• Rainbow Dash

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Twist said:
Other than the babysitting exposition, we don't go much into her personality or background.

With only 44 minutes to spare. That would of required sacrificing some of the scenes we got of the Main 6. They probably would of brought stuff like that had this been a 2-hour movie. But they still managed to pace the Finale pretty well.

Wait a moment.

If Cadence and Shining used their love-burst-heart-beam-whatever to repel the Changelings...

...wouldn't that just make them stronger?

I mean, they feed on love, right? And you're using love to repel them?

Idiots.

Northern Verve said:
Twist said:
Other than the babysitting exposition, we don't go much into her personality or background.

With only 44 minutes to spare. That would of required sacrificing some of the scenes we got of the Main 6. They probably would of brought stuff like that had this been a 2-hour movie. But they still managed to pace the Finale pretty well.

The Mane 6 honestly did somewhat little other than fighting the Changelings and being poor judges of character. It also goes to show why big stories like this don't work with 44 minutes.

However, I would have no objection to taking some extra development time from the useless Tori Spelling segments.

Toad85 said:
Wait a moment.

If Cadence and Shining used their love-burst-heart-beam-whatever to repel the Changelings...

Idiots.

Well, you may have a point there. But here's something I found recently that sums up my thoughts on what the so-called "Power of Love" thing was

"The Power of Love is part of Cadance's speciality, and may have technically never hit Queen Chrysalis, any more than the gunpowder from a sniper's shot hits the target. If it had it would have probably been about as effective as Pinkie Pie assaulting Spike with cake (IE made things at least marginally worse). Under this theory, the spell was Shining-Armor's specialty spell, just POWERED by Love. To use an analogy: SA was the big gun, with plenty of conventional rounds at his disposal NORMALLY, Queen Chrysalis had just hijacked all his ammo... then Cadence shows up and says "Umm... I don't know what this is, but I think the label says you could fire it...?"... the gun crew jaw drop, then grin maniacally as they load up the tac-nuke shells.... Ok, so that analogy is backwards from my earlier one about the sniper shot, but they both explain matters I think."

So yeah, it wasn't pure Love that defeated the beings that fed on love. It was used as a extra powerful reload of Shining's shield spell.

Albeit it's not explained afterwards. But it's perfect because we both learn that those spells are Cadance's and Shining's trademark ability and they work together to dispatch the Changelings.

The only thing I didn't like in the finale is Celestia said "Mare and Colt". Why not "Mare and Stallion"?
YM21p.png

Toad85 said:
Wait a moment.

Idiots.
Well, technically, I think it's Shining Armor's magic protection spell that repelled them, Cadence's love and healing powers just amplified it. That's the theory I have, anyway.

Smashgoom202 said:
Toad85 said:
Wait a moment.

Idiots.
Well, technically, I think it's Shining Armor's magic protection spell that repelled them, Cadence's love and healing powers just amplified it. That's the theory I have, anyway.
The "love" powers of Cadence still should have strengthened the Changelings.

But they weren't going towards the Changelings, they were going toward Shining Armor. Besides, it's unclear exactly WHAT the feeding process is for the Changelings, so perhaps there's a particular method they have to use.

So hey, I just wanted to say that Hurricane Fluttershy is the best episode ever, and stuff. :yoshi: :posh:

I see there is some legitimate analysis in this thread, which is nice. I've migrated to to this nice serious board with strict rules to keep the icky part of the fandom out. Check it out if you'd like to discuss pony more as the poniless summer begins, for many of us, for the first time.

Oh hi there Wayo. I never fully knew you were quite a fan of the show. But nice to see another user I know that likes it. And yeah Hurricane Fluttershy was one of the best episodes of Season 2. Even the entire series I'd say.

And as for FiM specific boards. I'm fine with Equestria Forums. A bunch of nice Bronies there and while things do sometimes go a little crazy nothing goes too wrong really. I have made a few friends over there myself too.

Northern Verve said:
I knew that I wasn't the only one to notice the connection between the two scenes. I love subtle stuff like this.

178382%20-%20animated%20filly%20shining_armor%20then_%26_now%20twilight_sparkle.gif
Yeah, I noticed that. Only the second time around, neither Shining Armor nor Twilight seem happy.

Read It and Weep is kind of polarizing... visually it's very impressive, it's an interesting concept, but from a character standpoint... there isn't much development there.

Wayoshi said:
So hey, I just wanted to say that Hurricane Fluttershy is the best episode ever, and stuff. :yoshi: :posh:

Yeah, it was one of my favorites (if not my favorite) from season 2.

Maybe I'm a bit biased towards it because FS is my favorite, but still.

So apparently, it's Pinkie Pie's birthday today, if what she said in A Friend in Deed is to be believed. I thought April 29 was her birthday, that's when "Party of One" premiered, but whatever.

There really is no official Birthday for any of the Main 6. Heck we can't even celebrate all of the Main 6's Birthday anyhow because Pinkie and Twilight were the only ones to have a birthday in an episode. Any suggestions on what the others birthdays fall on would be just pure guesses.

I believe it was confirmed that Zecora's birthday is a day before Cheerilee's. And I believe Cheerilee's birthday was the day A Friend In Deed aired.

Magikrazy said:
I believe it was confirmed that Zecora's birthday is a day before Cheerilee's. And I believe Cheerilee's birthday was the day A Friend In Deed aired.

I mean only Main 6. Spike and Gummy also had Birthdays in-show but of the Main 6 only Pinkie and Twilight had birthdays in-show.

I don't think you can pin their birthday on any specific date without knowing the in-show date, and the days, months, and years might be different length than ours (unless Equestria is supposed to be on Earth in some alternate universe.)

