Paper Mario (fangame) beta

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
Sup people of the Super Mario Wiki Forums

I would like to announce the creation of a new mario fangame!!!

The title as of now is just generically named "Paper Mario" until a proper subtitle is added to it.

Here is an EXTREMELY early beta screenshot


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see from it, it shows paper mario as he looked in TTYD, stranded on a small island with nothing but a pipe on it. In the background, a large boat, which is temporary at this point and is from wind waker, is seemingly sailing towards the small island mario is on.

Despite the look of the screenshot, the games story will not be revolved around the sea and pirates, rather it will range from multiple themes and places.
I do not want to announce the game's story yet, since it's at such an early state, but the style of the game will take on more of like a "pop up" book like style.
Hopeyou guys keep up with the game's progress ;) :mario: :luigi: :bowser: :peach:
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
If you actually finish this project it could be pretty cool.

Also bro fist for having a shyguy username.
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
Herr Shyguy said:
If you actually finish this project it could be pretty cool.

Also bro fist for having a shyguy username.
*brofists* thanks
What do you think of the screenshot and what are you expecting from the game? The voice of the players is what matters most.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
The screenshot indicates that you know what you're doing and that you're not just some guy with zero experience announcing a big fangame that will never get done.

As for what I'm expecting, I don't really know what to expect from the finished product.
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
Herr Shyguy said:
The screenshot indicates that you know what you're doing and that you're not just some guy with zero experience announcing a big fangame that will never get done.

As for what I'm expecting, I don't really know what to expect from the finished product.
thanks ;)
I am a big fan of the paper mario series when it was in it's rpg roots, so turn based battles may return but with several new additions and changes.
I had the concept of being able to have your whole team in a battle rather than just one partner and if mario is defeated in a battle, the rest of the team can still win it and give you some of your items to help you back up, but I don't know if it will make the game too easy.
 

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
shyguy777 said:
Herr Shyguy said:
The screenshot indicates that you know what you're doing and that you're not just some guy with zero experience announcing a big fangame that will never get done.

As for what I'm expecting, I don't really know what to expect from the finished product.
thanks ;)
I am a big fan of the paper mario series when it was in it's rpg roots, so turn based battles may return but with several new additions and changes.
I had the concept of being able to have your whole team in a battle rather than just one partner and if mario is defeated in a battle, the rest of the team can still win it and give you some of your items to help you back up, but I don't know if it will make the game too easy.
That seems fine, but make: A. Weaker partners B. Less partners C. Something like 3 partners in battle (Like SMRPG) D. Really tough enemies.
I am excited for this!
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
Actually with all the partners at normal power in battle at once he could make some really interesting boss fights.
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
Question, on which platform would you release this (Browser, PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Wii, DS, etc.)?
It looks way better than the most fan games I've even seen on the internet.
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
YamiHoshi.nl said:
Question, on which platform would you release this (Browser, PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Wii, DS, etc.)?
It looks way better than the most fan games I've even seen on the internet.
I'm glad that you guys are interested in the project.

The game's official title is now Paper Mario Epics. An "epic" is a big,dangerous journey revolved from the experience of one person, in this case, Mario.

Since the game is in it's prototype stage, I will be keeping the game somewhat secret, also becuase it has changed quite a bit since the first update. The screenshot above probably won't make it in the final product. The prototype footage will be put on youtube as soon as it's presentable enough.
But for now, i'll post this screenshot of Super Bowser, just to tease you guys ;)




Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
Unless he's writing it in a native language (C++, Java, C, C#, etc.).
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
Luigi's Mansion said:
True. But, I want to know, and try it out, because I fail with many game creation programs.
The game is written with Blitz3d. It's become somewhat imfamous becuase many people just keep on using the sonic engine to make bad games with it, but it has also made some damn fine games.
Paper Mario Epics is made with Blitz3d with an engine that I coded myself. The game has yet to be seen on video, so don't get fooled by other similair blitz3d games.

The program costs $100 us dollars.
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
If it's really Blitz3D, then it's confirmed that this will be Windows only, just like 90% of all good PC games. (¬.¬)
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
YamiHoshi.nl said:
If it's really Blitz3D, then it's confirmed that this will be Windows only, just like 90% of all good PC games. (¬.¬)
I'm sure the game will run fine on any platform.

Now I want to ask on your guy's opinions for the game's art direction. I am conflicting between the style of the screenshot first posted( the island) or a somewhat Super Mario Galaxy like style, like the screenshot below.


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I would like your guy's opinions on it. It's impossible to get further in a game when you can't decide which art style to go for.
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
Koopa Kid said:
If you do, I'd be soooooo mad
noooooooo of course not! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Blitz3d costs $100. The game will be free to download. I would never sell a fangame for money.
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
I see Blitz3D uses DirectX, which only works on Microsoft platforms (if it was OpenGL, it could work on anything).
 

shyguy777

Koopa Troopa
YamiHoshi.nl said:
I see Blitz3D uses DirectX, which only works on Microsoft platforms (if it was OpenGL, it could work on anything).
oh yeah, your right. Blitz3d games should run fine of mac though, unless you have a linux, then I wouldn't know.
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
I actually have all platforms, which have their own use (Windows for capture devices, Linux for servers and extreme internetting, Mac for work and video editing, BSD and DOS are just for fun).

I'm not really sure about Blitz3D working on a Mac, as DirectX is a Microsoft product, and the newer the builds are, the higher version of Windows you'll require (DX9 for XP, DX10 for Vista, DX11 for W7, etc.).
 
Top