That ended up working (though, they did lose in the end).

Anyways, I think games where a character is important (either in gameplay or story) should be counted in this list. Games such as the Mario and Luigi series, any game where Bowser is the main villain, Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario Bros. 2 should be considered as important roles for some characters.

Leonyx said:
Roll said:

In Sonic Adventure 2, you were given the option to play as the bad guys. That ended up working (though, they did lose in the end).

I actually forgot about that. But since you mentioned it, I think it could work.

About the list in the first post, Daisy starred in Super Mario Land...and that bright yellow text is way too hard on the eyes.

About the list in the first post, Daisy starred in Super Mario Land...and that bright yellow text is way too hard on the eyes.

Daisy was more so the damsel of distress. She was not the central character as that title went to Mario in that game. Her role was very minor in Super Mario Land.

Also to clear up the confusion, the way I made that list was to show the games that the characters played the sole and independent role as a playable protagonist. This list does not include the games that the characters had roles by simply joining Mario and helping him on his journey as the right hand men. For example, in Luigi's Mansion, Luigi goes off on his own to rescue his brother by his lonesome (meaning he was the only playable character). As you can see, these games have different elements to them that are unique in comparison to Mario's own titular games.

Edit: However, I guess that this confusion by might be due to the misleading title I made for the topic.

Daisy could at least appear in a game other than a spin-off, let alone star in one. She hasn't been in one of those since Super Mario Land, which was her first appearance in a Mario game.

Mariomario64 said:
Daisy could at least appear in a game other than a spin-off, let alone star in one. She hasn't been in one of those since Super Mario Land, which was her first appearance in a Mario game.
And her first appearance in any game. She should be in Super Mario 3D and Luigi's Mansion 2.

basically .......... it's secondary, title is not important

what makes sense is that whether the main characters can be main protagonist as same as Mario

except DK, Wario and Peach, Yoshi do have their own game, but as the title of side story

I think what Nintendo should do firstly is that ensure the main characters are significant in Mario's main games at first

41 said:
No.

:waluigi: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Every other Mario character in existence.

The truth=you

Those guys who have one starring role or less are the guys that deserve the most spotlight

Yacker said:
Mario and Luigi 4 should have :wario: and :waluigi: as playable characters.
the basic problem is the relationships of all main characters
Bowser ans his son are the main villians
Toad, Toadette, Toadsworth and Daisy should have appeared in most recent main tranditional series as they are close friends of Peach and live near by the Mushroom castle (Nintendo's unsolved problem)

the others DK and kongs, Wario bros and Yoshi, Birdo are Mario's other friend or rival
but in theory they don't live in Mushroom Kingdom so they appear more seldom in main games, unless other reasons (the only unreasonable one is Yoshi)
since Daisy and main toads are prior, and even they have no chance yet, no more talk for Wario bros

or as the title, Wario and Waluigi can get their chances in their own Wario series gamess

Back