Yeah I don't think we even know if the months are exactly the same. Though the day names are at least. (In Lesson Zero and It's About Time, Twilight mentions Tuesdays. So if Tuesdays exist then obviously the rest of the days of the week are used in Equestria as well.)

I actually kinda disliked Hurricane Fluttershy, if only because I found it was way too similar to Dragonshy.

Fluttershy is afraid of doing something, gets ridiculed by one character (RD in Dragonshy, Spike in Hurricane), tries unsuccessfully to confront her fear, pretty much gives up towards the end of the episode, some plot device happens that makes it so Flutter absolutely has to do the thing she's afraid of, she does it successfully, and is praised.

It's pretty much stock for her character, and it kinda bugs me that the staff couldn't be more creative with it.

I liked Hurricane Fluttershy a LOT more than Dragonshy, because Dragonshy basically amounted to Fluttershy being forced to confront a situation she did not want to be involved in at all, so everything she did was completely reactionary. Hurricane Fluttershy, on the other hand, was about making a conscious decision to confront her own doubts and low self-esteem, and UNLIKE Dragonshy, in which Twilight dismisses Fluttershy's genuine fears as nerves and Rainbow Dash wasn't at ALL helpful to her, both of them were there to support Fluttershy and wanted her to do the best she could. Rainbow Dash ALMOST goes into her typical mode of aggressiveness like she did in Dragonshy, but catches herself before she goes to far, and instead opts to be more sympathetic and deal with Fluttershy's personal problems with a lighter touch.

Because, you know, some people are more sensitive like that, and telling them to just suck it up and stand up for yourself does NOT HELP AT ALL! You need people who can be there to support and encourage you, which Fluttershy did have. And, I believe, thanks to that, she found the courage within herself to do what she had to.

Unlike Dragonshy, in which Fluttershy talks down to a dragon, but then is immediately back to being a scaredy cat, and her fear for dragons hasn't changed in the slightest. Yeah, she saved the day, I suppose, but the episode as a whole just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I couldn't help but feel more sorry for Fluttershy and how ignored she was during the episode, even BEFORE she was dragged off to face the dragon.

I'm personally glad Hurricane Fluttershy and Dragonshy didn't turn out to be in the same order number. That would of beena really hard choice for the Comparison thing I'm doing. Though I think I would of gone with Hurricane Fluttershy.

The whole scene where we learn she was bullied... I had so many feels.

Speaking of the episodic comparisons though...

Well, here I go with Look Before You Sleep and Mysterious Mare-Do-Well.

This is pretty much the closest it gets to a free space in Bingo. At least for Season 1 becuase with many reasons said everywhere Mysterious Mare-Do-Well was the most flawed and the worst episode of Season 2. The poll in the Episode section of the Worst Episode of Season 2 thread amounts to this as it hasm more then 20 votes while every other episode barely reaches 10. I could just put the scoreboard down and give Season 1 the vote and be done with it. But I'm not going to do that. I want every single episode to have a chance, even for episodes like Mare-Do-Well. But Spoiler Alert: Mysterious Mare-Do-Well loses this but it's going to depend on how much it loses.

There's hardly any similarities between Look Before You Sleep and Mare-Do-Well. You could say both have a conflict between friends but alot of the episodes have that so it's really irrelevent.

Look Before You Sleep is where we get into character conflicts. With obviously Applejack and Rarity arguing over what to do with Branches and their different lifestyles. Also in this episode is Twilight who is cheerfully hoping for a great 1st Slumber Party. I'll be honest that as much as later on in the show I apprecated more Adorkable Twilight I kinda thought it was a bit much back when I watched Look Before You Sleep. Because it was so jarringly different from when episodes ago Twilight was sarcastic. Heck the episode after has her go back to how she was in the pilot. It was that behavior that hooked me into the show and it just seemed weird to have her suddenly act all happy about a Sleepover. Also another thing is that in regards to the first half of Season 1 this episode was the least interesting as the episode before and after it were all amazing (Dragonshy and Bridle Gossip). But for what it's worth it does have it's interesting character interaction. Moments like the Pillow Fight, "The Headless Horse", and the way Rarity and Applejack clear the tree at the end and apologize all are great scenes. It's still a good episode though, just not really one that's among my favorites.

As for Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, yes I have heard at least some of the details that make you realize that this episode just wasn't all that strong. And as I said before, Mare-Do-Well isn't getting the win. But after rewatching it does kinda bug me that it's had a huge reaction really. It's believed that this episode is the reason Rainbow Dash sort of had a falling out and went down to the bottom of many fans Favorite lists. I personally don't understand the thought of one episode entirely ruining a character for someone, I'd understand if it's something in a show where it's a watershed and that character just isn't the same afterwards. But I believe Rainbow Dash was still sort of cool in this episode. Even with the big ego and all. I kinda felt the Superhero elements were pretty neat. And led to some clever usage in the background music. But the same old issues bring this episode down-to-earth with some things like Ponyville suddenly being a town of danger, a bit of Hypocrisy from both Rainbow Dash and the others of the Main 6 and more. I'm willing to accept that this episode is the worst of Season 2, possibly the entire series. But there was still some parts of it I enjoyed like I do with every other episode. The flaws of the episode aren't enough for me to get angry or rant about the episode in a negative way. It may be the worst episode of the entire show, but in an average cartoon an episode like this would still be top gun.

In case you didn't get what I said early. Yeah Season 1 gets this point. But more because Look Before You Sleep had some nice character interaction and less flaws then Mare-Do-Well has. Me giving the point to Look Before You Sleep isn't because I feel pressured because of fan reaction to Mare-Do-Well. As Look Before is actually a better episode, but I do feel that Mare-Do-Well doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. And the fallout should not go on Rainbow Dash as a character or Meriwether Williams for one bad episode.

Season 1: 3
Season 2: 5

Back